As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

You cannot raze capitals.
Surprise! Turns out I'm a girl!

(November 6th, 2016, 16:14)Ituralde Wrote:
[Image: 20161106220152_1.jpg~original]
what is wrong with this screenshot?
1. no harbor (+1 tr) in Cairo.
2. no commercial district (+1 tr & GM points & cd buildings) in Cairo.
3. too much food & too little cogs.
4. campuses and GS suck.
5. the holy district tile must have been reserved for an aqueduct.
6. so much accumilated faith. wow. maybe switch into Theocracy and buy some units? btw Theocracy and buying land units with faith is OP imho.
7. plan to build the Eiffel Tower with 47.5 cogs per turn. lol. the Eiffel Tower is 2100 cogs on std speed.
8. the entertainment district should have been build earlier.
9. a lot of gold... waiting for the Big Ben?
10. I see little point in theatre districts excluding the tourism VC. on second thought, is it profitable to build at least one TD for the archeological museum to spam archeologists to exchange relics for gold and/or cities from the AI. hm....

btw, RPS put up an article about Call to Power (What Civ VI Could Learn From Civilization: Call To Power). dancing
worth a read if you have never played Call to Power.
me on civfanatics.com
An ideal strategy game would tone down efficiency challenges, while promoting choices and conflicts
No gods or kings. Only Man.

Game is a bit buggy. I'm still trying to finish finish RB6-1. On turn 329 the game locked on unit needed orders. I kept clicking, and no unit ever showed up to move. Reloaded, and it did it again getting locked. My third attempt I must have gotten a sequence a bit different, and was finally able to continue on to turn 330.

(November 7th, 2016, 06:58)Molach Wrote: Its a bit disappointing that they yanked "always war" and "one city challenge" as selectable option. They existed in 4.

They existed earlier, but were formalized in to the game because Civ4 was super fan friendly.

There may have been a general "out with the old" approach here.

They also shipped with fewer maps than any Civ since 3. There could also be some element of "we included a ton of stuff from Civ5 expansions, so we don't have the resources to support these other, older ideas for the initial release." Whether that evolves in to their return later is anybody's guess.

We didn't need formal support to run these variants in Civ3, though. The community might be better off to let them go and focus whatever political capital is available on bigger fish.

- Sirian
Fortune favors the bold.

Sirian, we need your map scripts badly. The maps generated are really meh. And having continents that block both the north and southpole so that you can't even sail around them? Weird stuff.

Let's hope the community will get around all those restrictions. I am planning to meddle with a MOD that reduces/eliminated war weariness as this is a real no-fun element here.

(November 7th, 2016, 14:23)Hail Wrote:
(November 6th, 2016, 16:14)Ituralde Wrote:
[Image: 20161106220152_1.jpg~original]
what is wrong with this screenshot?
1. no harbor (+1 tr) in Cairo.
2. no commercial district (+1 tr & GM points & cd buildings) in Cairo.
3. too much food & too little cogs.
4. campuses and GS suck.
5. the holy district tile must have been reserved for an aqueduct.
6. so much accumilated faith. wow. maybe switch into Theocracy and buy some units? btw Theocracy and buying land units with faith is OP imho.
7. plan to build the Eiffel Tower with 47.5 cogs per turn. lol. the Eiffel Tower is 2100 cogs on std speed.
8. the entertainment district should have been build earlier.
9. a lot of gold... waiting for the Big Ben?
10. I see little point in theatre districts excluding the tourism VC. on second thought, is it profitable to build at least one TD for the archeological museum to spam archeologists to exchange relics for gold and/or cities from the AI. hm....

btw, RPS put up an article about Call to Power (What Civ VI Could Learn From Civilization: Call To Power). dancing
worth a read if you have never played Call to Power.

Thanks for the questions. They're all viable, but this was taken from a Succession game I am running with my brother that we started on the day of release.
So the short answer to all of your questions is that we didn't know any better and are still figuring things out.

Longer answer:
Eiffel Tower got built without any problem though, we have been in Theology for quite some time, missed Big Ben and still can not decide on a Victory Condition. An Aqueduct is acutally running to the Oasis north of Cairo. The lack of hammers comes from the poor terrain, but we could have made more use of Trade Routes sooner. This is on King difficulty and we're cruising along to a win right now.

(November 8th, 2016, 19:57)Sirian Wrote: They also shipped with fewer maps than any Civ since 3.

Didn't they ship 5 with just Pangaea, Continents, Archipelago, and Earth? The rest were added by DLC and expansions. Unless I'm super confused

The victory screens are weak. I could tell I was leading toward a culture win in Adv 1, but no guess how close. Last night, the game comes up and tells me I've won.
The win was HUH? - I had looked at my status shortly before the win, and didn't realize how close I was.

(November 9th, 2016, 10:26)yuris125 Wrote:
(November 8th, 2016, 19:57)Sirian Wrote: They also shipped with fewer maps than any Civ since 3.

Didn't they ship 5 with just Pangaea, Continents, Archipelago, and Earth? The rest were added by DLC and expansions. Unless I'm super confused

You may be confused.

Amazon, Great Plains, Ice Age, Inland Sea, Highlands, Lakes, Oval, Terra, Tiny Islands, Sandstorm -- and three MP-focused maps: Skirmish, North vs South, and East vs West. I may be misremembering one or two, but Civ5 shipped with a wide array of maps, then added a bunch more in the first expansion, and finally two Map Packs DLC after the second expansion came out, all of the continental and national maps, which had fixed landmasses but randomized terrain and resources (to an extent).

I even got the chance to fix some of the leftover problems from Civ4 maps for Civ5's large batch of release maps.

- Sirian
Fortune favors the bold.

(November 6th, 2016, 13:05)MJW (ya that one) Wrote: ...you only worked on maps so I think Brain would be able to grind you down if he tries.

I worked exclusively on design my first 1.5 years on Civ6. When it came time for the map work, then all of my work time was taken up by that, because of how very much work was done redesigning the map generation system from the ground up.

You guys are operating off few facts and lots of conjecture, and there are *many* things that you are guessing wrong.

Having been on the inside for five but now the outside for six, I am in much the same position that Sulla was for five. I don't know what's gone on behind the scenes with six, but I do know enough not to make assumptions. The best thing to do is focus on the current state of Civ6. Those are the facts that we can all see and are in best position to debate. The hows and whys may be interesting fodder for conjecture, but we should all keep in mind that that is what it is, and not grow too certain about what we THINK we know, because it's quite easy to guess things wrong.

- Sirian
Fortune favors the bold.