As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Roland and Suboptimal Team Up

Turns 148:  Did I play a PBEM21 Shadow and forget to turn off the mods?

A sandstorm showed up last turn, decided to destroy the Great Wall, and then return inland for more destruction and not chase off the Russian ships.

Russia wouldn't be able to prevent the special session from passing, but we can't invoke it yet.

Turn 148

OK...PBEM 21 out of the way, let’s see what I have to do here besides….click end turn. Proof has been taken and renamed “Learn How to Fall”. Heh. My former capital has been renamed Adios Hermanos. At least Williams482 is sticking with the theme. Liang is now free and goes to Diamonds. Graceland and Fifty Ways are holding with Victor in the city.

Bruindane/Roland, you’ll likely lose Glenn Kamara next turn, and with it Petra and the Colosseum:

Not much else to cover here.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

PS - I did not get an option to call an emergency.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England

Turn 149:  My kingdom for a ship

I don't understand the Civ6 combat previews. The numbers never add up. Also isn't it supposed to tell you the expected damage somwhere?

there are numbers bellow the shown numbers and no it doesn't tell you anything about damage
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

The difference in combat strength (cs) is the key stat.

[Image: xlwhmd6108e21.png?width=559&format=png&a...752635a33b]
reddit post

All things otherwise equal, a military alliance providing +5 combat strength is worth ~20% more damage done and less taken.  Equal cs does 30 damage adjusted by a +/- 25% random factor.

Turn 149

Williams482 appears to be scouting with his courser, rather than making any attacks (yet).

That makes sense considering he doesn’t know the land around Diamonds or Obvious Child. I am somewhat surprised that he didn’t attempt to take and raze Glen Kamara. I move the slinger and warrior closer to Obvious Child.

Over on Big Island the Russian rampage continues. Didn’t get the screenshot but there’s a man-at-arms with a siege tower to the southeast of the city (along with some crossbows and a knight to the south/southwest). I attack the man-at-arms with the city attack and do 55 damage. There’s another one in the area (I believe) along with a bombard, but if I can slow that unit down I can slow the entire attack down. A pikeman will shortly complete at Graceland for some added (but likely futile) defense here.

I also realize that I’ve got two envoys and put them into Valetta. That gets me two era score and suzerainty. I also complete Siege Tactics in 4-5 turns. I should get enough Icon_Faith to buy Renaissance Walls at Graceland, which should grind the Russian advance to a halt (barring loyalty issues). The alternative would be to buy Medieval Walls at Obvious Child or Diamonds (or both if I accumulate enough Icon_Faith in time).

(July 20th, 2021, 17:46)suboptimal Wrote: I am somewhat surprised that he didn’t attempt to take and raze Glen Kamara.
I didn't show it last turn, but I left the southerly courser in red after 3 attacks, so it may not have had the odds to take Glen Kamara. Assuming it ran off to the coast, it will have 5? movement and out of range. Glen Kamara is going to be red-lined next turn, so it will be vulnerable if they position a unit one of the coast, but we'll see it.

Turn 150: Russian Embarked Units Move 6

Logistics, Chivalry, and Force Modernization slotted in.  No more boats or walls for a while.

We are niter limited, not sure if you have any to spare suboptimal, but I could upgrade to another musketeer or perhaps a cannon.  Logistics may catch those Russian coursers off-guard.

I pass on Irene of Athens (to Woden).  We don't need more Governors right now, and I didn't spot any promotions of immediate use, though considered black marketeer for Magnus.

Sink two ships to the west, a wounded caravel and a promoted frigate.  Didn't expect the caravel, but variance is a thing.