As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II new spells : Missing art

This is a list of art that doesn't exist yet for new spells.
While I'll try to make some of these one at a time myself, I probably can't do them all.

If you want to contribute, please post your work here. By posting, you agree that your work will be included in Caster of Magic II.

Quote:Empty list. We are done. Happiness! At least until we decide to add more races, heroes, or anything else...

Note that even if art already exist in the game, if you want it replaced because you think yours is better, that's fine. Post your work and if I like it more than the exisiting one, I'll replace it. Otherwise, it'll be placed in the optional art folder. As the game uses unencrypted, plain image files, users can use optional art simply by overwriting the files in the game data folder.

I will especially need help on the global enchantments and the overland summoning image for the creatures, I can do the unit icons easily, just had no patience for those after adding 20 new spells. I need a break.

If you need information (size of the image required, etc), ask. If you are one of the alpha testers, you can find all the game images in the data folder, if it's the same size as the ones you find there, it's perfect.

For the global enchantments, we probably also need to decide what should be on the picture first.
For the two city enchantments that were split, the two "Blessing" spells can keep the existing colored ground effect but the two new ones need to have something different.

Each unit art has 32 images. That's right?

Yes, correct.

28x30 pixels, 8 directions, each direction has one standing (the _1), two walking and one attacking (the _3) images.
Background color is $000000.
The green colors you can see in hero flags for example is special, the system replaces those 5 exact colors with the wizard's flag colors.
The outline uses the color $080404.

An amateur attempt for the summoned vampire:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Not bad but that's not the correct image format.
It needs to be 24 bit with no transparency and $000000 as the "transparent" color.

(August 10th, 2020, 05:12)Seravy Wrote: It needs to be 24 bit with no transparency and $000000 as the "transparent" color.

I changed something and now the vampire hovers a little higher. However, some buttons in the photo editor I just pressed for the first time. $000000 is listed on the internet as a Hex value for the color black.

Quote:$000000 is listed on the internet as a Hex value for the color black.

correct. Black is the default transparent color in the function that displays these images. It really could be anything but the tweaker exported files with that being the transparent color so I'm using it that way.
So for the nontranparent parts you need to use a black that's not $000000, like $000001 or $010000 etc.

The image needs to be 24 bit = RGB, but this one is 32bit = RGBA.

an RGB image uses colors that have 3 bytes = one byte for red, one for green, one for blue.
For example $152734 is the color that has $15 red, $27 green, $34 blue.

an RGBA image is the same but has 4 bytes, the fourth being the transparency byte which the game currently ignores meaning the parts that have this transparency set will not look the same in the game as they do on the image. You can notice that your image has spikes on the shoulders but they don't appear in the game.

Edit : Maybe that pixelator thing can make it look better and also get rid of the transparency? Have you tried using it?

(August 10th, 2020, 07:28)Seravy Wrote: Maybe that pixelator thing can make it look better and also get rid of the transparency? Have you tried using it?

I looked at Pixelator, but it was not so good. This one I used:
https://www5.lunapic.com/editor/  

I think maybe I converted the pic to 24bit, using this: https://convertimage.net/convert-a-pictu...1222-obvbj

No transparency however:

Wait, you aren't even using proper image editing software, just an online converter?
That's a white background. We need black. I can change it to black but that doesn't fix the edges.
They're still white.

How did you make this image to begin with if you don't have image editor software?

(August 10th, 2020, 10:11)Seravy Wrote: How did you make this image to begin with if you don't have image editor software?

Somewhere on the internet I´ve read, there is no transparency for 24bit PNG pics. Well, it looks like the person who posted this was wrong. In any case my Photo Editor imaging software only supports 32bit when saving. I don´t really understand the reasons why 32bit images can´t be used, as I have no experience with these topics. Anyways I post my latest try (32bit) and your version (24bit) in use. Both versions are tested as summoned Spirits and work in the game.