As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

What is your field/career?

(September 21st, 2017, 11:53)TheHumanHydra Wrote: 1) What degrees and diplomas do you have?
2) Is there anything of note you specialized in during your education?
3) What is your current job and/or your career?
4) Is there anything of note you specialize in at your job?
5) Are there any past jobs you've done that are of interest?
6) What is your name, address, and credit card PIN?

1) BS Physics.
2) I was on the fencing team.
3) Programmer for a computer that runs CNC machines.
4) Lots of trigonometry and complicated geometry.
5) I worked one summer in a factory that built packing crates, which taught me how bad people are at math. Typical problem that several co-workers couldn't begin to solve: a 4' x 6' crate will be covered in 1/2'' plywood. How long should the cross members on the skid be so the plywood is flush?
6) Severian, Seekers for Truth and Penitence, the Claw of The Conciliator.

1) What degrees and diplomas do you have?
- M.A., MSci Natural Sciences

- Physics, specifically particle physics. For a brief week in my final year I think I actually understood the the theory behind the Higgs field. Not any more.

Software engineer.

Telling young people to slow down and understand the problem before trying to fix it by randomly trying a different "docker base image" (replace the words in quotes with latest fashionable tech every few years).

Not unless you enjoy software development war stories.

Uhtred son of Uhtred, Bebbanburg, 1234.

So yeah, I fit pretty much into the centre of the RB demographic map.

Enoyed the exposition of the Cantor proof.
It may have looked easy, but that is because it was done correctly - Brian Moore

(September 21st, 2017, 11:53)TheHumanHydra Wrote: 1) What degrees and diplomas do you have?

1. BS Civil Engineering
2. No specilaization, civil engineering is a very broad field and I chose the more generalized track to give me more flexibility after graduation
3. Construction management. I chose to go the construction route, because the thought of a desk job crunching numbers and writing reports as an entry level design engineer sounded highly boring to me
4. Problem solving / troubleshooting / patience. The day-to-day bores me at times, I thrive when things aren't going according to plan and we need to improvise. I'm an empirical/pragmatic thinker, so while I have the design engineer on the phone trying to figure out how things are supposed to work, I start pushing buttons and pulling levers, looking for patterns to point me to the issue/solution.
5. Only previous job of not was foreclosure renovation
6. Florida, home of sunshine (and the occasional hurricane) but I'll take the humidity any day of the summer over snowy and icy winters, or long months of overcast and rainy weather

(September 23rd, 2017, 23:47)TheHumanHydra Wrote: Adrien, I think I understand. Sorry if I made your eyes roll. smile

No eyes were rolled in the making of my posts (or in the reading of other posts on this thread).

If you guys want another amusing math trivia thing, here's the Ulam spiral.

[Image: Ulam_spiral_howto_all_numbers.svg]

Now let's look at the prime numbers on that spiral.

[Image: Ulam_1.png]

Lines appear, which is not something one would expect (there is no obvious link between the spiral and prime numbers).

Now let's color the dots, blue for composite numbers (and the more composite it is the bigger the blue dot) and red for primes.

[Image: Spirale_Ulam_150.jpg]

Lines again ! Lines everywhere !

Edit : don't use the black theme if you want to see the first image

(September 24th, 2017, 06:01)DaveV Wrote: Typical problem that several co-workers couldn't begin to solve: a 4' x 6' crate will be covered in 1/2'' plywood. How long should the cross members on the skid be so the plywood is flush?

lol  duh I know the feeling, it's hard to find qualified workers in construction. Three-fourths of applicants under 30 either walk out the door after being informed of the drug test, or fail the tests after(and while) swearing they've never touched anything. Of those that pass the drug test, a dishearteningly small number can pass your crate test above

(September 24th, 2017, 01:52)Dreylin Wrote:
(September 23rd, 2017, 23:47)TheHumanHydra Wrote: Thank you to RefSteel, Ichabod, suboptimal, Adrien, Dreylin, Dark Savant, and anyone I missed for your answers to my particular questions.

I note that no-one has asked /you/ any questions yet, so I want to know: which historic site, and what costume? wink

I've only been to Canada once (to the true side of Niagara), but I do want to go back. Calgary is our business location, but where would you recommend?

Oh, thanks. smile Actually, it was in Niagara; Fort George and Brock's Monument National Historic Sites.

You know, the funny thing is that I haven't actually seen most of Canada. I am told that the two coasts are the most beautiful. The city of Quebec, which I have been to, has streets of cobbled stone and long history, and of course one of the more unique cultural experiences you can have on this continent since everyone speaks French (but they probably have good English too). Montreal is bilingual and also interesting. Ottawa has our parliament and a fantastic national war museum. Toronto is the most multicultural city in the world. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention that my native Kitchener has a symphony hall that is renowned across the world for its sound architecture and nearby Stratford is famous for its Shakespearean theatre. But those two aren't big cities with a lot of other attractions.

Edit: I don't understand why this image is sideways. Bah.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(September 24th, 2017, 07:31)AdrienIer Wrote: If you guys want another amusing math trivia thing, here's the Ulam spiral.

Q: What is a composite number?
Google answer: not prime.

And 'more composite' ... means more factors?

Anyway ... those lines are fascinating. There is a pattern to the Ulam spiral? I haven't looked at what you provided long enough to see it ... but you can certainly see that each quadrant appears different. For example, the top and bottom quads has some 60* lines that the left / right quads don't.
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

Yeah by more composite I mean with more factors.

I'm not sure what kind of pattern you're looking for :/

(September 24th, 2017, 07:11)shallow_thought Wrote: 5) Are there any past jobs you've done that are of interest?
Not unless you enjoy software development war stories.

Who doesn't enjoy software development war stories? cool

(September 23rd, 2017, 08:11)The Black Sword Wrote: 6) Turin Turambar, Dor-Lomin. Should meet Huinesoron soon.

You keep your stupid bridges away from my city! Ugh, mortals are the worst...

(I never would have guessed your name was a Mormegil reference. ^_^)