As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

I will say it again here, they need to take an FFH approach and make everything horribly OP, so nothing is.

They nerf Magnus instead of solving the root cause of the problem which is the ridiculous overflow mechanism, the fact that no city is even close to produce any meaningful amount of shields that could match any chop or harvest. A city making 40 shields a turn at size 15 and a chop producing 120 hammers at the same time?

Then they don't touch the most insane wonder, the Arsenal. Never mind that naval units are far superior to any other units due to unrestricted movements and wall crushing abilities (unless you play pangaea maps). Making everything OP might be a great idea for SP but MP will always result in a lottery then.
Just looking at the imbalance of most or the PBEMs here, I think there is a serious problem, which is magnified in R+F

By the way, does anyone know whether Firaxis will release the code for Civ6 so that a community mod might be able to balance things a little?
Over at civfanatics they talk about the community mod for civ5 (which I refuse to play) and hold it in high esteem. Maybe a similar mod could ensure that Civ 6 gets the quality it deserves.

It seems I am talking to myself lately here in this thread. I have something positive to say. I fired up a quick SP Always War game as Rome (vanilla) and to my positive surprise, the AI is making things a lot less easy. This is on emperor difficulty and my quick (read= non optimized MM play) play through results in England being technologically really ahead of me giving me a hard time attempting to conquer 45 strength cities with Legions etc.

Does anyone have the same experience?

Just a little bit of SP time for me lately, but I've noticed it being a bit more challenging. I think a lot was remedied by fixing that silly typo that made the AI value faith so much -- but it's still the same AI with war situations. They just now have a more competent economy.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

I'd agree that the AI has definitely changed, but... it's also gotten stupider in some ways.

I had a game ongoing before the patch, and the change as soon as it rolled over was instant. Previously, I'd had one war with France (Cathy attacked me, I took one of her cities, everyone called me a warmonger forever after... you know the drill), and that was about it. I was first or second in the military rankings, and people pretty much left me alone.

Then the patch did something regarding joint wars. With the Aztecs #1 in military, they joint-declared on me with France. Monty didn't do anything with it (the only combat was when I walked a crossbow into his territory to see if I could snipe anything), and Cathy... well, her military score was about 25 and she had two cities. I could have rolled over her in half a dozen turns if I'd wanted.

Not too long after I wrapped that up (Monty proved difficult to make peace with, because of course neither of us had lost anything, so he just wanted to keep fighting...) the Kongo hit the top of the military rankings, and joint-declared on me with the Vikings. Neither of them attacked me; my biggest problem was with Harald's allied city-states. Again, I could have stomped the Vikings if I'd wanted. The Kongo was halfway around the world; the only thing I saw from them was a single Ironclad.

We made peace; I kept playing; and after a while it was Kongo-Viking time again! Again, neither of them bothered to do anything about it. (Mvemba was ticked that I wouldn't keep my archaeologists away from his territory, is what was going on.) This isn't just 'the AI can't move units properly' - it's 'the AI doesn't even try'. So why are they bothering to declare? Both of them were happy to make peace once the ten turns were up. If I hadn't gone out of my way to try and attack Kongo myself, I could have entirely ignored the entire purported war.

hS

The AI is less of a moron in regards of economy. No longer you get mass AIs going for 60-70 faith at an early date, and an AI actually managed to get 70 science when I had only had 40 (religion game on my end).

Still better then nothing.

I got a good old-fashioned ass kicking on Deity, that hasn't happened to me since my first game! Definitely some improvement. That gives me hope for the future of this game (and the franchise) again.

I did have Nubia in my game try to funnel it's entire 800 strenght military into a narrow passage between two lakes though so take it with a grain of salt. Held it off with a few archers and some swords... Warfare still seems to push the AI's shit in on any difficulty.

EDIT:
[Image: 20180515214216_1.jpg]
This also still happens...

Yesterday in a SP game I experienced the bug where I was not able swap policies when a civic completed. The civic was Craftsmanship, I'd researched past 50%, finished the improvements, received the pop-up that Craftsmanship had been boosted to completion, but government was still locked.

(May 16th, 2018, 08:30)Cornflakes Wrote: Yesterday in a SP game I experienced the bug where I was not able swap policies when a civic completed. The civic was Craftsmanship, I'd researched past 50%, finished the improvements, received the pop-up that Craftsmanship had been boosted to completion, but government was still locked.

I think that's the bug sullla ran into before leaving PBEM7. If I understand correctly, when a civic you're not actively researching at the moment finishes due to the boost, you don't get to swap policies or governments.