As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

NATURE Realm

By the way I'm wondering, wouldn't Transmute become too powerful for the AI if they learned to share with allies and remove adamantium from enemies? If both Nature and Chaos wizards destroy your ores, there won't be much games where you can actually use them.
Also, getting rid of the adamantium costs 1 use of Transmute, repairing it then takes another 3 uses, so not even Nature is a good solution to that sort of thing.

That's why I called them advanced.

Again those are the kinds of things I'd like split by difficulty. 
Ideally: On lunatic, they could remove enemy adamantium. On master they could help allies. On expert they could recognize which ones were on multiple of their own cities. On anything less the only extra thing I would like them to learn is not to create multiple adamantium on the same city.
Ideally, on expert they would also learn to add an iron/coal after they have an adamantium. (And on master they'd learn to choose/replace iron/coal based on the actual production of the city, and what the cost of the best unit for that cities race is.)

If in doubt, the only thing that I think should be added is to not create multiple adamantium on the same city.

Hello, I've just started playing the CoM mod lately and really like most of the changes. I'm not an expert so I have nothing to offer on game balance, but the one thing that stands out to me at the moment is nature having no generally relevant unit buffs until you hit the Rare spell level and iron skin is pretty expensive. Giant strength and stone skin were piddly little buffs, but it seems like the base game had lower stats in general so they could still be semi useful on your troops.  The main thing that bothers me about them being gone is that now nature doesn't really have any way to interact with your normal units until the late game, so it's buff your city for production or just spam lots of summons that slowly obsolete each other. I was looking and only saw discussion saying that you didn't want to copy holy armor/flaming weapons for nature.

One thought I had was for combining the tiny bonuses with some effect that mitigates damage to just generally make your troops last longer. Can you even add an ablative armor effect other than adding hp to each figure, though?  If not maybe some sort of Earthen Might that gives +1 attack and armor, and hp divided between figures like Lionheart. I guess making a common level "baby lionheart" spell the way Holy Armor is a "baby ironskin"?

Ehm? Resist elements is the best buff in the game...

Also, transmute for adamantium gives you un-dispellable buffs for very cheap.

(July 18th, 2018, 02:56)Bahgtru Wrote: Ehm? Resist elements is the best buff in the game...

Eh? Doesn't it just give 4 armor vs damage spells and magic ranged attacks? That's pretty situational and does nothing in combat with most normal units, and depends on what realm spells the AI is spamming to be useful there too. Or are there more changes to it that aren't listed in game?

Yes, but without their main weakness magicians become awesome for their cost. But you are right, it is somewhat situational. Only thing it does on top is give resistance against petrification (touch, gaze, spell).

In many ways, ranged attacks determine the outcome of battles. Due to the AI understanding warp wood and guardian wind, the ai focuses very heavily in magic attacks for its ranged units. Therefore, there is actually a very high amount of ranged magic attacks used to garrison AI cities. 

So generally, assuming the AI has any access to them at all, AI cities will virtually always have ranged magic attacks defending it's cities.

So while it's situational on paper, in practice resist elements is highly influential in most games. 

In addition, resist elements is simply amazing for treasure hunting.

And I second that transmute is the best city troop buff spell in the game.

Aha, that's still sort of late game though. Do people not like elemental armor because it costs too much?

Transmute is very good, but it requires building entirely new units and depending on what ores you find it may not even be needed to cast, so it's not always a replacement for a spot buff. Is transmute existing why it was decided to not have any life buffs besides resist elements until rare level, because not-barbarians can all get adamantium units easier? Or a unit buff would make nature creatures too strong? I'm just curious.

No, it's not late game. Sprites, ghouls, shaman, priests, focus magic units, all of these have a higher garrison rating for the AI.

Nature isn't meant to be a unit buff realm. They're a summon realm. That's their strength. Having spells that buff, directly competes with summons; so it weakens the realm as a whole. Even iron skin is iffy. (If you know gorgons, you never cast iron skin until you have all the gorgons you'll need. Which, can mean you never cast iron skin.)

Correct transmute is a little situational. But, that's how nature goes; they buff cities, and summon fantastic units. Transmute is their version of city unit buffing, even if it isn't as direct as the life realm buffs.