As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

*shrug* Getting science from my CHs during my golden age was cool. But yeah, I didn't feel much of a difference between dark and normal ages.

I'm also getting more and more annoyed with the era score because you have so little control, as others have pointed out already.

Great! You were the first to found a pantheon. (By popping faith from a goody hut.) Have 3 era points!

vs

Oh, you finally got a pantheon too? (By crawling up to it with God King.) Have 1 era point!

So much of it hinges on being the first to do X! Yeah, I sure did blindly send my scout in the right direction to find this natural wonder! I'm so awesome!

Oh, at a glance the golden age screen just blended in with the normal and dark age bonus stuff.

But still, the penalties are so paltry for dark ages that they actually seem BETTER than normal ages. You get the option of the policies, and the chance of a heroic age next era. The loyalty penalty is non-existant as long as your expansion isn't completely reckless. The best strategy seems to hold off on era score so you get a dark age, then set yourself up for a slingshot the next era into a heroic age. Given the choice between normal and dark, you go dark every time.

I guess it might be different in multiplayer where you can have human players exploiting your dark age by aggressively settling right next to you?

The thing that really bugs me about era score is that it's impossible to get a normal or golden age in ancient times if you're playing without barbarians or goodie huts, 2 features I always try to play turned off. Although I read that they "nerfed" barbarian horse arches (only reduced the range they have to be from horses) so maybe I'll try them agian.

I feel R&F has created a even bigger imbalance of things. Golden Ages enable religious civs like Russia to spam settlers/builders for faith. Magnus gets everyone with sufficient forests to chop out anything under the sun.

And apparently, either they purposely or accidentally changed the rules for GG. The amount of movements is now no longer determined whether a unit is within the radius of a GG prior to the next turn, but changes within the same turn. This means that a unit can cross a river to exhaust its movement but then get new movement points when the general gets near. As the GG can move 4 tiles a turn, this can lead to a ripple effect where the military units continuously get more movements the same turn.
Catapults can now shoot with even a mere 1 turn movement left when under the influence of a GG. I am not sure whether this is just buggy or intended

Okay I played a couple more games of R&F now, and loyalty is just an absurd system. Not only is city flipping after conquest back, it is even worse than it used to be in old titles, often flipping back to the defender in ~10 turns (5 to go "free city", 5 to go back to original owner shakehead ). It's a fun little puzzle in Single Player to figure out how to hit the high population core cities to break the loyalty chain, but I shudder to think how much this'll break Multiplayer. It seems like it'll make defense stupendously easy, especially now that GG stacking is gone (right?). I'll wait and see in our first R&F game, but I think modding it out may be the better solution.

Has anyone tried a loyalty-based domination victory, like you could do with culture in Civ 4? I feel like it might be possible, but am struggling to see a good way to do it. The Dutch seem like they could work, if you can get like 15 or so trade routes, found a city and put them all in for an instant 15 loyalty/turn, but I'm really unsure if that's actually enough to flip anything.
Surprise! Turns out I'm a girl!

From the moment that I saw the governor ability on Magus, it was obvious to me that the Rise and Fall designers had absolutely no idea what they were doing from a gameplay balance perspective. It's the same team that worked on Civ: Beyond Earth so, uh, yeah, that's not reassuring at all.

Well, at least the non-expansion version of Civ6 is pretty good for Multiplayer, right? alright
Follow Sullla: Website | YouTube | Livestream | Twitter | Discord

Do you have to wait for Magnus to be established in a city for his ability to fire? I never tried assigning him and then chopping on the same or next turn.
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

(February 11th, 2018, 20:28)Chevalier Mal Fet Wrote: Do you have to wait for Magnus to be established in a city for his ability to fire? I never tried assigning him and then chopping on the same or next turn.

Yes.  For all of the governors the loyalty boost to the city is immediate, all other abilities establish after the 5 turn waiting period.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

I've played a few games. EMP was beaten without too much trouble. Deity would be very hard for me but that level requires luck to win (avoid being rushed) so you can just restart until you get lucky. I feel I will play a few more games on IMM until I can beat it without too much trouble and call it a day.

(February 11th, 2018, 19:58)Dp101 Wrote: Has anyone tried a loyalty-based domination victory, like you could do with culture in Civ 4? I feel like it might be possible, but am struggling to see a good way to do it. The Dutch seem like they could work, if you can get like 15 or so trade routes, found a city and put them all in for an instant 15 loyalty/turn, but I'm really unsure if that's actually enough to flip anything.

In one of the livestreams, they built entertainment districts and were running "Bread and Circus" projects to get Brazil's cities to flip. I haven't tried it yet but one way maybe to forward settle, slap an entertainment district down, and run projects to apply loyalty pressure. Also think it might work best if you have a neighbor in a Dark Age and you are in a Golden Age.