As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Roland and Suboptimal Team Up

Crunched the numbers, yields first 25 turns:

1) As Pinned: 3 pop w/ 6Icon_Food in the bank, 77Icon_Production 23.5Icon_Science 14.1Icon_Culture 75Icon_Gold 144Icon_Faith. That's working diamonds first, stone second, plains hill SW of the diamonds third. Working the tea third after cultural acquisition is -8Icon_Production +4Icon_Science

2) Settle diamonds: 3 pop w/ 10Icon_Food in the bank, 67Icon_Production 27.5Icon_Science 14.1Icon_Culture 75Icon_Gold 84Icon_Faith. Work stone first, purchase & work wheat second, plains forest for a turn and then tea for three. Only upside is connecting a luxury without a builder charge.

3) Settle plains hill SW of diamonds: 3 pop w/ 10Icon_Food in the bank, 94Icon_Production 27.5Icon_Science 14.1Icon_Culture 75Icon_Gold 138Icon_Faith. Work the diamonds first, wheat second, plains forest for a turn and then tea for three.

(1) provides coastal access and would be a little Icon_Food limited until the wheat was purchased (at third ring prices) or a lighthouse gets built. However, that's still a slow grower with no 3Icon_Food tiles available.

(3) gives up coastal access for a gain in Icon_Production but also long term Icon_Food - farming the wheat gives a 3Icon_Food tile, as does the coastal grassland. The two tiles south of the wheat could be farmed for both the Feudalism inspiration and as a farm triangle (more Icon_Food). In this case I'd likely leave the Holy Site where it was (as a +3) and put the Campus on the forest SE of the Holy Site. That'd drop the HS to +2 but make the Campus +3. As an alternative I'd put the Holy Site 2E of the city center and the Campus would go on the woods between the two. The advantage there is that they could not be seen or pillaged from the coast. That configuration also means I can move the GP from the current pin to NE of the capital's HS. contemplate I'll pin out that version next turn.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

TURN 23

It's fairly big.

Firstly I accept your gift will send back gold next turn.

[Image: z02IvFn.jpg]

Scout shows up over your way.

[Image: wK32Div.jpg]

I destroy the barb camp for that scout I think. Also get 3 ES was expecting 2. Length of time it was about? or first one?

[Image: GYCcCfe.jpg]

This shows us a new civic.

[Image: hHOdaDO.jpg]

James Tavernier surely the greatest player currently playing is founded and starts work on a worker until mining comes in.

[Image: UlPnAhk.jpg]

New land revealed in the NE and warrior goes west to explore. Slinger will heal then explore a bit in ne.

[Image: hRq9xks.jpg]

Capital does some micro to grow next turn but improve hammers. HS in 4 turns now.

[Image: LQgNj5j.jpg]

Buy the worker at capital. wheat next turn then off to Stonehenge.

[Image: ZnpsYy7.jpg]
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Barbarian camps are worth 3 era score if they are within 5 tiles of one of your cities when you clear. We'll know when I play my turn if that scout was associated with the camp you just cleared or the one out to my east. I'll see the red exclamation point of doom if it's with the eastern camp. It still begs the question where are the other scouts? The camp you just cleared didn't have one and II should have seen a scout from the other one. One possibility (which is unpleasant) is that two of the three camps were naval camps and there are barbarian quadriremes off the coast. However, we should have seen at least one of those by now given the positions of the camps.

That fish in the sea by the camp slightly changes things as it makes a couple of Kampung possible. However I am still inclined to think that City #3 goes inland just based on that location's short and longer term prospects.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England

glad i settled first then cleared.

i think you need 4 sea tiles to be a naval camp?

I wasn't aware that there was a tile count requirement for a barbarian camp to be naval - thought it was a fixed chance if it spawned on the coast. If the 4-tile requirement is the case then there should be two more scouts running around. Hopefully they turn up so we can unlock Bronze Working.

(January 6th, 2021, 11:58)suboptimal Wrote: I wasn't aware that there was a tile count requirement for a barbarian camp to be naval - thought it was a fixed chance if it spawned on the coast.  If the 4-tile requirement is the case then there should be two more scouts running around.  Hopefully they turn up so we can unlock Bronze Working.

The game Mechanic mentioned it on a stream a while back and the 2 or 3 i have seen so far since have always had 4 tiles. Would explain why they are rare even on water based maps. The civolopedia just says on coast but it is awful. 

here is another one did you know stables provide experience to siege units?

Yeah, the stables buff has been around for a while. No one builds them, though, as they're more expensive. They're only worth building if your plan is a cavalry attack game or perhaps a knight slingshot.

could also just be because the tech hasn't been discovered.

we have seen 2 scouts. you whacked on and this one is new.

hard to believe we have seen so little of 3 of them.

Turn 23

First order of business, clear the barbarian camp. Military Tradition is boosted, 50Icon_Gold in the coffers and 2 era score.

That scout at my borders doesn’t have the red exclamation point of doom. That likely means it was from one of the camps west of my capital, likely the northern one. This will be confirmed next turn. Barbarian scouts tend to freeze in place unless they see a unit of the civ that cleared their camp or they come within hostile range of another unit.

In the northeast my units enter the forest. There’s a bit more land up here:

The tile NE of the tea appears to be tundra, as does the tile NE of the coastal PFH. Most of the appeal to the east is charming, the exception being the forest NE of the fish. That’s also a coastal tile and the eastern edge of it runs north/south. No city-states on Settlervision. If I had to guess there’s at least two to our south, if not three, waiting for Shipbuilding.

Archduke and Kaiser both just completed their second tech. CMF just settled his second city. China has gained a domestic tourist indicating they’ve earned 100Icon_Culture so far. Roland, you’re first through that door and I’m likely right behind you with the clearing of the camp.

I’m going to move my western warrior back towards my capital to try to find the “missing” scout and then dispose of that scout at my capital’s borders. The other warrior will heal in the city once it’s founded and then go take out that eastern camp. I’ve also made a decision regarding the builder – I’m going to farm the rice, camp the truffles and then go scouting across the sea with it. Builders can embark at Sailing and we have land that needs exploring. So long as there are no barbarian quadriremes I should be OK. I don’t need the fish improved immediately because I wouldn’t be working the tile soon anyway.

Roland, there’s no rush on sending me cash back – I’ll have enough for the rice buy after this turn.

TURN 24

Scouts galore in the east. None triggered yet.

[Image: 9rbOI6b.jpg]

Moved slinger and promoted. Warrior going west. Wheat farmed. I know I should probably have kept the slinger promotion but I know what one I want and it healed her.

[Image: 4b0r32L.jpg]

Only bronze working and masonry to find. We will know where they all are when I finish mining next turn.

[Image: sl7EltL.jpg]

At the cap I micro for soonest HS finish with max growth.

[Image: F9p8lu5.jpg]

Tav buys it's PHF before the cost goes up.

[Image: xNf8Vwm.jpg]

STONEHENGE starts next turn.