As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

I may be confused, but I seem to remember from early streams them talking about a new mode for fast multiplayer games, where you play 50 turns and compete on 4 metrics (wonders build, tiles explored, and what have you). If typical Civ6 multiplayer games use this mode, him being good at it doesn't translate to him being good at long-term multiplayer games, such as those played at RB

It's also worth noting that both Civ6 expansions clearly targeted single player (Gathering Storm even more so than R&F), so they may be adding plenty of cool new systems which will have little to no impact on multiplayer. As an observation, major mechanics added in Civ4 expansions (vassal states, corporations) are also unused in MP

That said, I don't disagree that Civ6 development for MP has been lacklustre at best

I think the power mechanic could shake the game up, in a good way. But they're still too vague to tell, of course.

Best case: Industrial Zone buildings get boosted production, and more if they're powered.

Worst case: IZ buildings are nerfed and go up to their previous value when powered.

(November 21st, 2018, 16:06)Japper007 Wrote:
(November 21st, 2018, 15:51)yuris125 Wrote:
(November 21st, 2018, 15:27)Japper007 Wrote: On the other hand, it does seem to expand now, both AI civs had more cities by the end than their turnplayer did, though he seemed to have been spinning his wheels a lot (how is this guy both a professional tester and a respected multiplayer veteran according to Ed, I'm terrible at civ and even I do better than this scrub rolleye )

1. Being a good player and being a good software tester are completely different skills
2. Considering the guys on stream also said that he goes home and plays Civ after a day of playing Civ at work, it's no surprise that he uses suboptimal unconventional strategies

I know, but  it does make painfully obvious why there are such fundamental and easily exploitable flaws in the game, some of which even got aggravated rather than fixed in the DLC. A guy like this is never going to find them, or at least not be able to exploit these flaws enough to break the game. I wasn't really aiming at Ed's comment of him being part of QA btw, but more that this guy apparently takes everyone to school on mechanics in multiplayer. That everyone in their office is barely able to beat Prince level AI just worries me. How are they going to design cool new systems if they can barely play around them?

Don't forget that this is a promotional video. So the focus is not on playing good, but on showing the most new stuff in the quickest way possible.
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

https://civilization.com/news/entries/ci...y-14-2019/

First civ revealed, Hungary. They look like a flavour civ rather than a really strong multiplayer threat. Haven't seen people get much use out of levying City State units so far, seems a big risk to not have the standing army that would be eating up your money otherwise.

Their econ bonus seems really lame as well, basically Egypt's civ bonus but even more conditional.

Yeah, kind of weak here. But it seems to be the case with expansion civs in general (although some of them are nice).

Well, so much for my hope that Austria comes back again. With Hussars gone and Hungary in, not going to happen.

Well that's one part of Austria-Hungary for you wink
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

(November 27th, 2018, 11:40)Japper007 Wrote: https://civilization.com/news/entries/ci...y-14-2019/

First civ revealed, Hungary. They look like a flavour civ rather than a really strong multiplayer threat. Haven't seen people get much use out of levying City State units so far, seems a big risk to not have the standing army that would be  eating up your money otherwise.

Their econ bonus seems really lame as well, basically Egypt's civ bonus but even more conditional.

I think it looks even weaker when you take flooding into account. "Hungary: where your districts work best when they're at most risk of flooding!"

(Strictly speaking it doesn't say it has to be directly across a river, but unless you're happy to wait for third-ring districts either the city or the district will have to be in the flood zone.)

hS

First look Hungary.

- The developers really do not know how to play their own game. I am not talking about the divergence between normal devs and hardcore fans, but seriously, what kind of saves are those. I know it is promotional, but still.
- Hungary actually strikes me as literally insane. Raise levies and free upgrade them. I think people underestimate them quite a bit. I would play them in MP, that is how strong I think this is.

(November 30th, 2018, 05:42)TheArchduke Wrote: First look Hungary.

- The developers really do not know how to play their own game. I am not talking about the divergence between normal devs and hardcore fans, but seriously, what kind of saves are those. I know it is promotional, but still.
- Hungary actually strikes me as literally insane. Raise levies and free upgrade them. I think people underestimate them quite a bit. I would play them in MP, that is how strong I think this is.

It's not only the free upgrades. You also get +2 movement and extra strenght. That's pretty bonkers. The extra movement helps with the obvious main weakness of the ability, which is the possible counterplay of just taking all the CSs (which is something most players want to do, anyway). You also get two extra envoys when doing this, which prevents you losing the bonus by suzerainity changes (though I don't really know what happens when suzerainity changes while someone has units levied).

The problem with it is that it's random. CSs are random and gold generation is pretty random as well (at least that's how I feel). Gold mainly comes from tiles and you don't get to choose which tiles there are on the map (maybe that changed a bit in the first expansion? I never played it). Well, I'm mostly thinking early game here. Mid and late you get way more control through policies and districts. Perhaps this ability will help more with a mid game push then with an early rush.

But I agree, Archduke. That bonus alone seems pretty powerful. Imagine 6 move mounted units, 4 move ranged (the specific case of archers is notable, because archers can't even get the GG bonus - with this ability, you can get 4-moves archers with +5 strength - that's insane). The ability surely is affected by randomness, but if you can use it one time only, it's likely GG for an opponent.

Time to dig that levy cost formula.  lol