As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II new spells : Missing art

I was looking to help but got caught in the reeds of extracting images from the lbx files and trying to open them in GIMP. I was looking to add the vampire figure (in combat) art and wanted to extract an image to use as a base. Is there any easy way of doing that? I have MoM and CoM as steam apps. I'm a software engineer by day so I'm not exactly new to programming and have done numerous (albeit simple) projects in GIMP so I believe given a good starting place I can bust a few out in my spare time.

You can extract the files using ILSE's Tweaker on the forum but an even better solution is to use CoM II alpha. It contains all the images already extracted in raw png format and you can even see how your work looks like in the game by replacing them. Not sure if you already applied to be a tester, if not, let me know and I'll send the download link.

Unlike CoM I which used 256 color images, CoM II uses 24 bit images of the same size so it's less restrictive in the colors you can use. However,  you have to pay attention to the flag and background color codes and use them appropriately. (see my second post in the thread)

(September 3rd, 2020, 19:07)Seravy Wrote: You can extract the files using ILSE's Tweaker on the forum but an even better solution is to use CoM II alpha. It contains all the images already extracted in raw png format and you can even see how your work looks like in the game by replacing them. Not sure if you already applied to be a tester, if not, let me know and I'll send the download link.

Unlike CoM I which used 256 color images, CoM II uses 24 bit images of the same size so it's less restrictive in the colors you can use. However,  you have to pay attention to the flag and background color codes and use them appropriately. (see my second post in the thread)

That would be great, send me the link!

Here's what I got after messing around for a few :D Vampire bottom stance and attack. Is the Vampire summon art the final version? I thought it might not be so created this instead of rehashing Wraith's look.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Looks good.

Vampire's summon art can be replaced if you (or someone else) posts something that matches the combat unit better or just is better in general.

(September 4th, 2020, 07:19)Seravy Wrote: Looks good.

Vampire's summon art can be replaced if you (or someone else) posts something that matches the combat unit better or just is better in general.

What's the direction on it? I guess it's up to you if you decide on the combat art. This was just one interpretation of a vampire so if you thought it would look different just let me know I'll make another pass at it

Well, I wanted something with a cape so yours is perfect. Maybe if the attack animation was different, idk, at least the orb of light shouldn't look like it has a cross in the center, make that part more reddish.
Also, as far as I remember, the light of magic attacks like that has no black outline on other units.

For the movement animation, as it's a flying creature, it should float and probably lean forward a little.

(as long as it looks good in the game, anything goes, really. The files are u199x_something so that's where you need to put them to see them in the game. (or it's better if you replace something else you can actually see at the beginning of the game like the magic spirit and only rename the files when it's complete and tested)

(September 4th, 2020, 12:57)Seravy Wrote: Well, I wanted something with a cape so yours is perfect. Maybe if the attack animation was different, idk, at least the orb of light shouldn't look like it has a cross in the center, make that part more reddish.
Also, as far as I remember, the light of magic attacks like that has no black outline on other units.

For the movement animation, as it's a flying creature, it should float and probably lean forward a little.

(as long as it looks good in the game, anything goes, really. The files are u199x_something so that's where you need to put them to see them in the game. (or it's better if you replace something else you can actually see at the beginning of the game like the magic spirit and only rename the files when it's complete and tested)

Oh yes it flies, definitely gotta change it then. The outline was copied/modded from Draconian Magicians which has the black outline but if it looks weird in combat (against the terrain for example) it'll be taken out for sure. Got it, I named them u200x_ so I will change the name and test them.

I would definitely like to help out if I can squirrel away some time. I would probably try my hand at the unit arts if they have not been done yet.

Also, are you open for any other new content? I've actually create some old art work for another remake effort that never came to fruition. A few portraits, a few unit artwork, not a whole lot really, but I would be happy to give it all another try again if you guys think it could be useful.

(September 7th, 2020, 16:35)elliott20 Wrote: I would definitely like to help out if I can squirrel away some time. I would probably try my hand at the unit arts if they have not been done yet.

Also, are you open for any other new content? I've actually create some old art work for another remake effort that never came to fruition. A few portraits, a few unit artwork, not a whole lot really, but I would be happy to give it all another try again if you guys think it could be useful.

Ok, might be useful. We aren't there yet - spells are the priority - but new races, units and heroes will eventually happen in the future.
Gameplay is the main factor though so we need to first decide what we want the new unit(s) to be. Heroes are almost guaranteed we'll find a role for them if you provide portraits and combat animations, other units, less likely so we should definitely discuss those first. At the moment the only thing that is 90% sure we'll need is the Adventurer unit for Halflings, and a new race that produces research, but all of that is discussion for the future, nothing is already decided, see here : http://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/showt...?tid=10030

Art for improving existing content is always welcome. (especially those units that are "new" but are colorswaps of other units.)

Let me know if you need the alpha version to try inserting/replacing images.