As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Dave's Not Throwing Away His Shot

By the way, now taking suggestions on what to name my religion. 

At the moment, I'm leaning towards "War on Drugs," but I'm open to anything.

And guess who's grabbing Defender of the Faith if it's still up when I get my first apostle....

(July 6th, 2017, 18:05)oledavy Wrote: .Woden has no motivation to make peace, as it will simply help Alhambram, the player who put him out of the game. 
Yeah, I was wondering why you expected to get an alliance with Singaboy for an iceball.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(July 6th, 2017, 21:22)Commodore Wrote:
(July 6th, 2017, 18:05)oledavy Wrote: .Woden has no motivation to make peace, as it will simply help Alhambram, the player who put him out of the game. 
Yeah, I was wondering why you expected to get an alliance with Singaboy for an iceball.

You never start with what you're actually willing to pay....you always lowball at the outset Commodore  neenerneener 

I wasn't expecting him to accept, I was hoping he would counter with his own ridiculous offer, and then we could figure out something in the middle. 

I would also argue that Alhambram and Woden's relationship is a mite different than me and Singaboy. Alhambram took Woden from a game-winning position to out of the running in the space of 8 turns. Singaboy and I have had conflicts, but have never fought an existential struggle with each other. I've never burned one of his cities, and have always been forthright in my dealings with him.

(July 6th, 2017, 20:58)oledavy Wrote: By the way, now taking suggestions on what to name my religion. 

At the moment, I'm leaning towards "War on Drugs," but I'm open to anything.

Prohibition? wink
War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.

If you're a Pratchett fan, how about NotWeeDavy?
Though that's kinda hard to decipher...

Could stick with your theme and name the religion Federalists, or The Federalist Papers, or Constitutional, something like that.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

(July 7th, 2017, 07:38)Mardoc Wrote: Could stick with your theme and name the religion Federalists, or The Federalist Papers, or Constitutional, something like that.

I can't believe I didn't think of this. Sold! Federalism it is.

Now I just have to hope I actually get to found my religion and Alhambram doesn't win first  lol

Turn 170

Welp, I was hoping Singaboy would reply with a ridiculous deal of his own and he did. 

[Image: sHhipFA.png]

I doubt this is a sincere offer though, as he didn't include an alliance in the package. There is no reason for me to accept this deal, as it would just screw me. I would have to depend on his goodwill, which doesn't seem like a wise idea. 

I'm increasingly facing the prospect that Singaboy and I will be fighting on t180. At least he's been nice enough to telegraph what he wants. 

[Image: oJlWsNm.png]

Unless I can get my army between him and Hattusa, the city will likely wall very quickly. I give it two turns. My army is speeding towards this front, aided by my great general's movement buff. I will be upgrading muskets to infantry along the way, but waiting until last minute so that I get to use the movement buff from Gustavus in the meantime. 

The religion plan is looking good. I should have my Great Prophet in 13 turns, on t183. I think I can have the last Holy Site finished by t187, and the religion founded then. Meanwhile, what cities can are switching over to military builds. I currently have 4 bombards in production. Next turn, I will finish Nationalism and Replaceable Parts. I'll swap into the +50% production card and Professional Army, queue up 4 infantry in cities that are free, and begin upgrading muskets and combining a couple into corps. 

I think if I make it through the next 20 turns or so, I'll be set to win this thing. I have to stave off two major and one minor threats at this point in time. The first major threat is the possibility of Alhambram winning via religion. However, if I make it through the next 17 turns, that one will be all but ruled out for the remainder of the game. The second major threat is the posed by him and Singaboy 2v1ing me. This is probably the strongest the two of them will be relative to me for the rest of the game. The minor threat is the long-term one posed by Alhambram if he is able to successfully integrate all of Woden's lands. I think my economy will still outpace his, especially with my tech head start, but I can't be certain. 

Right now, my game plan is to reduce the ways in which I can lose. After t187, Religion will be off the table. I'll have a giant head start if it comes to a space race. Alhambram winning via domination/concession by overrunning me is the biggest short-term threat, but if I hold the line over the next couple dozen turns, I will become unassailable (especially if I grab Defender of the Faith). That leaves Culture. However, even with the addition of all of Woden's wonders, I think I can keep that under control, or at least ensure it takes a long time. I have ridiculous cultural production thanks to Acropolises, and I can ratchet it up even more if I need to. I additionally am planning on fighting Alhambram for future cultural GPs and stealing his great works with my spies where I can. All this combined should ensure a cultural victory attempt from Alhambram would take a long time. He'll also lose quite a few stored tourists if I eliminate Singaboy. 

However, that's all long-term thinking, right now, my foremost priority is making through the potential 2v1. 

[Image: Ou0Ukpy.png]

Singaboy and Alhambram signed an alliance. I'm not ruling out the possibility that I may be able to make peace with Alhambram and strengthen my position immensely, but it's looking less likely. At least my short front with Alhambram makes defending feasible. I should be getting out about 8 more military units to join my existing forces in the next 10 turns, so if my frontlines hold and casualties are kept to a minimum, reinforcements will not be far away.

Turn 171

I woke up early this morning before going canoeing to play a quick turn. Thankfully, this time I think I made all really solid decisions.

First up: 

[Image: dXRi4jU.png]

Damn it Woden....I really need that gold right now. 

Still, every Cossack he ties down taking chinese cities is one not coming to Theodosia. So, after looking around in game, I accepted. Hopefully that gets him one more infantry than he would have had otherwise. To what end, I'm not sure. 

I will feel foolish for investing in him if next turn he's made peace with Alhambram, but I'll cross that bridge when I reach it. 

Anyway, Replaceable Parts and Nationalism in, so this swap happened: 

[Image: Ovcf683.png]

I combined my four muskets around Theodosia into 2 Muskets corps, and upgraded one of the muskets on its way to Hattusa into an infantry to increase my city strength. The biggest benefit of getting to the modern era? Modern roads. .5 movement cost each  yikes

Instead of struggling along on industrial roads and having .5 movement points leftover on each unit every turn. Now, my units move 4 tiles base along roads. My units with the GG aura can make 6 tiles per turn. This alone is going to ensure my army gets to Hattusa in time to prevent its fall. 

Turn 172 just reached me, so I'll be brief in closing: 

[Image: 2cFPr46.png]

Woden is spreading his religion to me. Maybe he thinks he can use an inquisitor on my city? Anyway, it will all be pointless when I found my own. I'm surprised he hasn't noticed the Holy Site under construction.

Turn 172

The Barnstormer fell to Alhambram, bringing Woden's total city losses to 5 thus far. Still no civil engineering to really stop the bleeding. 

[Image: lVGhS9B.png]

At this point it's just a matter of time. Still just incredible. I would never have thought this could happen. 

It's worth considering if I should be willing to declare on Woden at some point to snap up some of his eastern holdings. However, since I am still at war with Alhambram, and have a war with Singaboy brewing, it would probably be best to wait on that for now  lol

Also of note, Alhambram built Alhambra. With a name like that I'm surprised he didn't build it sooner. Anyway, a nice pick up for him. I would have liked to compete for it, but the stars just weren't aligned for me to do so. 

This was the first turn I could make peace with Alhambram. 

[Image: lKHM1XN.png]

Let's see if he comes at me with an offer. I'll have a much firmer idea of how things will shake out very shortly. 

Singaboy has massed his army on the Hattusan border, but my army is en route and upgrading as it goes. I'm feeling fairly confident in my ability to fight Singaboy at the moment - even considering my war with Alhambram and my slowed mobilization. However, I can't afford to get too overconfident. Alhambram's army is twice the size of mine, and while my defenses are formidable, he could still overwhelm me were he not still knee deep in taking Chinese cities. Hopefully by the time he thinks to attack me, however, I'll be in position to fend him off with ease - all while absorbing Singaboy. 

Easier said than done though. While I can definitely prevent Singaboy from taking any of my cities, he's got a TON of units, certainly more on the way, and will be a massive pain to kill. At any rate, we'll see how the diplomatic situation pans out over the next few turns, and go from there. It's looking more and more likely that I won't be 2v1'd at my most vulnerable point, however.  jive

I haven't shown an overview of my empire in awhile, so here's a couple screenshots: 

[Image: q8Mgp1H.png]

[Image: Rg9fCbN.png]

Questions about builds, district placements, improvements, are welcome as always. 

Also, check out the ice wines in the deep south  lol I don't think I've ever seen the RNG throw out that combo before.