As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[TECH] Civ 6 Gathering Storm PBEM?

I'm sorry I called you a name in my thread last game, Archduke. It might have been in heat of the moment but it was also sophomoric and detracted from any other grievances i may have been trying to explain so I regret doing it
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

(April 4th, 2019, 09:27)MJW (ya that one) Wrote: Okay, city-states would be too easy to farm. So how about no pillaging city-states? It's not logical because pillaging being too strong is the real culprit (city-states are always punching bags) so I would go with my pillage-farming ban and tacking on Australia but it would work.

I think the "no declaring on city states" rule will probably handle pillage-farming, plus it will limit/eliminate "free" cities that caused issues in PBEM14. You will still be able to pillage/capture a city state if you go to war with the suzerain but I don't think we will see pillaging, let them repair, and then pillage again.

We could take it a step further to limit pillaging by banning Raid. I know they nerfed it in the last patch but we might want to consider just taking it out of play. What does everybody think about banning Raid?

Not needed anymore after the nerf, if you think city-state/player farming isn't a problem.

Slightly off topic, but I thought that was a rather elegant solution in the patch: to move the pillaging bonus of science and culture to be Norway's UA
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

it's a huge stealth buff for Norway, since you can literally pillage your way to a science victory.
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

(April 4th, 2019, 10:04)pindicator Wrote: I'm sorry I called you a name in my thread last game, Archduke. It might have been in heat of the moment but it was also sophomoric and detracted from any other grievances i may have been trying to explain so I regret doing it

Apology accepted. nod

Looking forward to this game.

Any opinions on map settings? Map type? World Age? Sea level? Natural Disaster level?

IMO, I would like a snaky continents/fractal map with where land and sea units can be both viable and something where canals might be usable.

Is there somebody out there that might be will to make a map and has Gathering Storm? Cornflakes? CMF? Anybody else?

There's no way to turn off disasters, so it may actually be more balanced to have them set to the highest setting - if the disasters are more frequent then they're going to be easier to plan around; if they're less frequent then people may feel more cheated when one inevitably lands.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

(April 8th, 2019, 20:52)pindicator Wrote: There's no way to turn off disasters, so it may actually be more balanced to have them set to the highest setting - if the disasters are more frequent then they're going to be easier to plan around; if they're less frequent then people may feel more cheated when one inevitably lands.

Disasters (and barbarians, to some degree) seemed to be feast or famine.  I played an SP pangea game over the weekend at the default settings and had two volcanic eruptions, two tornados, a drought and four floods....all within the first 100 turns and 12 tiles of my start position.  Others (on CFC) have had games where disasters (or barbarians) were scarce.  Having said that, though, I'd welcome the chaos of a max setting on disasters.  I also like Woden's idea for a map - land and sea should both be viable approaches.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

Fractal, Snaky or just unconventional sounds good.

We should also (myself included) promise not to pour scorn over the mapmaker if the map is unbalanced, else noone will do one for us.

I would also suggest we do a civilization draw (not a leader draw, because who wants to have Pericles) leaving the decision over which Indian or English leader to take up to the player.