As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Slay the spire

Can't believe I missed this thread first time around. I've been playing a ton of StS - it's super fun.

Another good resource to add to Gustaran's solid recommendation of Rhapsody is joinrbs (twitch.tv/joinrbs), who has a ~60% win rate on Ascension 15 (the highest level of Ascension). He only gives sporadic commentary, but he plays a ton and has put together a spreadsheet of all of his Asc15 runs (here). The way he values cards is particularly interesting, and his ELO ratings give a pretty good account of how much he prioritises certain cards.

Neat Graph! Is there an equivalent for ironclad?

Take a look at all the threads at the bottom, many different pages.

Sorry, yes - should have pointed out there are lots of tabs at the bottom. Full card analysis for both classes, and some extra data on enemies in there too, in terms of avg HP lost.

There are a couple of cards in there that are very highly valued that I might not have expected... Feel No Pain is one. Even without an exhaust-focused deck, you tend to get value from it for incidental exhausts and status effects that exhaust (Dazed, for example).

There are some in there that aren't so surprising... Offering is #1 for Ironclad. Single best card in the game, IMO.

(April 13th, 2018, 07:31)v8mark Wrote: There are a couple of cards in there that are very highly valued that I might not have expected... Feel No Pain is one. Even without an exhaust-focused deck, you tend to get value from it for incidental exhausts and status effects that exhaust (Dazed, for example).

Indeed, that is very interesting, thanks for posting. I don't know how valuable Feel No Pain is if you only run 1-2 exhaust cards in your deck, but you make a very good point that it is a great defense against enemies who put a lot of daze cards in your deck. Sometimes the Chosen enemies in act 2 can be a real problem, I can see FNP making these a lot easier.

As for the streaming, while 60% winrate at Ascenion 15 is expectionally good, I watched a run and didn't really enjoy the commentary all that much. I certainly don't doubt his skill level and of course this is a question of taste, but I personally prefer streamers who explain their actions a little more.
It gets even worse for me when the streamer starts babbling about some random topic unrelated to the game while I am sitting there scratching my head and hoping for some sophisticated insight into their strategy... lol

But of course your mileage may vary, it is always good to have a choice.

As if on cue, he's put this up today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu--f99IKew

I see what you mean otherwise though! He doesn't talk a whole lot about the game in normal play.

Haha, I have to check out that video.  lol
I did actually search Reddit for the most popular StS streamers and he is indeed mentioned quite often as one of the best. So maybe people playing Ascension 10+ don't want the explanation and draw their own conclusions seeing him play.

Also recommended quite often is "Celerity", who appareantly has managed a 50-0 winstreak in normal mode:
https://www.twitch.tv/celerity

Thanks to all the tips and videos shared in this thread I finally got my first victory this evening bow , ended up being a close one: 

[Image: 20180416024453_1.jpg]

beat the Awakened One  with just 2 HP left (screenshot is AFTER the post battle heal), phew. I need to get better if I ever want to "ascend" but I'll comfort myself with the fact that it was my first time facing the boss at all and I was at 60/90 hp before I even entered the room.

That's an impressive win - you have, what, 3 powers vs the Awakened One? And a 39-card deck as well... you did well to win that one!

(April 15th, 2018, 13:32)Gustaran Wrote: Haha, I have to check out that video.  lol
I did actually search Reddit for the most popular StS streamers and he is indeed mentioned quite often as one of the best. So maybe people playing Ascension 10+ don't want the explanation and draw their own conclusions seeing him play.

Also recommended quite often is "Celerity", who appareantly has managed a 50-0 winstreak in normal mode:
https://www.twitch.tv/celerity

On the first point, I think it's a combination of a couple of things. 1) the level of discourse is very different for someone wanting to streak on Asc15 compared to someone trying to get their first win, for example -- there's a lot more assumed knowledge. 2) he plays a ton, and a lot of the same people are watching, so there isn't so much of a running commentary.

(You can probably add 3) he's generally quite quiet and understated, with a bone-dry sense of humour, so being energetic and talkative isn't his thing compared to someone like Rhapsody, for example. But that's aside from the Asc15/normal differences.)

Celerity is apparently very good - I've not watched much of his stuff. Streaking on normal is a very different thing from playing Asc15, as mentioned -- so I think a lot more of his commentary is likely to be relevant to a lot of players.

I was up to a 13-streak on Ironclad the other day, before getting Champed... it's very satisfying to get to a point where you can turn most runs into a win. There's really a lot of depth to this game.