As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

The game is way better than before, but for SP still lacking a challenge due to basically no existing AI.
I would recommend buying it though, as it is easily worth the 20 $

(August 27th, 2020, 14:08)Brian Shanahan Wrote:
(August 27th, 2020, 13:48)BRickAstley Wrote: I haven't played Civ 6 for a while, but saw thatGathering Storm is on sale for $20. I would probably only play single player, or maybe low-key MP games with friends and family. Is the expansion worth that purchase price by now?

Off topic I know,  but how've you been Brick?  I haven't seen you around in a while.

+1.  I need more Brick in my virtual life.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Thanks, all, I think I will pick it up. And thanks for asking how I've been doing, it means a lot. The last couple years have been consistently hard, but I am doing alright. if you have my email/hangouts, feel free to hit me up on there and I'd love to catch up.

Quick hits:

New civs 

Byzantium & Gaul

Byzantium is "all about conquest" (pictured is a dromon with Greek fire), militaristic or religious

Gaul gets "bonuses to culture and production" but aren't peace loving hippies.

New world wonders:

Biosphere: Increases appeal from marsh and rainforest, boosts power and tourism. 
Statue of Zeus: Free military units and bonus production for anti-cav units. 

New map script:
Highlands (lots of hills and mountains)

New game mode:
Dramatic ages - no normal ages, only golden and dark ages. Every new age brings new policies instead of dedications. Also removes era score wastage - extra era score instead boosts loyalty. Georgia gets access to Dark Age policies all the time, and an extra wildcard spot.
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

Byzantium got revealed. Leader is Basil II. A lot of combat strength upgrades contingent on spreading their religion. They get +3 for every holy city they convert, including their own. So after they found a religion they get +3 for the rest of the game basically.

Cav theme for the civ's military. Cav unique unit (Why Basil II gets Tagma and not the Varangian Gaurd I am not sure) that makes other nearby units stronger (+4 CS). Cav does not take penalties for attacking cities of their own religion. Hippodrome (replaces entertainment complex) gives free heavy cav (also +2 amenities but that hardly matters), and those units do not cost maintenance (not sure if its just those units, and when they die you loose that or if it creates a slot for free maintenance. It reads as the former.)

Unlike a lot of religious civs they get some bonuses to help get religion. +1 GP point per holy site. I don't think that they can beat out Russia but they can probably get it reliably second. Also "Byzantium's Religion is spread to nearby cities when an unit from an enemy civilization or city-state is defeated" Not sure what that means exactly, is it like using a charge from a religious unit? Is it dependent on distance? Who know.

Feels like a civ that could snowball quickly if left alone until the classical/medieval era. You could stack that with a GG and their ability pretty easily. +3+4+5 for +13 CS in the mid game?

https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Byzantine_(Civ6)

Based on a video screenshot from CivFanatics it looks like the spread is the equivalent of an apostle's Spread Religion action.  Note the text over Vatican City:

[Image: upload_2020-9-17_21-18-34-png.569377]
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

Now those CS boni by Gaul are just silly.

Grabbed a screenshot of Gaul from the First Look video. They look really strong:

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

So Byzantium, is, as expected, stupidly good. I stumbled into a religious victory in the midst of my Domination victory. Crusade-fueled Heavy Cavalry printed out of Hippodromes is basically unstoppable by the AI.

Giving Gaul a shot now.

It'd be fun to do an Inland Sea game with Rome, Byzantium, Phoenicia, Athens, Sparta, Gaul, Babylon, and Egypt - the ancient Mediterranean.

October update.

I wonder if 3 other players would be interested in giving Pirates mode a go, like we did with the Vikings?