As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Jester fools around in the Gathering Storm

Picks to consider after getting errands done:

Ottoman
Zulu
Nubian
Russian
American
Global lurker smile ; played in Civ VI PBEM 4, 5, 15; DL suboptimal Civ VI PBEM 17

Okay, time to consider which civ I will play. With the roster that is playing, it is safe to assume that it is understood (by the players) that Civ VI is mostly a conquest game. With that in mind, I'll look at my choices.

Grand Vizier -
Hard to slot in the unique Governor until late with Pingala wanting at least three titles, Magnus with at least one, and a case to be made for Liang/Reyna/Victor getting one or more titles each. Janissary unique musketman is quite good.
Great Turkish Bombard -
I love siege. Since you will need more units than you do in single player (i.e. players will try to focus fire siege as well as ranged units), building siege 50% faster is really going to help mass enough siege to be useful. The rest of the ability is OP as hell.
Grand Bazaar -
Extra strategic resource accumulation and additional amenities are pretty good.
Barbary Corsair -
Could be useful but probably just Era score.
Janissary -
Pre-build and then upgrade to get around the population loss. Build them in conquered cities if you need reinforcements. Very strong ability.

Amabutho -
OP as hell. The main trick will be getting enough culture to reach Mercenaries quickly.
Isibongo -
Yeah, beeline to Mercenaries asap.
Ikanda -
Absolutely great unique district. You still probably want to add buildings to the district (for Great General points) but the buildings aren't required  to build Corps or Armies.
Impi -
Not great unless facing mass cavalry. Could be a factor depending on other players picks.

Kandake of Meroe -
Good ability. Desert start bias could be problematic, especially with disaster settings set to 4. Sandstorms are a terror.
Ta-Seti -
Very good ability. Hard to complain here.
Pitati Archer -
One of the best unique units imo. Comes early enough to matter and the extra movement is tactically significant.
Nubian Pyramids -
If this is useful then I am in trouble. Any district built near one of these is going to get wrecked at least a few times, barring early elimination.

The Grand Embassy -
Not relevant in multiplayer. If you get too far behind for this to matter, well you're too far behind.  lol 
Mother Russia -
Could be really good if starting in tundra (defensive wise). Blizzards are just as devastating as sandstorms and at least I won't have to worry about losing units to the climate all game long. Extra tiles upon founding cities is very strong obviously.
Cossack -
Op unique unit mainly due to being able to attack cities and then clear out for the next in line to attack.
Lavra -
Decent enough.

Roosevelt Corollary -
+5 combat strength on home continent could be great or lackluster depending on how the continents are laid out. The rest is forgettable.
Founding Fathers -
Good ability. Diplomatic policies are underwhelming early on.
P-51 Mustang -
Doubtful this is ever useful in a multiplayer game.
Rough Rider -
Ok unit but the Cossack is way better.
Film Studio -
Don't see this as useful.

I think I can rule out Teddy. America is the weakest choice by far. Nubia is a good choice, except there is a non-minimal risk of starting in desert. In single player, I wouldn't hesitate to pick Amanitore. I just think in this case, probably better to not risk it. I do want to win the game. That leaves three left to choose from. Russia would be fun to play but Cossacks come a little late for my taste. Either Shaka or Suleiman would be great choices. Really tough to decide.
Global lurker smile ; played in Civ VI PBEM 4, 5, 15; DL suboptimal Civ VI PBEM 17

The picks are in. My thoughts about the choices.

Pindicator as Incans. He should have some crazy tall cities. I really like this pick.

TheArchduke as Mapuche. Yikes. I don't want to start near him. No way to co-exist peacefully since the first golden age you get will be the last you ever get. Probably the best pick of the draft.

Woden as Persia. I really don't like Immortals but Persia is a pretty good civ. Need to be wary of the surprise war declaration.

Suboptimal as Greece. I would have went with Mongolia but Gorgo is still a great pick. He will get the first Great General if he wants it.

Jester as Ottomans. In hindsight, I should have picked Nubia for the earlier unique unit. I'll just have to see what happens.

I'm glad others recognize how powerful Mapuche can be - I thought they were a little underrated before, but +10 CS is straight nasty.

For you, I was hoping for the Zulu, but I guess that would paint a huge target on your back.

Imagine a game with Persia, Mapuche, Mongolia, and the Zulu, though. :o
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

Ruh-roh! Had to move the settler northwest to avoid the volcano effect zone (2 tiles on setting 4.) Tough start. Hopefully I have a decent first expansion. Exploring the map is going to be a pain. I'll probably do a double scout opening.

Too bad we might restart...I can get a pretty good second city here about.

Pretty nice start. Going to circle NE with the warrior first. Thought about going scout first then decided not to due to no huts on. Probably get a scout after a builder but might go straight to a settler after the warrior is done.

That is an excellent start indeed! Good luck!

Exploration has not been quick but it looks like I'll meet a city state next turn.

Worthless city state envoy (for the time being) and not much reason to go for a religion. Since I haven't yet seen a must-settle-now city site, I decided to get a builder next.