As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[TECH] Civ 6 Gathering Storm PBEM?

Regrettably, I do not own Gathering Storm and so am unable to provide a map (thus scuttling my plan of putting all the city states right next to pindicator in a cunning effort to give him the win).
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

I do not own Gathering Storm. I could roll a map in R&F. Not sure if the workaround is compatible with a R&F rolled map loaded through our usual workaround.

Woden, could you roll a test map with R&F and then load it into a single player test game and make sure disasters, etc. work fine?

(April 9th, 2019, 06:34)Chevalier Mal Fet Wrote: Regrettably, I do not own Gathering Storm and so am unable to provide a map (thus scuttling my plan of putting all the city states right next to pindicator in a cunning effort to give him the win).

lol

Watch me get eliminated by the city states in that scenario
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

I am looking forward to watching this, albeit passively in the lurker thread this time. Of all the new additions, I think the world Congress should hopefully shake things up. From reading reviews, It seems to be weak in SP. Not sure if that is because the policies are weak or the AI is unable to use them strategically.

(April 9th, 2019, 07:26)Cornflakes Wrote: Woden, could you roll a test map with R&F and then load it into a single player test game and make sure disasters, etc. work fine?

I rolled a quick map this morning before work and, sadly, it looks like maps are expansion dependent. I will look into a little more over the next few days because it looks like GS maps are pulled from somewhere else (not the standard maps folder).

Does the original Earth map work in Gathering Storm? Could somebody who hasn't fiddled with map files try to start a GS game using Earth map type?

(April 9th, 2019, 10:26)Cornflakes Wrote: Does the original Earth map work in Gathering Storm? Could somebody who hasn't fiddled with map files try to start a GS game using Earth map type?
 I created a map, used your tool to replace the Earth map, and then tried generating it using the GS ruleset. It generated the standard Earth map, not the custom. I did try generating the custom map using the R&F ruleset and Earth map and it did generate the custom map. 
Given the changes to GS maps, I think they have separate map scripts for GS maps. I will test what will happen if I swap out those scripts with a custom map and play around with them to see if I can figure out a work around.

You would need to manually change a value one of the map's data tables in order for the map to line up with the rule set selection. You will need a way to modify SQLite format files (I use DB Browser for SQLite). The key/value pair you are looking for has the key 'Ruleset' and is in the MapAttributes table.

For vanilla rules the value should be "RULESET_STANDARD"
For R&F the value should be "RULESET_EXPANSION_1"

I have yet to look at GS maps but would assume that the value is "RULESET_EXPANSION_2"

Note that I don't know that creating a map under an R&F script will work and changing the rule set will work:

- there will be no volcanoes, geothermal vents and the generation of mountains & hills is completely different
- natural wonders will be placed differently. For example, Lake Retba in R&F provides fresh water because the map generation script changes the underlying terrain to Coast. In GS this wonder does not provide fresh water and the underlying terrain may remain land, no coast. I've seen maps crash where the underlying terrain conflicted with the game engine's expectations.
- I don't know if strategic resource yields are integral to the gameplay tables or to the map files.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

Since it's been a few days, is making or doctoring a map still the plan? Or do we need a new one?
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

May Cornflakes could just borrow someone else's steam account?