As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Roland and Suboptimal Team Up

doesn't seem to be anything in the update for us so far. glad no one went spain perhaps.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Not yet, anyways. China did get a boost, though - when you complete a wonder you get a free inspiration and eureka from that Wonder's age. That applies to Dynastic Cycle so the leader doesn't matter.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

Turn 103

I open the save to notifications that Marcopolo and CMF have declared war on Yerevan. They’re also working down the city’s defenses. Kaiser is currently the suzerain there. contemplate There’s also a new barbarian outpost but I deleted the notification. Map search reveals the location:

Eh, I’ll have to clean that mess up at some point.

Down at Rodeo:

Looks like one of the injured galleys has retreated to the city to repair. Center jong moves SE and there’s more:

This is a veritable shooting gallery. I bring up the rear jong and ponder this situation for a bit. I sink the one SE of the crabs with the two northern units, with the northernmost earning a promotion. I’ll take the antiship one with that unit as that will let me start one-shotting these things. The southern pair can maim two (Russian & Australian) or kill the Russian. The Russian dies.

I’ve also realized that the Russian great writer outside Hearts and Bones is acting as a bit of a scout. Despite that I purchase a jong now so it can join the fray in two turns. I bring the swordsman out of Mother and Child and will send that unit back to where it came from in a couple of turns. I also send the galley up there to give chase if he embarks it once he sees the swordsman. As for the quads, I send one up the coast to deal with the barbarian scout. The other moves back into Mother & Child Reunion’s territory.

Roland, I’ve sent a request for 60Icon_Gold - I’m going to finish Military Tradition, put in Professional Army and do a jong upgrade to add a jong to the fleet. There are probably a few more galleys hanging around down here and the added firepower will help. I’m willing to bet that Australia is currently running Maritime Industries while they’ve got their civ bonus running. That’s fine for now – as the jongs upgrade they’ll be one-shot, one-kill against galleys (and quadriremes). The two units I can promote will back up next turn and promote, then I’ll see if I can cut my way through.

Builder harvests a jungle at Mother & Child as its last charge. That adds a population and brings the walls down to two turns. I didn’t want to wait to repair the horse pasture as I won’t be able to work it for a while (and the barbarian scout could capture the builder). Diamonds has finished its walls; horse completes next turn and then it’s on to the Campus.

Roland, be aware that Ljubljana has put Amani into Antananarivo.

I’m thinking maybe with six jong down here a better move will be to take the two cities right here, send three up and over to capture the capital and send the other three into Russia, razing cities as I go. That’ll relieve loyalty pressure on the Australian captures and speed the process of taking Russia down a peg. Of course, I could also raze out Australia (since many of the cities won’t be fresh water plants) and keep the Russian ones. Thoughts?

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England

TURN 104

Some political stuff i don't like.

[Image: 0HLM1ob.jpg]
[Image: EeuoP0y.jpg]

I liked having Yervan. Indeed i considered putting another 3 envoys in. I also preferred when russia/australia were fighting on 2 fronts.

Because of this Sub i have sent you all my gold you need as many jongs as possible in the field. Between Russia having loads of citys and Australia with double production they can build galleys faster than you can sink them and soon they will have frigates of their own.

[Image: gTq2dBO.jpg]

Buy a settler for the NW

[Image: Dy6aXaC.jpg]

missionary heading to 50 ways.

[Image: ZcK3jaC.jpg]

OK...I'll ube able to upgrade one this turn and one the following turn. I'll send back any leftovers if you need them. I also think that I'm going to raze the two Aussie cities right where I am and then start in on Russia. Australia's bonus kicks back in if they liberate a city so I don't want to extend things any longer than necessary. I declared on T99 so we've got 6 more turns of 100% production before they calm down. It's definitely a race to frigates right now.

(April 13th, 2021, 07:08)suboptimal Wrote: OK...I'll ube able to upgrade one this turn and one the following turn.  I'll send back any leftovers if you need them.  I also think that I'm going to raze the two Aussie cities right where I am and then start in on Russia.  Australia's bonus kicks back in if they liberate a city so I don't want to extend things any longer than necessary.  I declared on T99 so we've got 6 more turns of 100% production before they calm down.  It's definitely a race to frigates right now.

australia have a holy site spitting out 36 production right now. 

they may be able to just bog us down in a sea of galleys. They aren't invading us at least not right now so i don't need gold for upgrades and what is more important a tile or a jong right now. 

I am also making 85 gold per turn and that will be over 100 in 5 turns from now. 

let's press this advantage to the max and hope it lasts as long as possible. 

agree on the raising and on to russia

Turn 104

Got a pile of Icon_Gold to spend and a likely pile of ships to kill. I’ve earned an era score for completing my first horse unit. There’s a deal waiting, I take all of Roland’s Icon_Gold

Military Tradition is complete. Resume Feudalism. I take Raid out, put in Professional Army. To the Aussie front:

Lots of boats. The frontline unit with a promotion backs up and promotes. The northern one stays put and promotes. At a strength of 67 galleys will either be one-shot or deadlined. Remaining two jongs open fire and take out an Australian galley. Jong at Hearts and Bones comes on down. Quad in my territory upgrades. Other quad comes around the point and will upgrade next turn. Swordsman embarks and will land at Hearts and Bones next turn.

Elsewhere the Japanese quadrireme has shown up southwest of Good Time. New trader at Al relocates there.

Kaiser is fighting something – his milpower dropped about 30 this past turn. Yerevan will be taken next turn. All Indonesian cities will be walled within the next four turns – Hearts and Bones will be the last to do so. That dovetails nicely with the five turns to complete Feudalism.

TURN 105

I complete oracle. Will be up to 6 GS and GM points this turn.

Start Toa due in 5 turns.

[Image: hD3Oqko.jpg]

Next turn will be interesting. faith will go up despite losing the religious city state. Temple coming in and new Jebel city.
culture will take a big jump with temple and a new worker for the great wall. Gold will jump too.

I also start a run of ship building next turn. I want to get as many as possible out ready to upgrade if i survive the next 25 turns.

Turn 105

Yerevan has been defeated and I can convene the World Congress if I so choose. I choose not to. (Here we go again rolleye).

Education complete. It’s a leaf tech so nothing new to show. I start Castles and will follow through to Apprenticeship.

Swordsman goes ashore at Hearts and Bones. I send the galley around to the north end of the island. If/when CMF embarks I’ll send the writer home. Galley near Phoenicia is working along some polar land northwest of Runic. Trader at Have a Good Time heads for Doing the Honours. Horseman embarks at Al, headed for Big Island up near Graceland. Mother and Child Reunion has finished walls and has started its Campus (35 turns to go). I’ve also realized/remembered that I can’t swap tiles at Proof and the former Russian cities while the latter are in occupied status.

Each of the remaining cities at Big Island will complete walls over the next three turns. Two libraries and a Campus will complete in the next 3-5 turns as well as a Harbor at Good Time (two turns). Graceland is going to go Campus → Library and then I’ll contemplate locking a Harbor (with a tile purchase) while I get out some land military for defense at Big Island. I’m thinking a few catapults (for shore defense at Skies and Reunion) and horses and swords for general defense. I also need to upgrade slingers to archers at some point. Lastly in the empire improvement department I think a builder purchase on Big Island and one at home are in order.

Down south the 2v1 shooting gallery continues. I have a feeling I’ll get stalled out here but will earn a bunch of promotions in the process:

There are two galleys in range of the promoted jongs. Those shoot first, sinking the closest Russian galley and doing 98 damage to the southernmost Aussie galley. The other two jongs sink another Russian galley; both earn promotions. New jongs come up behind and will take their places next turn while they promote. Quad moves into home territory and upgrades. The four promoted jongs should make more rapid work of the opposing fleet. Galley near Low-End Theory has been spotted by a missionary. I move west; the city is unoccupied. I should have the probable capital defogged next turn. Confucius embarks and will head for Russian lands to attempt to get some scouting done.

Australia has founded the city of Aquemini northeast of Fantasy. CMF’s milpower jumped by about 70 but I just sank 60 of that. No one has hit Square Rigging yet, though, so that’s good.

Roland, for ships you’ll want mostly quadriremes to upgrade to frigates when you complete Square Rigging. A few galleys for caravel upgrades is good as well. Need to locate Cartography more than anything – those that can transit ocean tiles first will have a temporary upper hand in navigation.

Turn 106

Buttress is in and reveals printing, i start on education and will build a couple more archers before doing Machinery.

[Image: BsrACRD.jpg]

Pass on the world congress nonsense

[Image: QdcPrri.jpg]

There is a hurricane notification which panics me but should be safe enough. Lubijana may not be.

[Image: DceucEG.jpg]

Working some nice PETRAWALL tiles.

[Image: FEztFs0.jpg]

Steve Davis is founded. I will buy a settler here for starfish island i 5 turns.

[Image: P9F6hZg.jpg]

GM and GS points are up

[Image: d0nmfv1.jpg]
[Image: DbQ3xCm.jpg]

Sub what is your tech path? I will have 2 harbors in 2 turns. We should split our paths so each of us is hard teching one of the paths.