As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

It's Clobberin' Time! Raging Barbs Highlands Tokugawa on Monarch

The whips down to size 1 were for granaries, timed to complete on a half-full food bar. I wouldn't have done it for anything else, but I was under the impression that specific scenario would make sense for cities with only one good food tile (at most). Have to say that I didn't do any detailed city-specific maths, so could have been wrong.

That irrigated farm should have gone over to GA as soon as it was finished - that was definitely sloppy.

And yes, got my wires crossed on Julius' demands there. Still might have accepted the second despite the economic damage. I really didn't like the idea of rejecting him twice in a few turns. Not as we really want our power over on the Incan border. We'll have to see if he's kept happy or not, I guess.
It may have looked easy, but that is because it was done correctly - Brian Moore

(May 29th, 2018, 15:49)shallow_thought Wrote: The whips down to size 1 were for granaries, timed to complete on a half-full food bar. I wouldn't have done it for anything else, but I was under the impression that specific scenario would make sense for cities with only one good food tile (at most). Have to say that I didn't do any detailed city-specific maths, so could have been wrong.

That irrigated farm should have gone over to GA as soon as it was finished - that was definitely sloppy.

And yes, got my wires crossed on Julius' demands there. Still might have accepted the second despite the economic damage. I really didn't like the idea of rejecting him twice in a few turns. Not as we really want our power over on the Incan border. We'll have to see if he's kept happy or not, I guess.

Don't worry about it, especially not the grassland farm. I'll make that change smile

And about the granary whips: whipping with the 1/2 full food bar is a great move. But I'd only do it at size 1 if we have like a corn or a pigs or something; otherwise it takes too long to regrow to size 2. (it takes 2 turns to grow to size 2 with a 6 food surplus and 11 food in the box and ... 4 turns with a +3 food surplus; better to regrow sooner from size 1).

I think we're on the same page but I didn't want to come across as too critical. I apologize if it rubbed you the wrong way.

The turnset looked pretty good when I inherited it, I should also emphasize.
"My ancestors came here on the Magna Carta!"

www.earnestwords.com

Looks like we have lots of good things happening. smile

On whipping down to size 1, I generally find it to be worth it to finish the granary. Otherwise generally not, if you are whipping away a decently strong tile.

I think it is useful to have a Hindu monastery, just in case we decide we need to spread Hinduism. Not likely that we will need/want to, but it is useful to have the option for it.

A couple of the odd cottages (like the one at Golden Axe) were built before we had CS for chain irrigation. We can restructure now for more food if needed. We have cities where some mines will probably need to be replaced by windmills once we have Machinery, as well. We will find things for our workers to keep busy. nod

I have not had a chance to look at the save; do we know where Willem is, or did we just meet a wandering unit? I do not see any of his color in the mini map on the screenshots, but that is pretty small so I am not sure if we actually found his borders somewhere.

Julius Caesar declared war on T186. Cost us 30 gpt in addition to facing down Praetorians.

Had to stop after that. Will play and post tomorrow.

www.earnestwords.com

So much for buttering him up by cutting off Mansa (and I'd hoped to trade him our new wine to help be friendly as well). I'd really hoped to avoid this. Cats and shock HA's (we have at least one stable I think) might be abel to give him a nasty reception, but it's all hammers we want to be using elsewhere rant .

EDIT: I have a nasty feeling he has war elephants too.
It may have looked easy, but that is because it was done correctly - Brian Moore

If JC has phants moar cats is the only answer.

Of course he'll have a mix of everything put into a stack with one cat walk to our nearest city and try for a 20 turn seige.

My advice whip walls along the southern border and get some warm bodies down there.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

(May 30th, 2018, 05:46)Brian Shanahan Wrote: My advice whip walls along the southern border and get some warm bodies down there.

You forgot the map script; everyone is cold on HLs.

I'll go away now....

Well, like others I had hoped to avoid this. frown At least until we could start the war ourselves at a time of our choosing. But it is not really a huge surprise -- Julius is very aggressive and with cats he was planning to attack someone.

We definitely want walls in our border cities. They are very cheap since we are protective, and will slow down the AI significantly. We will need to see just what Rome is bringing, but obviously we want plenty of axes for praetorians. Shock axes if we can get them. A few spears for anti-mounted, or lots of spears if he does have elephants. Some horse archers will be good as well, but they are expensive so I would not make them the core of our forces.

What does our diplo with the rest of the AIs look like currently? Avoiding a mass pile on is going to be vital. Fighting Rome is going to be challenging, but if Gilgamesh or others join against us things could get really messy really fast.

The first stack has no anti-mounted. He does have war elephants trickling in behind.

Oh and he has 4 catapults in the first stack.

I was trying to find the stack once he went “we have enough on our hands already.” I found it when he moved it up to our border.

Oh and I am also at war with Huyana and Mansa has enough on his hands too. But he might give us Open Borders which I’ll take if I get the chance. Better than nothing, I suppose.

Shaka and William are at war. And Gilgamesh cares not for our fate. But I have a trade connection with him on T187.

So we will see. Be ready for interesting times, RFS-81.

I’ll play and post tonight.

www.earnestwords.com

And I'm totally amused because I definitely whipped down to size 1 in a couple places, right after I scolded shallow_thought for doing the same thing.

#hypocrite #human #ifyoucanthandlemeatmyworstyoucanthandlemeatmybest #hashtag

www.earnestwords.com