As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

Poland is only 'on par' because they've released even more crazy DLC civs afterwards. Kind of seems like an effort to try and top whatever they previously released, honestly. Seems to be working though, lot of people on reddit or youtube or whatever seem really hyped about it and talking about the 'flexibility' it provides. Flexibility meaning the ability to stomp your way through war or science, of course. Wonder if this is a trend that'll carry through to the DLC expansions. Still holding out hope for that.

Here is the reddit thread if you want to go see what some people are saying about it for a lark.

Yeah, those dlc bonuses are getting rather ridicilous. Well it is a big, shiny buy me sign.

(July 25th, 2017, 19:12)Japper007 Wrote: It was the same way with civ 5 too: Strongest civs are Korea, Babylon and possibly Inca and Maya, guess which ones are DLC? That's right! All of them... rolleye

Considering T-hawk's most successful games were played as Poland, I would argue it's far from being the case. Korea and Babylon - yes, they're up there. Inca and Maya I didn't find particularly impressive. Civ5 imo succeeded in making civs which play differently from standard ones - an effort which culminated in creating Venice - but Inca with their hill bonuses is one of them. They're not necessarily stronger - they're just different

I think I will end up following the pattern I followed with Civ5 and pick up a complete edition on sale for peanuts about 2 years from now. After watching the bugfest which played its part in PBEM2, my impressions were on the lines of "it's great that the guys had fun despite all these bugs, but I better stay away for now"

(July 26th, 2017, 05:36)yuris125 Wrote:
(July 25th, 2017, 19:12)Japper007 Wrote: It was the same way with civ 5 too: Strongest civs are Korea, Babylon and possibly Inca and Maya, guess which ones are DLC? That's right! All of them... rolleye

Considering T-hawk's most successful games were played as Poland, I would argue it's far from being the case. Korea and Babylon - yes, they're up there. Inca and Maya I didn't find particularly impressive. Civ5 imo succeeded in making civs which play differently from standard ones - an effort which culminated in creating Venice - but Inca with their hill bonuses is one of them. They're not necessarily stronger - they're just different

I think I will end up following the pattern I followed with Civ5 and pick up a complete edition on sale for peanuts about 2 years from now. After watching the bugfest which played its part in PBEM2, my impressions were on the lines of "it's great that the guys had fun despite all these bugs, but I better stay away for now"

Well T-Hawk could probably take Venice and make it look good so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, that guy is just another level... But poland in civ 5 is without a doubt a top tier faction, I just forgot about them, haven't played civ 5 much since civ 6 came out and I detest the BNW expansion.

Inca and Maya are both beastly expansionistic civs. 
Maya can go full ICS, even in BNW, with just their pyramids (+2 science +2 faith) and a Granary in every city (both unlocked at Pottery), provided they manage to snatch Pagodas and tithe or some other great beliefs.
Inca can abuse their free roads (if you plan them out carefully) and their extra food on hills to go both "wide and tall". With the hill bonus, their workers are almost as absurd as India Fast Worker in 4.

The upside with the DLC civs being blatantly overpowered is that no one needs to be nickle and dimed to play multiplayer around here since all of the balanced set are in the base game.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

(July 26th, 2017, 12:20)Trasson Wrote: The upside with the DLC civs being blatantly overpowered is that no one needs to be nickle and dimed to play multiplayer around here since all of the balanced set are in the base game.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'd say we have quite a lot of interesting options in the base game. And another plus is that, so far, only Civs, City States and Natural Wonders were released as DLC. Civ 5 had World Wonders as DLC (Temple of Artemis and Mausoleum of Mausolos, Statue of Zeus for some time), and that feels like a worse impact into the game. Civs, CSs and NW kind of feel like "part of the map" (so you can play without them), while Wonders, units and techs feel like "part of the game". I wouldn't want to see "parts of the game" as DLC.

Then again, the Nubian First Look video shows a new World Wonder. Hopefully it's avaiable as part of the patch, not as part of the Nubian DLC.

(July 26th, 2017, 12:30)Ichabod Wrote: Yeah, I'd say we have quite a lot of interesting options in the base game. And another plus is that, so far, only Civs, City States and Natural Wonders were released as DLC. Civ 5 had World Wonders as DLC (Temple of Artemis and Mausoleum of Mausolos, Statue of Zeus for some time), and that feels like a worse impact into the game. Civs, CSs and NW kind of feel like "part of the map" (so you can play without them), while Wonders, units and techs feel like "part of the game". I wouldn't want to see "parts of the game" as DLC.

Then again, the Nubian First Look video shows a new World Wonder. Hopefully it's avaiable as part of the patch, not as part of the Nubian DLC.

Apadana and Huey Teocalli were both part of DLC packages, so they are continuing with adding the occasional wonder into the mix.  They're also doing that with the natural wonders (The Giant's Causeway, Eyjafjallajökull, Lysefjord, and Uluru).

[url=http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Eyjafjallaj%C3%B6kull_%28Civ6%29][/url]

(July 26th, 2017, 12:44)suboptimal Wrote:
(July 26th, 2017, 12:30)Ichabod Wrote: Yeah, I'd say we have quite a lot of interesting options in the base game. And another plus is that, so far, only Civs, City States and Natural Wonders were released as DLC. Civ 5 had World Wonders as DLC (Temple of Artemis and Mausoleum of Mausolos, Statue of Zeus for some time), and that feels like a worse impact into the game. Civs, CSs and NW kind of feel like "part of the map" (so you can play without them), while Wonders, units and techs feel like "part of the game". I wouldn't want to see "parts of the game" as DLC.

Apadana and Huey Teocalli were both part of DLC packages, so they are continuing with adding the occasional wonder into the mix.  They're also doing that with the natural wonders (The Giant's Causeway, Eyjafjallajökull, Lysefjord, and Uluru).

It seems I'm not very informed.  lol

But Huey Teocalli is avaiable for everyone, right? Just as the Aztecs. Or does it work different? Anyway, I had never heard of Apadana, so there goes my little theory.

Yeah, DLC sucks... Great games are built around communities and I'd prefer that companies stay away from choices that divide the community. But, well, it's how things work. Best I can do is not spend my money on it.

(July 26th, 2017, 13:01)Ichabod Wrote:
(July 26th, 2017, 12:44)suboptimal Wrote:

It seems I'm not very informed.  lol

But Huey Teocalli is avaiable for everyone, right? Just as the Aztecs. Or does it work different? Anyway, I had never heard of Apadana, so there goes my little theory.

Yeah, the Aztecs were given to non-deluxe edition buyers as "free" DLC after the fact.  Apadana needs to be built next to the capital and gives +2 Great Works slots and +2 envoys when you build a wonder in the city, including Apadana.

For the natural wonders, Eyjafjallajökull and Uluru give additional tile yields/appeal, Lysefjord gives naval units promotions and The Giant's Causeway gives +5 combat strength to land units who end their turn adjacent.  Suffice it to say that last one is....interesting....when you build an encampment right next to it. eek

Summer patch is up

Quote:Reduced the cost of the Aqueduct by 30%, and Sewers by 50%
Reduced cost of all other districts by 10%
Increased the discount for districts you have less of from 25% to 40%
Increased costs of district buildings by 10% (except Aerodrome buildings), and increased per settler cost bump by 50%

They decreased the cost of districts, which I like. I don't understand exactly waht the bolded part means. Does it means that the added cost for a each new settler will go up by 50% of what it was? (I think it was 20 hammers, so it'll be 30 hammers for every new settler?) Or am I mistaking something? It seems a bit strange to clump these two changes on the same line of the patch notes, since they have nothing to do with each other.