As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Roland and Suboptimal Team Up

(August 7th, 2021, 02:51)roland of gilead Wrote: will be very interested in how LUBIJANA ACHIEVED THIS..

Given that Woden had just played PBEM 18 with Phoenicia he was probably able to leverage that experience and help Ljubljana along the "correct" path.  I also agree with Bruindane.  Fleet battles are harsh and can quickly tilt to the side with more/better ships.  That's one reason why I advocated settling off the coast where possible - minimizes the fleet imbalance issue at a cost of getting landlocked.  However, that fell apart spectacularly once Russia got a foothold on Big Island.

Going after Russian would probably have been the better move although I think given their ship output that would have had the same result.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

Turn 155

I haven’t seen any “GG Archduke” messages in the tech thread so...how close is Archduke to being killed?

That close. You’ll note there’s only one screenshot of a city. Why? Because, well…

As for my own situation, Russia is finally pressing the attack at Fifty Ways. I shoot a bombard for 43 and attack a knight with the pike for 22. Confucius really can’t go anywhere here so he goes off to Diamonds so that I can scout out Adios Hermanos.

In the homeland I buy Medieval walls at Diamonds. The city will complete a knight next turn so I’ll have a decent land unit around. Over at Obvious Child the horse pasture has been pillaged. The courser remains in range of my pikeman, though, so I attack, giving 29 damage and taking 22 damage.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England

Turn 156: Playing China is like lurking with extra steps

Another Russian courser has landed to do some pillaging.  Going to build some more troops before I go for the capital liberation, hopefully there will be a window when world war commences.  I can liberate, not hold due to fleets being able to retake it, and I still can't propose the issue with the World Congress as they just don't like suboptimal.

Archduke is still around, in a city with no walls and no health, likely due to pillaging being the priority based on Norwegian gossip.  I read on this forum somewhere that the only thing worse than being eliminated, is not being eliminated, so my condolences.

Yeah, getting strung along can suck. My two eliminations (PBEMs 3 and 6) were before they juiced pillaging (that happened during PBEM 14) so the optimum play was to capture/eliminate as soon as possible since everything yielded 50. Now it's pillage out first, time permitting, and then taking the city, especially when you're Norway and get the Icon_Science/Icon_Culture yields for pillaging like you used to. Archduke is likely gone next turn.

Do we want to pack this in due to the turn times or wait it out and see what happens?

This gaME DESERVES A FINISH
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Interturn: There's a fair chunk of change to trade to Kaiser of Japan

Admiral Yi Sun-Sin on retirement grants an Ironclad and and 1 coal per turn.  I'm guessing the Ironclad is long since dead for coal to accumulate, but what's interesting here, is that TAD reached 10 coals a few turns before.  Where did it go?  Kaiser doesn't have any coal, and never built an ironclad.

I don't see any coal mines visible, but there's an interesting detail in Russia's city base combat strength.

England is still accumulating coal because the resource granted by admirals to maintain the unit they create continues to accumulate after the ship is dead (or upgraded).

I guess we missed the worst of Russia by getting our butts kicked before ironclads. lolrolleye

(August 15th, 2021, 12:05)suboptimal Wrote: England is still accumulating coal because the resource granted by admirals to maintain the unit they create continues to accumulate after the ship is dead (or upgraded). 

I guess we missed the worst of Russia by getting our butts kicked before ironclads.  lolrolleye

Masterstroke.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Turn 156

Open the save to some notifications. First off, Scott Bain is now...unaffiliated and a free agent:

Fifty ways is not dead yet, so I take my shots, killing a man-at-arms with the siege tower using the city attack and then atacking a knight (and earning a promotion) with the pike.

The knight at Diamonds is complete and I start a man-at-arms. Confucius goes down to the Holy Site at Adios and sees not much of anything. I move the knight adjacent to the district and will start pillaging next turn. That might net me enough Icon_Faith to get one of my cities Renaissance walls.