As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Roland and Suboptimal Team Up

TURN 10

Nothing really happens at capital.

[Image: mjVzqIR.jpg]

Some land behind the barb camp.

[Image: bat0UT5.jpg]

Interesting crab in the south. Why is that coast I wonder

[Image: 5U2qf7E.jpg]
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Going east and east with slinger next to try and get the spear to come into the forest.

I could then get a hit take a hit and retreat to capital to heal hopefully dragging him with me to die.

The spearman will only follow you so far, IIRC. The best way I've found to do it is to lure the spear out until you can get to a forest or hill - you might be able to drag it to the tundra forest you're on now. Two hits from the slinger and damage from the spear's attack should put it under 30 damage, at which point the spear will return to the camp.

In looking at the river valley your warrior is at, that plains forest NW of the wheat is actually a good spot to settle from a defensive perspective. So long as you didn't chop the forest SW of the wheat the city could not be seen or shot at from the coast. Even if you chopped that forest only one ship would have line of sight and range to hit the city until battleships came along. It might conflict a bit with a desert city but we'll know in a few turns.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

Yeah liking that spot.

Not sure if tbs has set it up like this but all spots have serious pluses and minuses. If he has it's brilliant.

I would be boxed in on that hill. I may not get it to follow me all the way but I can heal and go back.

The spearman will leave the camp if a ranged player unit gets within two hexes of the camp and the spear has line of sight. If you move the slinger 2E the spear should move to the forest SW of the camp. You'd then move W-SW, the spear follows and then you can get into either forest without getting attacked. Should be fine but you need to wait until you have Discipline. Without the +5 CS your slinger won't do enough damage and the spear could attack twice, likely killing the slinger.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England

(December 17th, 2020, 13:31)roland of gilead Wrote: interesting as we could get some really good amenities with TOA and Coliseum wasn't planning to build coliseum.

I haven't seen any flood plains or volcanoes, and the map, while breathtaking, is food poor.  This suggests smaller cities that are easier to make happier, with 6 luxury types so discovered far.
  • 2 chocolate 
  • 2 diamonds
  • 1 pearls 
  • 3 tea
  • 3 truffles
  • 1 turtles
Natural Parks sites potentially in every city, for amenities, but also to boost Chinese tourism for the quixotic culture victory. 

I'd guess that Temple of Artemis will be competitive, though luckily Indonesia have both deer and truffle locations while I assume China is prioritizing Stonehenge and then the Pyramids.

Yeah, some of the meta discussion about the new patch is whether to keep cities small and go very wide or stick with "conventional" city growth. I expect that we'll find more turtles and pearls as we uncover more coast. While this isn't a standard map we've likely found all the luxuries available to us until we find another continent.

Regarding the Temple of Artemis I don't know how competitive it'll be. If everyone has a food poor start it will force us all into making careful decisions about being production efficient - after all, less food = less pop = less production. Me, personally, have no plans to chase it - I'd rather use that production on ships or settlers.

I doublechecked the Trondheimsfjorden name and it is on Norway's name list. No telling how large a "sea" might be, though.

China in the game should make people nervous about going for toa.

I think machu might be competitive though. But I will have an edge there as well perhaps with my pantheon.

No flood plains is brutal as is no volcano. But if it's the same for everyone it removes some random elements certainly.

if you go for a religion religious communities just got good. certainly for gold.

trade routes to me from a city with holy site and 2 buildings + 6 gold.

I count as international right?

We'll have to see how religions shake out -- it'd depend on what beliefs you were able to secure with your religion.

We each count as international for each other's trade routes.