As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] pindicator prowls pacahuatl's path of pantheons

[Image: Dilbert-Oct_25_001.jpg]

Civ choices are in! I'll have to take a look at what I got
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

I can't really complain about anything on this list. All the covs on here are strong enough that I'd feel like I'd have a chance with any of them. Many of them have been in games here before. And so I think the first and easiest cutting point is to eliminate Rome and Arabia since they're base game civs. Scotland will get cut too- the last game may not have shown them off too late into the game, but I have a bad enough taste of them from that game that I have no desire to play as them myself.

That leaves Inca and the Dutch.

[Image: latest?cb=20180522204054]

Wilhelmina of the Dutch

Leader Ability - Trade Routes give +1 loyalty internally, and +1 culture internationally. Harbors act as culture bombs . +50% production to dams and sea walls. 

Civ Ability - Rivers provide +2 adjacency bonus for Campus, Theatre Square, and Industrial Zone

Unique Improvement - Polder, available at Guilds

Unique Unit - De Zeven Provincien, Frigate Replacement that gets extra bonus against districts

[Image: latest?cb=20190219134237]

Pacahuatl of the Inca

Leader Ability - Trade Routes give +1 food for every mountain in the origin city

Gain the Qhapaq Ñan improvement at Foreign Trade. Basically a tunnel you can build with builders instead of military engineers, and a whole lot earlier.

Unique Improvement - Terrace Farm, +1 food for every adjacent mountain. And more production for neighboring aqueducts and fresh water. In addition mountains get +1 food for every neighboring terrace.

Unique Unit - Warak'aq. Skirmisher replacement, +1 attack per turn as long as it has movement.

With Wilhelmina the game plan is fairly simple and standard. Campus' give extra adjacency so early science will be coming in extra. Polders can't be spammed, but are incredibly strong tiles. And fractal should give us plenty of seas for frigates to be useful, so i expect a good use from them. 

Pacahuatl gives bonuses to food and production, but we're hoping for lots of mountains here to make use of these bonuses. I think this pick is a bit riskier in getting screwed by the map. I'm also not sure what to make of the UU in MP, but the limited range concerns me. Grow tall, use additional production to build districts faster, build more districts, or build more units. The pop can work well with the new Pindinga and mountain bias can also set us up for a good shrine or campus early on. 

Inca seems more high roll potential and Dutch more all around and less map dependent. Guess I need to make up my mind
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

The real question. Which one has a better color?

It looks, to my notably inexpert eye, that the Dutch advantage is in the late (mid?) game, while the Inca are a lot more front-loaded. I don't know enough about Civ6 to know which you want more of...

...so which do you want more of?
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

I went ahead and sent in Inca as my choice. I'm really wary about picking such a terrain dependent civ - even with the map bias you still get games where the mountains aren't that numerous and so terraces aren't put down so much until more of the late early game or mid game themselves. And I think the Dutch bonus actually can give some earlier help because it can make it easier to get that first +5 or +6 campus. (But at the same time, Inca getting the mountain bias could give us a +4 or +5 campus rather easily early on.)

I actually think it's pretty close overall with probably the Dutch getting a slight nod overall. But Inca seems a little more fun and a its newer, so I'm still feeling okay with it as my pick.

EDIT: And Wilhelmina has the better orange, IMO. Better to be bright than that dull brownish Inca version
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

IMO Inca is the right choice this is a GS-game after all wink.

Those Mountains are useable 2 hammers even without food. And since most of our games are with the new world-setting you should have several mountains in your neighbourhood.

Good Luck with the disasters. I will lurk you this game.

I have the start and I know I probably need to move the opening settler a bit

Terrace can go on the hill north of the rice- that will be a great 4f1h.  That along with a 5f rice and we could grow large rather fast ... if we can find some amenities.  And then where do we put a campus?  Looks like a +2 campus for now, and I was really hoping for more than that.

I think I need to move northeast onto the plains jungle by the river; the question is then do I continue another tile northeast and get the 2h plant?  Pretty sure I don't want to move west any; that warrior didn't uncover anything that I'd really want.

This is really looking like Magnus might be worth using in this start - though I was hoping to mix Pingala with terrace fueled growth.

Thoughts?
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Where da shields at? You have a mountain but don't seem to have many hills.

I don't know much about likely terrains for happy resources, which direction would you expect to find them in?

Early on those 2f2h forested hills are solid. And I count 6 hills, so pretty decent there. Kind of sad there's no flood plains - the bonus yields those features can really add up. 

As for happy, we have the tea in the west, but usually there are 2 happy resources by the capital. So I'd expect there to be something in the fog. But sometimes you get screwed too.

Biggest concern is the coastal start is no good without freshwater - doubly so when there's no seafood
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

I moved onto the jungle plains, NE of the settler in to the pic. Thought about going onto the rice, but even with a 3f plant there aren't good initial tiles to work. This move gets us to freshwater and then next turn we get to make another decision whether or not I want to give up another turn for a 2h city center.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

(April 25th, 2019, 00:13)pindicator Wrote: I moved onto the jungle plains, NE of the settler in to the pic.  Thought about going onto the rice, but even with a 3f plant there aren't good initial tiles to work.  This move gets us to freshwater and then next turn we get to make another decision whether or not I want to give up another turn for a 2h city center.

Looking at the thread title, I have a friend here to help with that choice:
[Image: dice_PNG156.png]