As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Woden and ljubljana like boats

(June 8th, 2021, 20:35)ljubljana Wrote:

My caravels are going to pillage both the mine and pasture on my turn and will block your frigates. They will move to hit the campus and GP at his capital the following turn. You will only be able to hit the city from the tile SE of the horses since you can't fire over hills since Fort Miln is not on a hill. My wester n most pair of caravels will probably be attacked by his caravel. I will attack it with one of mine and leave it for you to kill for the era points. My other one will pillage the mine.

Okay, I think I will still hit the city with two frigates this turn, one from 2SE and one from 2W of the city center, since it sounds like you will not need to occupy those tiles for pillaging this turn. Since we are already going to have units in range of the city fire next turn, I don't think there's any sense in waiting, since it won't save health on our units.

I think Kaiser's caravel will probably run away since there is zero chance that it can kill a unit by itself, but if it does attack you it should be easy enough to two-shot with my Line of Battle frigates down there, so you can probably pillage with those ships too in that case if you want to (though it would also be nice to have shielding for my frigate 2W of the city which will then be a little exposed). I will also start moving up my horsie so that I can take the city with it if I have to...

Where do you think we should go after Fort Miln? I see two main options...one is the capital, the other is TAD's city-state capture. We could also try to do both at once, with three frigates at the capital (which we can only hit safely from two spots anyways...) and four at the CS. We do need to burn TAD's CS eventually as it is a free +100% hammers for Australia if we let it live long enough for their DoF to expire. Maybe I should start working on the capital's walls early to see how much damage it does to my frigates and how many frigates I am eventually going to need to commit to that...especially since otherwise I will just have ships sitting around with nothing to hit next turn...

OH wait, if you are moving to hit the capital's campus next turn, does that mean I should not move my two frigates up and start on its walls this turn? I was planning to do that, but I think it would block you from getting the campus at least, though not from the GP. Another option though is for me to just take the walls down ASAP and then clear a space for your ships. Idk, whichever you prefer.

(June 9th, 2021, 20:50)ljubljana Wrote: OH wait, if you are moving to hit the capital's campus next turn, does that mean I should not move my two frigates up and start on its walls this turn? I was planning to do that, but I think it would block you. Another option though is for me to just take the walls down ASAP and then clear a space for your ships. Idk, whichever you prefer.

Move up and take the walls down. I can wait a few turns before pillaging the campus. Kaiser has now resorted to removing his improvements. He has a builder by Fort Miln that removed a quarry.

oof. That takes a charge though, doesn't it? He won't be able to do that for long, and if he's building builders just to destroy his own tile improvements instead of frigates it's not too terrible.

edit: plus builders are so slow that if we know where it is you can just pillage things just before it can reach them

I wonder if this is part of why TAD's capital and Official Visit are so suspiciously under-improved?

(June 9th, 2021, 20:59)ljubljana Wrote: oof. That takes a charge though, doesn't it? He won't be able to do that for long, and if he's building builders just to destroy his own tile improvements instead of frigates it's not too terrible.

edit: plus builders are so slow that if we know where it is you can just pillage things just before it can reach them

I wonder if this is part of why TAD's capital and Official Visit are so suspiciously under-improved?

My ships can also capture builders!

Turn 145-Vikings
A quick hit on a turn report, may add more later. My 2nd IZ finishes and I buy a second workshop....

Seven techs from Industrialism. I finish one next turn and might be able to pillage for a 2nd one. Not sure how much overflow I get. Every mine of theirs is going to be really important. Especially since Economics and Sanitation are un-boostable. The good thing here, I am only 1 tech behind CMF. He probably has skipped Currency, so he may be 2 techs ahead in this race but I think we can get there in time for war.

owwww

The defensive positioning up here is an absolute nightmare. With CMF's blockade, I can only hit the capital from ONE tile, and those are medieval walls and a garrisoned caravel which will two-shot my frigates with the city defenses helping out. I really don't know what to do here...I think we will have to take out the walls at Angiers first to open up a second tile (the far north tile is unusable right now as any frigate that steps there will die from the double city fire), then pour everything we have into this site for 10+ turns if we want to take it out. But Angiers can ALSO only be hit from one tile so that will take lots of time too. Thoughts?

edit: at least CMF's blockade is actually keeping the caravel from eating us if we attack the capital lol.

Quick question, I noticed you are researching Gunpowder, why? You should be researching Siege Tactics if Metal Casting is down to the boost.

Yeah, I just changed that. Gunpowder was last turn because we didn't know where Industrial was and I was hoping it was the one requiring Gunpowder (and not the one that it is, lol)

Can Kaiser actually build ships in his capital right now? With CMF on his harbor and a ship in his capital I think the answer might be no, right? If I have a ship firing at the capital, any ship he builds will have no legal space to move to...which is an okay argument for starting the 20-turn, one frigate at a time siege of the capital now and not worrying about that other city.

edit: ok here is one observation though: clearly I should at least let you pillage both districts there first to get that defense strength down.