As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

What is your field/career?

(September 21st, 2017, 09:12)Krill Wrote: Also aren't most of the posters on this site scientists by training? I think I am one of the few that works in a different field but I've still got that chemistry degree.

Following from Krill's question in the Brexit thread, here is a thread to discuss the training and careers of users who are comfortable sharing.

Here are some questions:

1) What degrees and diplomas do you have?
2) Is there anything of note you specialized in during your education?
3) What is your current job and/or your career?
4) Is there anything of note you specialize in at your job?
5) Are there any past jobs you've done that are of interest?
6) What is your name, address, and credit card PIN?

My answers:

1) Bachelor of Arts, general (the three-year one), but really history. Really burned out during university, but the subject matter remains my chief passion.
2) Canadian military history, also some French.
3) I am an unemployed lout and am currently trying to do some writing.
4) Procrastination; fantasy.
5) I was a guide at a National Historic Site, costume and all.
6) The Dragonborn, Breezehome, Whiterun, Skyrim, and I manage to carry 13 000 gold pieces on my person at all times.

1)BA in Archaeology and MA in Aegean Archaeology
2)Late Bronze Age Aegean Sea, both sides.
3)Retail frown Canadian Tire though, could be worse. Also wrote a book last year.
4)No
5)I "worked" as an archaeologist on one of the more controversial pipelines here in BC, but that's too long a story to type out on my phone.
6)James T Kirk, Iowa, what's a "credit card"?

1) Master in mathematics
2) A bit of logic, and more algebra than most math students.
3) Math teacher as of this month
4) Being late at preparing my classes
5) Not really
6) Adrien Fekete, Saint-Ouen (just north of Paris) France

(September 21st, 2017, 12:20)Mr. Cairo Wrote: BA in Archaeology and MA in Aegean Archaeology
Late Bronze Age Aegean Sea, both sides.
Retail frown Canadian Tire though, could be worse. Also wrote a book last year.
No
I "worked" as an archaeologist on one of the more controversial pipelines here in BC, but that's too long a story for my phone.
James T Kirk, Iowa, what's a "credit card"?

What was the book? And it's some thing they have on Ferenginar.

1) BS Materials Science
2) One thing but would reveal identity
3) Some materials testing job
4) Would reveal identity
5) Not really...
6) Nope

1) I'm a Bachelor of Law, I think (not sure how to put it in English). Law School works a bit different in Brazil than what I know of in the USA/UK. It's a 5 years University Course, not a Masters Degree.
2) Nothing special. I guess Theory of Law was my main interest, but I can't say I'm well versed at the subject.
3) I work as a Lawyer, mostly with Social Security Law (as in, helping people retiring). I'm trying to finish a novel, but the road has been pretty bumpy. I'll probably start another University course eventually, something related to programming is my current ideia.
4) No. 
5) I was a football player, as all Brazilians... No, not really.
6) Ichabod Crane, currently residing in Sleepy Hollow.

There was a carving in the toilet of my University that said "Humanities are for stupid people".  lol

1) B.A. for Chemistry, studied for an MS in Food Science
2) I didn't specialize in anything during my studies
3) I work as a flavorist
4) Beverage flavors
5) Nope.
6) Not ready reading Drive A Abort, Retry, Ignore?

(September 21st, 2017, 12:57)Ichabod Wrote: There was a carving in the toilet of my University that said "Humanities are for stupid people".  lol

I hope the future archaeologists find that. What's the novel about?

(September 21st, 2017, 12:31)TheHumanHydra Wrote: What was the book? And it's some thing they have on Ferenginar.
The ferengi offer credit?

It isn't truly finished yet, and gainful employment is hindering efforts, but it's a historical fiction set in the late bronze age Aegean (who'd have guessed), about Atreus.

(September 21st, 2017, 14:00)TheHumanHydra Wrote:
(September 21st, 2017, 12:57)Ichabod Wrote: There was a carving in the toilet of my University that said "Humanities are for stupid people".  lol

Hey! Nothing wrong with Archaeology, unless you want to make money or have a decent standard of living, and who wants that?

Also, what's your book about?

(September 21st, 2017, 14:19)Mr. Cairo Wrote:
(September 21st, 2017, 12:31)TheHumanHydra Wrote: What was the book? And it's some thing they have on Ferenginar.
The ferengi offer credit?

It isn't truly finished yet, and gainful employment is hindering efforts, but it's a historical fiction set in the late bronze age Aegean (who'd have guessed), about Atreus.

They must. 'Once you have their money, you never give it back,' after all.

That's really cool. If it ends up in print or you choose to publish it online, please let us know! Despite having studied history, I always felt that I didn't know enough of the little details to write fiction that would be convincing -- e.g. I put a wardrobe in my medieval fantasy story, then learned they didn't have them! I'm guessing your archaeological background gives you a better grasp on such things.

How long is it?

(September 21st, 2017, 14:19)Mr. Cairo Wrote:
(September 21st, 2017, 12:31)TheHumanHydra Wrote:
Ichabod Wrote:There was a carving in the toilet of my University that said "Humanities are for stupid people". lol
Hey! Nothing wrong with Archaeology, unless you want to make money or have a decent standard of living, and who wants that?

Also, what's your book about?

Too true! No dig (ha!) at archaeologists intended, just thought it would be a funny thing for our progeny to find. Mm, while we're on the topic, my dad actually trained in American archaeology, though he never used it. If only he were a generation younger; apparently they have some work in Ontario right now.

Mine is your run-of-the-mill pseudomedieval fantasy in concept; I can only hope that it shows some sparkle in execution. But first I have to glue myself to my seat and actually write it through ... and revise it ...

Thanks for asking!