As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

It's Clobberin' Time! Raging Barbs Highlands Tokugawa on Monarch

(May 30th, 2018, 09:47)Zalson Wrote: So we will see. Be ready for interesting times, RFS-81.

Getting war practice was an objective, right?
It may have looked easy, but that is because it was done correctly - Brian Moore

(May 25th, 2018, 11:22)shallow_thought Wrote:
(May 25th, 2018, 09:56)Zalson Wrote: While we do need those silks, I don’t think I would have recommended founding that city without Civil Service or Machinery —or calendar. We can’t work the silk and the city can’t grow.

Ah, I probably shouldn't have left that sign there without flagging it up for discussion - or possibly I should have tried phrasing it as a question. Sorry if it misled you, RFS-81!

Hey, I thought I was going to clobber some wimpy civ without metal, and now I'm supposed to defend against elephants and praetorians! What a bait-and-switch!

EDIT: Weird that that quote ended up in there. I somehow got stuck in multiquote mode or something.

Rome having war elephants is bad news. frown We need spears, but even with spears they are hard to counter if he stacks them with other units. Also, elephants are very strong anti-mounted units. If Julius mixes praetorians and elephants with an occasional axe, his stacks will be extremely tough. Hopefully the AI will not be that smart.

Shaka and Willem fighting is good for us -- they should be too busy to intervene against us. Mansa hopefully will not like Julius after their earlier fighting and will not join against us, although since we cancelled deals he will not like us either. Huayna we are already fighting, but the Incas are not very strong. I do worry about Gilgamesh joining Rome's side. Or Huayna's. What are Sumeria's relations with Julius and Huayna?

Well, the solution to this problem is readily available:

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Samurai_(Civ4)

RFS-81, I should be able to get you close to these guys, I hope.
"My ancestors came here on the Magna Carta!"

www.earnestwords.com

(May 30th, 2018, 12:05)RFS-81 Wrote:
(May 25th, 2018, 11:22)shallow_thought Wrote:
(May 25th, 2018, 09:56)Zalson Wrote: While we do need those silks, I don’t think I would have recommended founding that city without Civil Service or Machinery —or calendar. We can’t work the silk and the city can’t grow.

Ah, I probably shouldn't have left that sign there without flagging it up for discussion - or possibly I should have tried phrasing it as a question. Sorry if it misled you, RFS-81!

Hey, I thought I was going to clobber some wimpy civ without metal, and now I'm supposed to defend against elephants and praetorians! What a bait-and-switch!

I'm expecting you to do both smile

Seriously though, conquering Inca and holding serve against Rome will be the order of the day. Once we get a city capture on Inca, we should be able to fund our way toward Machinery and the salvation that lies for us with Samurai: 2-3 first strikes, plus C1, plus 50% vs melee, means we'll have the advantage against all medieval units up to knights.

www.earnestwords.com

Samurai would certainly help. nod Getting our unique into play at a really key point in the game would be a big boost. And some protective crossbows would not hurt either.

After my summary, there isn't a lot to do for T180. I moved a bunch of stuff around, trying move further west toward Inca.

Here's a great spot!

[Image: first-half-17.png]

T181
Bureaucracy pls. I completely neglected to take a screenshot but I think we were +58/-169?

[Image: first-half-4.png]

t182
Well that's peachy.

[Image: first-half-9.png]
[Image: first-half-11-e1527739952154.png]

So how do you like these apples?

[Image: first-half-14.png]

And a side of ... wolfenstein?

[Image: first-half-15.png]

T183
JC is preparing for war.

[Image: first-half-5.png]

T184
Here's what's in Cuzco. We probably want a catapult.

[Image: first-half-6.png]

T185
Metal Casing. Building forges across the empire, headed toward machinery.

For all my planning, i don't play the way I plan. too many turns in a row. For instance, i forgot to whip Landstalker. Don't worry, I also screwed up in Contra.

[Image: first-half-10.png]

And, thanks for the help Mr. Barbarian it sure is nice that there are no problems anywhere....

[Image: first-half-1.png]

We should have paid tribute.

[Image: first-half-13.png]

So we go from mild economic mode to ... WAR mode. Watch this jump over the next few turns.

[Image: first-half-2.png]

Another downside is we're going to take a large hit to our GNP because of the lack of trade routes.

T186
Ouch. that's 30 gpt.

[Image: first-half-8.png]

Well that's a good result. Not really.

[Image: first-half-16.png]

Gilgamesh won't join the war because he does nothing except be a ruiner. Shaka's at war with Billy. And we're probably on the receiving end of a gift from Mansa, too.

[Image: first-half-7.png]

And that's where I had to stop last night.

www.earnestwords.com

Tribute to Rome might or might not have done any good. Julius may have been plotting war for some time. Or if it was more recent, one demand is not likely to make the difference.

Which farm was destroyed by spies? If it was one of our food resources, we should make sure to get it farmed again quickly.

Hmmm, Rome had a longbow in that stack. frown Feudalism tech means vassalage for more unit promotions, as if we did not have enough trouble. And if he gets to Guilds tech we could be facing knights. yikes After Machinery we may want to consider heading to Engineering for pikes, trebs, and increased road movement, and maybe even castles.

I stacked up a bit too much whip unhappy -- well, that and, you know we lost a happy resource. And I moved units. It was pretty painful at the beginning of this second session let me tell you!

T187
He's heading for Sonic?
[Image: 187-3.png]

Aha! Take that you fool, you'll starve without those pigs!

[Image: 187-1.png]

That is a lot of units.

[Image: 187-2.png]

T188
[Image: 188-1.png]
And there goes another ally.

[Image: 188-2.png]

Farewell brave archer. You totally saved our bacon by destroying Arretium's.

Is JC forking us? (No. It's the AI)
[Image: 188-5.png]

Gilgamesh's trade routes are a blessed relief. Mansa's the other candidate. Make sure you get Open Borders with him.

[Image: 188-3.png]

Go Barb Sword Go!

[Image: 188-4.png]

T189
Oh great.

[Image: t189.png]

Well he can't do much with it for a bit. So that's a relief (I voted for him so he is our friend?)

T190
Come on, Mansa, come through for us buddy...

[Image: 190-4.png]

Not much to do for it. The barbs are a mess up here because my attention is elsewhere. just shelter in place, you'll be fine. Maybe chop out walls if you're concerned.

[Image: 190-3.png]

The only theatre of war that really matters. I flanked the war elephant to damage the catapults. It was a stupid risk but it paid off. I'd recommend that you don't turtle in the city but the catapults are a heavy price to pay to destroy that stack. Just try not to lose units.

[Image: 190-8.png]

[Image: 190-1.png]

[Image: 190-6.png]
Ok, the other theatre of war. Catapult will reduce defenses by 8% a turn. Or you can move all the units onto flatland next to the city next turn, promote the cat to city raider, attack with it first (even if it is going to lose), and take it Cuzco. You have 2 units to heal so don't be afraid of the catapult.

[Image: 190-5.png]
[Image: 190-2.png]

Back up to number 2 in soldiers. And look at that spike!

[Image: 190-7.png]

A note here. These workers should move to the hill and road it, defended by the axe and the archer. Then you can get units into the city easier.

If push comes to shove, give up Flindo's Quest. It's not a very good city anyway. Don't lose Sonic.

Attached Files
.zip   SuperMario AD-1300.CivBeyondSwordSave 2.zip (Size: 252.53 KB / Downloads: 2)

www.earnestwords.com

(May 30th, 2018, 23:53)haphazard1 Wrote: Tribute to Rome might or might not have done any good. Julius may have been plotting war for some time. Or if it was more recent, one demand is not likely to make the difference.

Which farm was destroyed by spies? If it was one of our food resources, we should make sure to get it farmed again quickly.

Hmmm, Rome had a longbow in that stack. frown Feudalism tech means vassalage for more unit promotions, as if we did not have enough trouble. And if he gets to Guilds tech we could be facing knights. yikes After Machinery we may want to consider heading to Engineering for pikes, trebs, and increased road movement, and maybe even castles.

I checked at the beginning of the set. He wasn't plotting war yet. He'd have gone after Mansa again if he weren't at peace.

He did go theocracy T188 or something.

www.earnestwords.com