As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

FTK: For The King

This looks really cool, ive been looking for something new to try after i finish trails in the sky, think this is going to be it!

Thanks for this write up, Sullla! Enjoyable reading, and some interesting differences from the main game mode.

Picked this one up in the Steam sale, and am now blundering around the Guardian Forest trying to figure out when to use focus and when not to. Also, trying to find a balance between spreading my party out for exploration and staying close enough together to support each other in battles. I foresee many deaths along the learning curve. lol

Having fun so far. smile Thanks for bringing this one to my attention, Sullla!

I also bought the game on sale, and I feel as though I'm getting the hang of it. As someone who still plays Nethack occasionally, I figured a new roguelike would be fun. I've had trouble getting used to the interface: I still find myself having selected the wrong attack or the wrong target, and I've used consumables when I wanted to transfer them to another character instead.

I'm enjoying the game, though. It is a good roguelike implementation: lots of challenging enemies, random powerful drops, lots of ways to spend looted cash. The quest listing is clear and a good reminder of what to do next. The scaling of costs and monsters felt a little punishing at first, but as I learn the game I'm keeping up better.

I put a new report about For The King up on my website today, this one about the newest game mode Into The Deep. And in case you missed it earlier, there's also a report about the Dungeon Crawl mode from a couple months ago. I posted about that on my website's front page but not in this thread. Enjoy.
Follow Sullla: Website | YouTube | Livestream | Twitter | Discord

Thread necro! smile

I am giving this game another try (my initial attempt last year got suspended when I moved to a new city and I never got back to it). I never got beyond Act 1 then so I just rolled a new party and started fresh, and so far I am having a lot of fun.

The fights are varied enough to be interesting (although that could change as I play more and get familiar with the various enemies). I like the party of three mechanism and the need to balance the movement and positioning of your heroes so they can support each other as you explore. Having a slow character (I have a blacksmith) definitely creates some issues with moving the party around to handle objectives.

I have to agree with Sullla's tutorial write up that it would be nice if the regions were marked a bit more clearly. The poisonous bog is pretty obvious, but I wandered into the edge of the golden plains without meaning to and had a very nasty fight pop up. Otherwise the game is pretty good about indicating where you should be going with the various quest objectives.

I am about to enter the Glittering Mines -- my first attempt at a dungeon sequence. Hopefully my brave heroes are strong enough -- they are the stated level of 2, and so far the fight ratings have seemed pretty accurate.

A question for those who have played For the King: What are the differences between the ship types? The port just lists prices and does not seem to say anything more about what you are buying, unless I am missing it. I am guessing more expensive equals tougher hull (meeting the kraken on a raft not being a good idea yikes). But are there differences in speed? Pick up range? Other differences?

I am liking the minstrel class a lot. Encourage is very helpful, and Inspire is better than I thought it would be. Your heroes are not always positioned for it, but it is useful for helping a laggard catch up in XP or to get a hero near leveling over the threshold.

The Poisonous Bog is a huge pain in the neck. frown (Not an original thought, I know, but worth saying anyway.) The Poisonous Bog at night with rain == zero encounter range. rant Also, the Forgotten Cellar and the acid jelly.... rant

Having a lot of fun with the game, despite my grumbling. smile

(July 27th, 2019, 12:24)haphazard1 Wrote: What are the differences between the ship types?

I don't know the exact stats, but more expensive ships do indeed have more hit points, more movement, and probably a picker pickup range (although I don't remember that for certain). For instance, Raft has only 3 HP and I think up to 4 movement, while IIRC the Merchant Boat has 8 HP and up to 7 movement.

Thanks for the info. thumbsup I was assuming that the more expensive ships would offer better movement as well as hull strength, but could not find anything to confirm that. I just finished dealing with the Mind Lord for the second piece of the key, so I will be purchasing a ship deed once I fight my way back across the Golden Plains to the coast. Time to search the Rogue Isles for the Lich's Crypt.

Another question: A couple times so far in this game, I have seen a message indicating that towns have been refreshed. This apparently includes new merchandise in the markets (more herbs to buy nod) and perhaps quests as well (not sure on this part). Is this related to plot progression, or is it just a passing of time thing? The chance to get more godsbeard is certainly welcome, along with an occasional hag's bane or panax if they show up and I have money for them.

My blacksmith lost his nice sword with armor piercing attack to acid. cry He has other weapons, but they lack an armor piercing attack and practically every enemy now seems to have a ton of armor. frown Hopefully I can find something to replace it. Acid is really nasty. rant