As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[TECH] Civ 6 Gathering Storm PBEM?

morning: 11:00-11:30 GMT
evening: 23:00-24:00 GMT
Global lurker smile ; played in Civ VI PBEM 4, 5, 15; DL suboptimal Civ VI PBEM 17

I posted a randomized list of civs according to the parameters, for lurkers to do a sanity check. Do you have all settings nailed down? Map script and all associated settings? Number of city states? Anything else?

Don't want things to get messy with settings discussions after the civ choices are published.

(April 17th, 2019, 07:19)suboptimal Wrote: For playing times I'm EDT, 1700 to 2300 with availability between 0700 and 0730 to get early game turns out of the way.

1700 to 2300 EDT is 2100 to 200 GMT, right?

(April 17th, 2019, 17:23)CFCJesterFool Wrote: morning: 11:00-11:30 GMT
evening: 23:00-24:00 GMT

I think CFCJesterFool should play before me but should he be before or after suboptimal?

Suboptimal, are you more likely to play at the beginning or the end of your play window?

Your conversion is correct - EDT is GMT - 4. CFCJesterFool is right in the middle of my window. I'm just as likely to play at any point in my window, but given the situation and the fact that his window is tighter I'd prefer to be in the latter half. Put CFCJesterFool before me in the turn order.

I think for city states the "usual" 2 per player. Disaster setting is max (4), huts are off. As for map script, I don't know. The new generation routines seem to do a good job at breaking up large land masses so perhaps a pangea? I haven't looked at Fractal yet but that might be pushing things a bit.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

Sounds like we all need to weigh in on map script.

I think fractal or shuffle. Embrace the chaos. Second for me would be pangaea
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

(April 18th, 2019, 14:25)pindicator Wrote: Sounds like we all need to weigh in on map script.

Yes, once you all lock in the map script then I’ll post the options (or another lurker can copy them here if I’m not around)

(April 18th, 2019, 14:25)pindicator Wrote: Sounds like we all need to weigh in on map script.

I think fractal or shuffle. Embrace the chaos. Second for me would be pangaea
Fractal/shuffle would be my first choice too. Don't have a clear preference otherwise.
Global lurker smile ; played in Civ VI PBEM 4, 5, 15; DL suboptimal Civ VI PBEM 17

I did a small generation test using Fractal and Pangea. Fractal maps generally had "more interesting" land shapes but fewer mountains (and volcanoes) along with what seemed to be less diverse terrain. Pangea had more mountains and volcanoes, the land mass was frequently divided into a couple of "regions", had more expansive jungle and forest areas but was a more uniform blob. Both map types generally produced maps not circumnavigable with naval units as they had ice blockages.

I have a stated preference for Pangea but will not object to Fractal.

Looked at a few more maps of each type....like everything, it's all in the sample size. I vote Fractal.

One other thing -- apparently something with the hotfix patch broke barbarians. They no longer spawn raiding parties when the scouts return but Firaxis is aware of the problem and thinks they've located the issue. https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/d...re.644989/
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

Fractal is good with me.

What about World Age? New provides more volcanoes, if we want more craziness.

Resources? Starting Position? Temperature? Rainfall? Sea Level? Do we want standard or do we roll the dice and set everything to random (that can be set to random)?

(April 18th, 2019, 22:27)Woden Wrote: Fractal is good with me.

What about World Age? New provides more volcanoes, if we want  more craziness.

Resources? Starting Position? Temperature? Rainfall? Sea Level? Do we want standard or do we roll the dice and set everything to random (that can be set to random)?
I'd say balanced starting positions with everything else random. Fine with any World Age,