As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Roland and Suboptimal Team Up

So....the question becomes if the game is going to devolve into a concession, do we concede to Russia/Australia, Phoenicia/Norway or declare it a toss-up because we don't know the latter's situation? I'd be inclined to concede to Bruise, only because they've actually taken out an opponent and are on the verge of taking out a second.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

Perhaps we can use in-game metrics as a guide

If it is a time victory condition, assuming we are out of turns, then Team Bruise has the highest empire score of 1246, with second place at 1236.

Personal win condition: I've enjoyed playing the turn sets, and reading the reporting of each and every turn by the team.  I certainly chose the right team to lurk.

Bruindane, thanks for the complement...we definitely made it interesting even if we got our butts kicked in the end. If you're suggesting a concede to Bruise I'm on board with that.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England

Turn 162

How do I do this again? Hmmm...oh yeah…..

OK...Bruindane posted the WC results way back when. To review, +100%Icon_Production in Theater Squares, -5 CS to melee units.

Metal Casting has completed, start Rifling. William482 has rejected my peace deal and I’ve earned a Diplomatic Victory point. Look around, Anoch Sun (a Japanese city) is at 0 health and 0 walls and will fall (to Bruise) next turn. Graceland is pillaged but intact. On the home continent there’s some Russian activity:

I shift the pike northwest to the hill. If they come calling I want them coming from the west. I’ll shift the crossbow northeast next turn and put the pike on the iron. Confucius goes for a runabout to Al’s east:

Good to know. Looks like Russia is going for OC. The crossbows will have a difficult time with those knights, however.

Turn 163: Let's see if we can plunder a trade route

We pick up the euraka for sanitation due to the Great Library, and start the Colossus at Morelos.

I accept Phoenicia's declaration of friendship, and offer a research alliance in return.  Perhaps they needed a turn to discuss their long term strategy of not pillaging us.  If there is a long drawn out stalemate, I'd rather have Icon_Science than Icon_Gold.

Our goal is to liberate Al, but taking advantage of cheaper Icon_Culture buildings to push towards corps.  The spike in Russian ground troops doesn't help, and we'll need more combat advantages.

suboptimal, I can send 10 niter and Icon_Gold next turn if you have an upgrade need.

The niter will help with an upgrade at Obvious Child; we'll see on my next turn how their move-out develops.

Turn 163

Other than Confucius being sent back to Obvious Child it does not appear that there has been a change in Russian force deployment. Confucius wanders over to the desert between my borders and A’s and confirms that. I shift my units as planned.

Graceland has not been pinged in a few turns and I can repair my outer defenses in one turn. I do so (will cost 4Icon_Production) and the city will resume the trader it’s working on.

Bruindane, you didn’t send the gold & niter over. However, keep it for yourself – I don’t have enough Icon_Gold to upgrade anything and would need 20 niter to upgrade to anything useful.

Turn 164: A land war in Asia?

The research alliance with Phoenicia is signed. Gossip shows Phoenicia captured Anoch Sun and Norway built a Settler (for coal perhaps).

Covert no longer, but in prime position to pillage two trade routes.

Not sure where this is headed.  Going to bounce Victor between cities for the experience bumps.

Turn 164

Open the save to see that my alliance with Woden has expired and that I’ve got enough Icon_Faith to buy an apostle. Obvious Child has completed its caravel and starts a crossbowman. Current state of troops around Al:

Confucius moves west and finds a bombard and a siege tower west of the Campus. I’ve pinned those for reference. I also buy Renaissance walls at Obvious Child. That’ll make it a little more difficult to crack with the bombard and render the siege tower useless.

Graceland remains unscathed and continues building the trader.

Turn 165: An invitation to pillage

I got an honor guard of Phoenician ships.

There is a lot of troops tied up here, in bad terrain.  Perhaps cossacks will make an appearance.  That builder is an odd duck though.  No Russian fleets.

I'm building economic builds for now, on the odd hope that the game will drag into next year.  I might wish I built an extra knight or something, but it's not going to matter.