As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Roland and Suboptimal Team Up

I went back into the EoT save to look around some more. The Kara Sea is only south of the barbarian camp - to the east it's the Iapetus Ocean. Up north by my second city it's the Jawa Sea. What's also interesting is that the Trondheimsfjorden starts all the way out by the crabs SW of the chocolate resources and ends SE of my capital's truffles.

The new city location can get a Campus and a Holy Site with reasonable adjacencies - +2 and +3 - if built in a triangle with the city. The coastal district gets the +3.

I don't think the desert is worth the effort of getting a Chinese city over there. Yes, Petra would be spectacular there but I think a Petra city at Lake Tai might actually make more sense. Settling on the lakeside wheat puts five desert tiles in the second ring and loses one to Petra.

If you want a laugh and haven't yet looked at the Classical Era tech tree, take a look at this:

Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

Turn 20

Settler is done, start builder. Though it crimps growth I work the truffles and grassland hill forest. Collectively we should have enough Icon_Gold around Turn 26 for me to buy the rice at the second city. I may use the settler’s vision range and take a 1-turn slower path up the east bank of the river to defog a little bit more north of that camp. Settler and warrior start converging. The settler reveals pearls and some land:

I’ll have my first galley in 8-9 turns. I have a feeling the race here is to Shipbuilding.

Other warrior smacks the camp, turn complete. I’ll rest and heal for a couple of turns before resuming the assault.

In looking at the desert area I think a city right on the point would be workable with a ton of Kampung spam. Might be worth founding a city there once Ancestral Hall (and possibly Feudalism) are both complete.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England

I see you have land off the south coast as well.

I agree i suspect there are some great cities to be had on other landmasses.

i will look at improving 2 sea resources. That might mean you need to research irrigation and pass on to me the eureka.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Improving two sea resources is the eureka for Celestial Navigation, not Shipbuilding. Owning two galleys is the eureka for Shipbuilding and I should have that in about 20 turns, if that. I'll laugh quite heartily if Shipbuilding turns out to be the bottleneck tech in the Classical Age.

TURN 21

Nothing exciting.

[Image: wMzm9b9.jpg]

Out of interest Sub why choose that as your second city?

Is it just the growth?

In the early game, particularly before city-states are met, all of your yields are coming from population and the tiles they work. Earlier growth = more overall yield = more stuff.

Within reason, a faster growing city location is preferred over a slower one. Exceptions could be strategic/luxury resource grabs or if a particular start strategy dictates otherwise. The districts that are placed in early cities give the most benefit through the course of a game and getting that second district slot available and locked early can matter greatly in a game. With later cities rapid growth still matters as it reduces the payback time on the settler but other considerations (strategic placement, resource or chop availability) are usually equally important.

From a post a couple pages ago:

(December 31st, 2020, 15:02)suboptimal Wrote: First 20 turn yields:

Pinned location: Found on Turn 25, 2 pop (growing to 3 pop start of 21st turn), 52Icon_Production 16Icon_Science 9.6Icon_Culture 60Icon_Gold 76Icon_Faith
NE Coast: Found on Turn 24 (but), 3 pop with 17Icon_Food, 84Icon_Production 22Icon_Science 13.2Icon_Culture 0Icon_Gold 82Icon_Faith

As I stated there, the yields are better at the NE coast. While Icon_Gold is a pooled resource and more is better, the marginal increases in all other yields are worth it. While these differences are smallish over the first 20 turns, extrapolate these out 50 or 60 turns and things really start to add up. The other difference favoring this city location is the district placement - it's all first ring and good adjacencies (+2 & +3 on land, +4 Harbor). There's also a bit more Breathtaking appeal up there, which provides more flexibility in choosing tiles to work. Now, if there's a high Icon_Food tile hidden in the fog to the east I might shift the city in that direction (settling 1E of the marker is a plains hill settlement) but it'd have to be really good to make that move. I expect that there isn't room up there for two cities.

Some other ponderings:

- I'm back to agreeing with you that we should take Choral Music as the founder belief if it's available.
- Once I complete Sailing I'm going to go back and complete Astrology and Writing. I don't really like my district placement options at the capital but I'll be going Holy Site first on the spot directly W of the deer
- City #2 will go Campus first on the +3 spot
- I don't like my options (or lack thereof) for the Government Plaza. The only thing I can think of is to place the GP SW of the capital deer so that it's available for adjacencies from a city on that river for a district W of the truffles.

Excellent analysis cheers. Helps my learning.

I just think there are a dozen ways to get food. Culture not so much.

Building a shrine in my cap instead of a monument is all kinds of good. etc.

Religion should bring hammers or culture. possibly science. Even amenities perhaps. Hard to get things.

Food is the key to the game like all of these games but you can get it a fair few ways.

When religion comes round I will wait to play my turn so we can have a good chat about it and get aligned. TURN 37 is the push target smile