As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Woden and ljubljana like boats

Turn 178-Vikings cont.
I pillaged a lighthouse and harbor, 2 mines, a campus, a quarry, and a trade route. I also killed 2 crossbows. Here is the south by Australia...

I pinned where my ironclads will move next turn. They will cut off any Russian ships sailing up from the south and be ready to pillage around Fuji and the unknown city. If Australia has frigate in the area, my double promoted berserker might be toast as he is almost dead anyways. I pillaged the trade route because he is moving towards MBDF and if we didn't pillage it this turn, you would have had to pillage it before it made its way to the city and would have forgone an attack on the city. I am thinking of keeping MBDF to chop out a few ships and then let it revolt and raze it. There are 3 forests that can be turned into ships. 

Over by England...

I was sending the crossbow to guard the settler for coal city and came across a privateer. Hit it with the city. I am going to need a few ironclads on patrol to prevent Russia from pillaging my coast and gaining a bunch of gold. I chopped out an ironclad at Japan's capital this turn and will chop out 2 more in the coming turns. I also might send the next one out of Official Visit down to make a sweep before heading towards my southern mainland. 

In other news, I promoted Magnus to black marketer and started a frigate in Thor. With the seaport, I could chop out 4 or 5 fleet frigates before Refining finishes. That would be a decent battleship group. I think spending the gold will be a good investment. Once Refining and Combined Arms are finished, Press Gangs will be useless so it might be better to get out as many ships as I can before that. No telling where International Waters and Cold War are located. The boost to Cold War is Nuclear Fission and that is boosted with a Great Scientist. All that will be hard to boost in a regular game, harder with a shuffled game.

Edit: Also, Russia pillaged one of my niter mines. I have a builder to fix it but we are going to have to see what he does before I fix it. I also expect Roland to try and pillage my niter mine at the former Japanese city. I have an ironclad out next turn there that will protect it. Niter is going to be a limiting factor getting frigates out, anotehr reason for the seaport in the city where Magnus is located. Each fleet will cost 8 niter.

It looks like I will only have one tile to attack the city from this turn...do you still think that's worth doing? I will only do about 50 damage to the walls, and would then take a hit from the city center, but at least I would start getting the health down and prevent them from buying Renaissance Walls. I am also leaning towards moving the Dreadnought down, which can get to the city on the turn after this one assuming no Russian ships show up to cut it off.

IC positioning for next turn looks good, that should keep our attack safe unless he is making more ships at Imperator Nikolai.

I am still skeptical of the seaport plan, there is not much point in making more frigates if we won't have the gold to upgrade them IMO. Right now we need every penny we can get for battleship and destroyer upgrades, and are already on course to have more ships than we will be able to upgrade. Better to get as many modern ships as possible than to get more Renaissance ships now that will stay Renaissance ships when the time comes to confront Russia.

(November 26th, 2021, 23:04)ljubljana Wrote: It looks like I will only have one tile to attack the city from this turn...do you still think that's worth doing? I will only do about 50 damage to the walls, and would then take a hit from the city center, but at least I would start getting the health down and prevent them from buying Renaissance Walls. I am also leaning towards moving the Dreadnought down, which can get to the city on the turn after this one assuming no Russian ships show up to cut it off.

Probably. He may have a field cannon some where and shooting with a 65 CS but you should survive a couple of city attacks. If you want to wait a turns, go for it. It will take 3 turns to get a berserker over to pillage the last lumbermill and be ready to take the city anyways.

I doubt he has a field cannon, the frigate in the yellow is in the yellow because it took one shot from an Australian city while sieging it down. That damage looks much more like an unpromoted frigate shot to me. I am pretty glad he retreated this turn tbh, as I think we should spend the next few turns repositioning and making sure we can take the city and may end up in a poor position to push on his navy.

(November 26th, 2021, 23:15)ljubljana Wrote: I doubt he has a field cannon, the frigate in the yellow is in the yellow because it took one shot from an Australian city while sieging it down. That damage looks much more like an unpromoted frigate shot to me. I am pretty glad he retreated this turn tbh, as I think we should spend the next few turns repositioning and making sure we can take the city and may end up in a poor position to push on his navy.

He does have the tech, as he has been in that column of techs for a while and no way he has Industrialism. I have actually been surprised he hasn't upgrade one of the crossbows yet (I just killed 2 of them). Lord knows, Russia has the gold. Anyways, I expect him to figure this out anytime now, so I always expect him to get one out some time soon. Might not have it yet, but should have one any turn now, especially with the double production. Then again, he may be focusing on ships.

Right, yeah, seems likely. I have been a bit confused about what he has been building with that production...if it were ships, MBDF probably would have built one by now, and his milpower has been very stagnant. I guess the most likely answer is wall upgrades?

Same question applies to Russia, btw. They still have not shown a beaker spike from universities yet, so what could it be? Are they about to finish a bunch of old wonders to get out of a dark age or something like that?

(November 26th, 2021, 23:21)ljubljana Wrote: Right, yeah, seems likely. I have been a bit confused about what he has been building with that production...if it were ships, MBDF probably would have built one by now, and his milpower has been very stagnant. I guess the most likely answer is wall upgrades?

Same question applies to Russia, btw. They still have not shown a beaker spike from universities yet, so what could it be? Are they about to finish a bunch of old wonders to get out of a dark age or something like that?

Given Russia's GS points (22 per turn), I think he is maxed out with universities. Looked in the save and he does have a few campuses with either no library or no university. Also looks like he placed a few campuses on the southern island where Oracle Bones is located.

(November 26th, 2021, 23:04)ljubljana Wrote: It looks like I will only have one tile to attack the city from this turn...do you still think that's worth doing? I will only do about 50 damage to the walls, and would then take a hit from the city center, but at least I would start getting the health down and prevent them from buying Renaissance Walls. I am also leaning towards moving the Dreadnought down, which can get to the city on the turn after this one assuming no Russian ships show up to cut it off.

Out of curiosity, why can you only hit it with 1 frigate this turn? You should be able to move both Frigates into shooting position and hit the city.

lol i'm stupid, i thought your ss indicated that your IC had ended its turn on the harbor. Sorry about that! Don't make Civ posts when mildly intoxicated from thanksgiving dinner, kids lol

anyways yes, that means we have a real decision to make about whether or not to pursue Australia. I still think we should probably wait for the Golden Age, which would also give me time to regroup and move the MBDTF group back up to the Australian front, but I can be swayed on this if you would like to attempt to do so smile

(November 27th, 2021, 00:11)ljubljana Wrote: lol i'm stupid, i thought your ss indicated that your IC had ended its turn on the harbor. Sorry about that! Don't make Civ posts when mildly intoxicated from thanksgiving dinner, kids lol

anyways yes, that means we have a real decision to make about whether or not to pursue Australia. I still think we should probably wait for the Golden Age, which would also give me time to regroup and move the MBDTF group back up to the Australian front, but I can be swayed on this if you would like to attempt to do so smile

Yes, I think waiting until the golden age to pursue the Australian fleet is a good idea. No need to press it right now. Better to regroup and be able to chase him down with the extra movement. I think longer term, our goal should be to push on his northern coast. Lots of good tiles to pillage and we should make it a priority to take out Australia and Japan.