As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Game balance brainstorming.

Actually having a list of spells cast during the round would be incredibly useful information to have somewhere (like the events recap)

(October 21st, 2020, 11:14)roarmalf Wrote: I played a game where I started on a small island with Orihalcon, and ended up with a wall of boats to keep it safe.
How many tiles should the radius of such a circle be? Or which units can scout the furthest?

When the AI army only has a single confused unit left and it comes under player control, why doesn't the battle end immediately in the same way that the battle ends when the player's army only has 1 confused unit left and it goes under enemy control?

(October 22nd, 2020, 15:35)massone Wrote: When the AI army only has a single confused unit left and it comes under player control, why doesn't the battle end immediately in the same way that the battle ends when the player's army only has 1 confused unit left and it goes under enemy control?

It shouldn't end in either case.

Issues with Wizard's Pact Boundaries:

BUG: When the AI newly conquers a city and your unit is within 2 tiles, it doesn't show the warning icon on your unit.

SUGGESTION: When your unit is occupying a tile that is within 2 tiles of your own city, this shouldn't be considered a violation. It's your own rightful territory. Right now it does count, even when on a diagonal from AI's city, and within the direct catchment of your own city.

Quote:BUG: When the AI newly conquers a city and your unit is within 2 tiles, it doesn't show the warning icon on your unit.

Didn't we add a safe period of one turn for new AI cities? Or was that only for outposts?

(October 22nd, 2020, 20:51)Seravy Wrote:
Quote:BUG: When the AI newly conquers a city and your unit is within 2 tiles, it doesn't show the warning icon on your unit.

Didn't we add a safe period of one turn for new AI cities? Or was that only for outposts?

That's why I labeled it a bug. It counts towards the 3-turn violation even though there was no icon. I'm not sure if it would count if it was the 1st turn violation, but it did count as my 3rd turn violation. I accidentally violated by exploring turn 1, then violated again when I went on a shared tile, then the AI conquered 2 cities on the 3rd turn and I had units in both locations. I was forced to reload and disband them to keep the Pact because they couldn't get out fast enough due to terrain. Luckily they were just some individual horsebowmen. Would have sucked if my attack stack was in there 'cause we were both fighting the same Wizard.

(October 22nd, 2020, 20:56)massone Wrote:
(October 22nd, 2020, 20:51)Seravy Wrote:

That's why I labeled it a bug. It counts towards the 3-turn violation even though there was no icon. I'm not sure if it would count if it was the 1st turn violation, but it did count as my 3rd turn violation. I accidentally violated by exploring turn 1, then violated again when I went on a shared tile, then the AI conquered 2 cities on the 3rd turn and I had units in both locations. I was forced to reload and disband them to keep the Pact because they couldn't get out fast enough due to terrain. Luckily they were just some individual horsebowmen. Would have sucked if my attack stack was in there 'cause we were both fighting the same Wizard.

I will need the save file. I looked but the code does set the flag on city conquest so it should be ignored for a turn.

(October 22nd, 2020, 21:08)Seravy Wrote: I will need the save file. I looked but the code does set the flag on city conquest so it should be ignored for a turn.

Save file: https://we.tl/t-RFxyggzQRK

Show the cartographer and you'll see that I have a magic spirit in the south west exploring which has a warning. Move that away, and there will be no more warning icons anywhere, but if you end turn Kali breaks the Pact, because I have a nomad horsebowmen beside Doraat and Pangor each, which were just conquered (they are just east of the magic spirit, and west of my 3 cities in the south). They don't show warning icons but are counting as violations.

Quote:They don't show warning icons but are counting as violations.

I understand what's the problem.

The AI did conquer the city and marked them new, which made the cities ignored for that turn.
Then the AI ends the turn.
Then it's your turn. The cities still have the "new" flag but they aren't really new anymore as the AI ended the turn they were conquered on and skipped checking those cities for that turn already.
Then you end the turn.
The AI gets their turn and starts by clearing the "new" flag from cities because it's a now their next turn. And then moves units etc and finally the diplomacy phase notices the city which is no longer new.

So in simple terms, the AI will ignore the new city during the turn it became the new city. You don't get an additional turn beyond that. If you already see the city during your turn, that's the last turn you can move it.

I think the way to fix the display issue is to change the marking to be removed at the end of the AI's turn instead of the beginning of the next one. As long as the AI doesn't obtain a new city during a turn that's not their own...but that fortunately isn't something that can happen (aside from the very rare marriage event.) so it seems fine.