As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Woden and ljubljana like boats

Turn 34-Vikings
Start turn of with moving the builder and putting a quarry on the stone, boosting masonry and completing 2 city state quests. Longboat heads due east...

Finds, maybe another island or start of a larger island. Might be a good sport for a city.

Turn 35 - Phoenicia

I did get double-attacked, leaving my warrior on very low health but the barb warrior on even lower health. I attack it with the low-health warrior, who is now on very low health (1/100) but is safe to heal for a few turns since there are no barbs left to the south. With the spear now unfortified, the other warrior had odds to clear the camp this turn but lowrolled, oh well. It'll probably be attacked by the new barb warrior in the interturn and will need to spend a turn or two healing to get out of the danger zone, but then will take out the camp. We're also now at the point that, if anything goes wrong, either warrior can be sacrificed to take it out.

Still a little undecided over whether to let FT complete ASAP for faster boats or to wait to swap out of GK. I'm leaning towards the former now, I think, followed by a 6-turn EE research to get rid of GK, driven mostly by wanting to get the boats out a few turns sooner to start climbing out of this ES hole. If we end up needing to keep Discipline for longer, I'll delay it, though. Also undecided on fish vs sheep at the capital. Fish will let us build up more of a food stockpile for the coming settler push, but being at a larger size as we make settlers will also escalate the food cost, which might mean it's not actually worthwhile. I worked the fish this turn, but could easily change my mind. The builder could tip the balance towards the sheep, actually, since it looks like our Cothon time is beaker-limited in a way that makes mining before CN seem not worth it even if we don't get God of the Open Sky. That means the third builder charge may as well go on the sheep ASAP so it doesn't have to wander back and forth between the two cities.

I'm wondering if I should think about saving my gold rather than immediately buying the trader, actually, even though we'll have enough gold to buy one soon. I'm about 12 or so turns out from CN with no mining, in my estimation, and the capital's going to finish this builder and make two boats in 3t each between now and then. That leaves a trader-sized hole in its build order before the Cothon is available, and I can't think of anything else that could plausibly go there that would be useful. Most of another builder could go there maybe, but we don't have enough improvable tiles left at these cities for that to make sense, I think, with the Linear A builder on the way for mines and the quarry. I could then use the saved gold on buying the second trader as soon as the GP's up, which is much harder to find space in the build order for since we can't build it until post-Cothons.

Works for me. If you are building the trader, you might want to consider a buying monument or granary in Linear A. Probably have enough gold for another trader by the time you build the GP.

Turn 35-Vikings
Start turn off with finishing...

The tech after it is irrigation and I start researching it to get my pantheon bonus online. I will have to switch off of it once I get close to the boost, as it will take the builder a little time to farm the rice. Builder moves to teh horses and will pasture them next turn before heading to the rice. 

The longboat moves east...

And gets first contact with suboptimal/roland and 2 era points. I think they might be north of my longboat, east of our island. I am going to continue east to get around the world and will have to have another boat snoop around this island. If you get a boat and head west, I might have my next longboat look around their island. What do you think? Or should I have my longboat head west and you look around?

(January 18th, 2021, 20:37)Woden Wrote: I am going to continue east to get around the world and will have to have another boat snoop around this island. If you get a boat and head west, I might have my next longboat look around their island. What do you think? Or should I have my longboat head west and you look around?

I'd say it probably makes more sense for your second boat to look around here and my first boat to head west, just to save transit time by having us both explore the things we're closer to. I plan to make the first boat next, before the trader, so that shouldn't result in any slowdown in contacting whoever's in that direction.

Turn 26 - Phoenicia

All I did this turn was fortify the warriors - we should be ok if we get double-attacked, but it'll be tight health-wise. Linear A hits size 2 (and the housing cap), which triggers the EE eureka and bumps my science up to 10 via the free envoy - CN due in 11 now. For some reason I got contact with just suboptimal and not roland? Not sure what the deal with that is...I guess I'll have to send a boat over to link up with them eventually if that doesn't resolve itself.

(January 18th, 2021, 21:35)ljubljana Wrote: For some reason I got contact with just suboptimal and not roland? Not sure what the deal with that is...I guess I'll have to send a boat over to link up with them eventually if that doesn't resolve itself.

Oh yes, forgot about that little detail. So, suboptimal has met us both and I have met both of them but for some reason, you only met suboptimal and roland has most likely only met me. No bug, it is how it is, especially since I moved away from his ship (I moved a tile SE after meeting him and he went into the fog). If I had stayed visible to him, you may have met both since you would have vision on his ship.

...oops. I guess I was overconfident in my approach here, thinking a fifth unit wouldn't spawn in this wave. I'm not sure there much to do here but sacrifice the warrior to take out the camp, unless you have other thoughts? At least the other warrior should be able to get away.

(January 19th, 2021, 21:19)ljubljana Wrote: ...oops. I guess I was overconfident in my approach here, thinking a fifth unit wouldn't spawn in this wave. I'm not sure there much to do here but sacrifice the warrior to take out the camp, unless you have other thoughts? At least the other warrior should be able to get away.

I don't see how you get a way alive with the one warrior so better to take the camp. At least you will gain something.

Turn 37 - Phoenicia

So be it. I put a turn into a replacement warrior, just in case. I'll probably swap onto the boat next turn with the policy in place, but, yeah, replacing the warrior might be necessary instead of hand-building the trader. That's a shame, but I guess it's not too bad, since we're almost ready to buy the trader anyways.

Wonder pop-up is China finishing Stonehenge, natch. No religion yet, but I assume you'll see one, unless they need some time to transit to their holy site.

Turn 36-Vikings
Sorry, no screenshots this turn. I removed steam from my computer to re-install it on a new SSD drive and forgot that the screenshots would also be deleted.  

Anyways, my second longboat is out and I send him to scoop out the northeast. Get the boost to Shipbuilding and it is located right in the middle of the 7 tech column, right before horseback riding. I hooked up my horses for the boost to horseback riding and my longboat continues east, finding a barb camp and new continent.