As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Roland and Suboptimal Team Up

(March 9th, 2021, 09:59)suboptimal Wrote: One other thing - when you get around to the Encampment(s) and start putting up buildings you/we might want to consider a stables over a barracks.  Siege weapons do full damage against ships and could, in theory, be used as shore batteries for coastal defense.  If we want to go that route then stables give a +25% XP bonus to siege units (it's a hidden bonus).  Just something to think about.

Good shout i would have naturally built a barracks probably. I do want to get knights i think as well but haven't got that far in my thinking quite yet.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

I think Russia grabbed DotF.

As far as siege engines go we have time to decide. One negative is that they can't move in and shoot unless there's a great general around.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

Yeah they are a bit useless without a general.

I take it they used an apostle will have a look next time i am in.

Itinerant Preachers Religion spreads to cities 30% further away. could be ok.

early enough for this to be viable as well.

Religious Colonization Cities start with this religion in place if founded by a player who has this as their majority religion.

Does religious colonization apply only to the founder or to anyone that founds a city and has that religion their majority? If it will apply to my cities that might be the one to take - convert one more city of mine and it's the majority religion and will save us needing missionaries to spread it across Big Island.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England

I just looked around - Religious Colonization does affect other players' cities. This might make it easier to spread & convert our civs as we expand.

yeah that's looking promising then.

Might take 12 or so turns to get. Also depends what the apostles get for promotions. I would like to use any spare spreads they have.

Itinerant preachers would start converting Norway perhaps, though this is not civ 4 and there's no advantage to that. Not without crusade.

Turn 72

The Mississippi Delta
Was shining like a national guitar
I am following the river
Down the highway
Through the cradle of the Civil War
I'm going to

The city will likely grab the iron first and hill wine second. I’d consider purchasing the hill wine at 2 population but that population won’t be around for very long right now – it’ll be sold into city building. Warrior moves back to the horses and will upgrade next turn. After some thought I lock in a Campus NE of the city but start work on a monument. I’ll get the 2Icon_Culture going first for tile expansion and then worry about getting the district built.

Slinger attacks the barbarian, redlining it and earning a promotion. This could turn into a foot chase depending on whether the barbarian crosses the river (likely, “better” defense) or runs into the fog going east. To the south the warrior moves inland past the flood:

I’m going to stay on the north side of the river and get the other river defogged for some pinmapping and to kill the barbarian camp that’s likely in there. It’s possible to settle two cities along this river but one of them would be coastal. Given that choice I’d likely settle on the coast closest to Nazca., albeit in the flood zone. Alternatively I’d bury the city in that open grassland NE of the horses and call it a day. There is room for at least three more inland cities here on the two rivers; anything beyond that would require coastal settlement. I’ll need to think on that for a bit – Roland, any thoughts?

Land units at home fortify in place. Al’s monument is complete and quadrireme building has begun. I’ll slot Maritime Industries in two turns and then they’ll be 5-turn builds. Getting my Icon_Gold income up will be critical because in addition to upgrade costs each jong will run 5Icon_Gold per turn in maintenance.

Northern galley finds a barbarian camp up in the tundra. Southern galley heads west and finds a spit of land to investigate further. There’s an outside chance that this galley finds Archduke/Kaiser’s “backlines” first given the map layout. We shall see. I also catch something I think I missed before:

There’s a river along the fog on that island. The warrior will be there in a couple of turns. Depending on what’s under there I may want to park another city there as well.

Have a Good Time will purchase a settler next turn. From there it should be 10 turns to reach the source end of the river south of Graceland.

After Political Philosophy I think I’m going to complete Theology in order to get a temple built at Diamonds for some more Icon_Faith and Icon_Culture. Even though Mercenaries is close by leveraging our ability to generate culture “easier” will pay dividends further down the tree. For techs I’m going to complete Mathematics, Engineering and then Horseback Riding. That will all complete in 10 turns and then I’ll go back for Construction and Currency.

Roland, one other note. When James Tavernier starts taking third ring tiles please let me know. Once that happens I want to purchase the grassland SW of Diamond’s wheat to preserve that city’s farm triangle. I don’t want to make the purchase now because I’m hoarding and it’d slow down the city’s acquisition of the resources to the north.

TURN 73

You are pretty safe at Tav for a while

[Image: VWLONv7.jpg]

Capital finishes it's temple and starts on a warrior. will get 3 out before iron working.

[Image: wfuiAvK.jpg]

Mahabodi is 10 turns away which as things stand is before anyone else gets a religion (except you Sub) though apostles are of course possible. DOTF is still available would be nice to get perhaps. I do like the idea of free spreads time to think on this.

[Image: AK63Bnf.jpg]

Turn 73

No notifications. Take a look around.

To the south the barbarian slinger has disappeared into the fog. My slinger gives chase and finds a warrior in the fog as well. Warrior to the south moves east, finds woods. Warrior at Graceland upgrades...no it does’t...need two more iron so will handle that next turn. Big Island:

The camp is likely SE of the barbarian warrior. My slinger is also likely getting attacked by it next turn. We have also learned that it’s the Zambezi River. I should be able to see enough next turn to pinmap this area out. The founding of Graceland took Al out of happy status for the time being. Wine or salt would fix that but it’s not urgent. Graceland is taking the iron first in 33 turns. I also see that I misqueued and put a turn into the Campus. No biggie. Monument in 15.

Up at Have a Good Time the city has grown and I buy a settler. To the north I send my galley around the island to the north to defog. Coming down to Japan from the south might provide a small amount of obfuscation. To the west the embarked warrior closes in on the island. Gotta get around some cliffs and then I can disembark.

In the far south my galley finds something interesting:

The only time circular roads occur is with a razed city. I wonder if this was a city-state location? contemplate Nothing on settlervision except for some loyalty from Geneva.

I don’t see any noteworthy gossip. Based on score CMF has a settler out, likely Icon_Faith purchased. I’ll have a great prophet in three turns and will promptly send it socuting. I think sailing to somewhere south of (W)odin and having a walkabout is a good idea. mischief

Political Philosophy finishes next turn. I’ll be going into Oligarchy, keeping my two current policies (Conscription, Natural Philosophy) and adding Maritime Industries and Urban Planning. Mathematics finishes the turn after that.

yeah was going to suggest it go scout woden.

You need any iron from me?