As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Slay the spire

Anyone else playing this? Seems like it would be a good fit for the RB audience especially those into variant play.

What is it: A roguelike deckbuilding game (think Dominion, Puzzle Strike) where you try to make it to the top of the spire (dungeon) beating enemies and a bosses at the end of each act. There are 3 acts in each game and a possible 3 bosses on each act so each playthrough has 9 different boss combos. You start with an initial deck of 10~11 cards depending on your class and you can choose to add a new card(s) to your deck at the end of a fight or through events. In addition, you can remove cards from your deck at shops or events, which is important since you want to replace the generic cards in your starting deck with higher quality cards. You can also upgrade your cards to better versions at camp sites or events. There are items you can get through your play which can definitely have an impact on what kind of deck you want to play.

You fight by playing cards that attack, defend, buff, debuff using the available energy (think mana in HS or gold in Codex), and you definitely should play your turn based on what the enemies will do since you can foretell what their moves will be like into the breach. At the end of your turn, you discard you hand and draw 5 new cards (just like Dominion and Puzzle Strike).

Why you might like it: The ultimate "play the hand you are dealt" game since you cannot stick with the same strategy everytime because of the cards and relics you are dealt. You have to know all the possible interactions and payoffs to really master the game. Right now, I am kind of stuck on Ascension 4 difficulty (sort of equivalent to Emperor+ difficulties in Civ1), but there are players who can winsteak in Ascension 15, the current highest difficulty, so there is a real skill test.

Why I like it: See above. Native OSX version. Really shows that graphics in games are overrated compared to gameplay and music.

What I don't like: hacked leaderboards, but this is a universal problem. Kind of repetitive once you know what you are doing. Uneven payoffs since Elite fights are seriously not worth it after Act I, and campfires in general are very high priority. Could definitely use more QOL improvements such as not needing to end turn manually when you have no legal moves left.

Overall very impressed with it.
Youtube Channel Twitch aka Mistoltin

Having fun with this, even though I am terrible at it. lol Have not managed to get past the act three boss fight yet; have died there a couple times now.

Finding ways to get around the usual limitations on cards and energy seems to be the key to a really strong run. Getting more energy than the default three per turn, or reducing card costs (including to zero) so you can play more actions, is powerful and there are a number of ways to do so. Which relics appear is also very crucial for certain approaches and combinations of effects. There are lots of ways to combine things, so it is fun to experiment.

I've played quite a lot of Slay the Spire with pretty much all deck types and I agree it's a good game.
However, I think the game is not particularly well balanced: Energy boss relics are completely superior to anything else. Fighting the final boss with 5 vs 3 energy just makes too much of a difference for my taste. I am sure there are players who can do it anyway, but I feel the balance is off in this regard.

Also, if you want to try different decktypes be prepared to restart a lot - a certain key card may or may not appear during your run which can be a little frustrating when you try to run an exhaust deck for the 5th time in a row...  wink

The balance does seem a bit iffy right now, but the game is still early access. Certain cards or relics showing up can make a huge difference; random encounters can swing from hugely positive to hugely negative. There is certainly skill involved in making the best of what you get, but the random factor is quite large and that can be frustrating.

it's heavily based on dream quest, check it out.

I love it, but I really suck at it. I've only made it to Boss 3 (died there) once, and that's in standard mode! I probably just need to git gud though, only 20 hours in so far. 

From what I've seen so far though RNG is still a bit too strong. Some runs are breezes with strong items/card drops easy encounter/bosses, while others seem almost doomed from the first act. I get that's supposed to be a factor in Roguelikes, but it could be tuned a little bit. That's what early access is for after all!

This guide for the Ironclad is pretty nice, it's quite detailed:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...1270902550

I might have to check that guide for the ironclad. I have about 10 runs with the ironclad, reaching the third boss twice and dying both times. frown So today I tried my first run as the silent, never played the class before, no idea what cards it gets or read any strategy stuff for it. Victory. lol

I don't know if I just got extremely lucky, or the silent just fits my play style better, or perhaps some of both. But it was very odd to just breeze through to victory on the very first run with the class, no unlocks yet earned. Strange how things go, sometimes. lol

Just play again and see what happens. lol  I'd say if you picked up 1-2 Footwork with Noxious Fumes and Catalyst it's quite possible to cruise through the game. The thing I noticed with The Silent is that if you use a deck which cycles a lot of cards, the Time Eater end boss can be very annoying.

If you want to check out different builds for The Silent, there is a list on the wiki:

http://slay-the-spire.wikia.com/wiki/Silent

Hmmm, don't recognize 1-2 Footwork or Catalyst at all; don't think I saw them. I did get a Noxious Fumes and it was useful. And the Time Eater was very annoying, but was defeated anyway.

The biggest thing about the run was energy; I got a couple cards that provided additional energy in the following round, and then got the velvet choker (I think that is the name?) as the act 2 boss relic. I had rounds where I had 7 or 8 energy, and was running out of cards while while having energy left. lol Never had that happen with the ironclad.

Thanks for the link to the wiki, will have to check it out.