As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Poll: Which is the best way to playing Master of Orion 1?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
18.18%
2 18.18%
1.40m
63.64%
7 63.64%
1oom
18.18%
2 18.18%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What is the absolute best way to play MOO1?

So I am deciding to give a play of  Master of Orion 1 since I missed out on it, and Played MOO2 and Wargaming's Master of Orion Conquer the Stars.

I am a bit lost on how to enjoy this classic and I know of three methods:

1. Dosbox + 1.31
2. Dosbox + 1.40m
3. 1oom 1.0

So which is the best way? which has the most bugs? which has the least?
I heard 1oom is good, but since the creator of 1oom is gone and MIA, I hear it still has issues and the only major active fork i.e that gets updates, has not binaries out at all.
how about 1.40m will that give a relatively good experience? 1oom?
give me some input.

-Lord_Kane

If you have missed out on MOO previously, be aware that the UI is rather primitive by modern standards. If you think this is likely to be an issue for you, then giving 1oom a try might be the place to start. If you have experience with other games from the same era or do not expect to have issues with the UI, I would recommend 1.40m. While it is unofficial, it corrects several issues and also adds some useful conveniences to the UI.

Hope this helps! MOO can be a lot of fun. smile

I recommend 1.40m until I / we (don't know if Tapani's going to come back) release a new version of 1oom.

1.40m pros:
- fixes bugs
- some good interface improvements

1oom 1.0 pros:
- even more interface improvements with the -uiextra option
- runs faster on slow machines because it doesn't use emulation

1oom 1.0 cons:
- introduces a few bugs of its own
- requires you to build a mod file to activate some of the 1.40m bugfixes
- doesn't support software synths for midi playback (I think I'm the only person who cares about that though lol )

I want to remove the first two cons with the next release, but I don't know when it'll be ready. I've been very low on motivation, but I've started working a bit more on it some days ago.

(October 10th, 2019, 13:05)haphazard1 Wrote: If you have missed out on MOO previously, be aware that the UI is rather primitive by modern standards. If you think this is likely to be an issue for you, then giving 1oom a try might be the place to start. If you have experience with other games from the same era or do not expect to have issues with the UI, I would recommend 1.40m. While it is unofficial, it corrects several issues and also adds some useful conveniences to the UI.

Hope this helps! MOO can be a lot of fun. smile

the primitive ui doesnt bother me, reminds me of sid meiers colonization.

(October 10th, 2019, 13:31)RFS-81 Wrote: I recommend 1.40m until I / we (don't know if Tapani's going to come back) release a new version of 1oom.

1.40m pros:
- fixes bugs
- some good interface improvements

1oom 1.0 pros:
- even more interface improvements with the -uiextra option
- runs faster on slow machines because it doesn't use emulation

1oom 1.0 cons:
- introduces a few bugs of its own
- requires you to build a mod file to activate some of the 1.40m bugfixes
- doesn't support software synths for midi playback (I think I'm the only person who cares about that though lol )

I want to remove the first two cons with the next release, but I don't know when it'll be ready. I've been very low on motivation, but I've started working a bit more on it some days ago.

yeah that has kinda kept me away from 1oom for the time being.

I've only played 1oom recently, but I think each version has its own specific issues.

1oom is my go-to for one main reason: The ability able to auto resolve unimportant battles.

For me it's 1.40m. As long as 1oom doesn't have all 1.40m changes I can't see myself using it. Also I'm used to DOS version, I like to use it under Android with Magic DOSBox.

I voted 1.40m but am very interested in 1oom.

@RFS-81 we appreciate the hard work on the project! I don't have a ton of cycles, but is it sort of a matter of just doing Pull Requests on the Gitlab?
Quote:Get the heck out of here, you nerd!

(October 11th, 2019, 08:46)Bionic Commando Wrote: I voted 1.40m but am very interested in 1oom.

@RFS-81 we appreciate the hard work on the project! I don't have a ton of cycles, but is it sort of a matter of just doing Pull Requests on the Gitlab?

Oh, it's less hard work and more about finding the time and motivation. The recent attention helped, though smile

The git repo is https://gitlab.com/Tapani_/1oom, if you have any bug reports and/or fixes!

Hello, there is same version of 1.40 n, later than 1.40 m why its not play? and still, I thought that 1oom the most recent version of from 10.2019 contains all changes version of 1.40 m , this accurately not so?