As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Woden and ljubljana like boats

Turn 190 - Phoenicia

Well, I ended up bailing on that plan after my IC fleet revealed this:

A second GW, so killing this one is...not useless, since it means they would at least have no scouts on this side of Runic, but not as impactful as I hoped. What pushed me over the edge was the fact that my IC fleet would be automatically scouted by the other GW, and I noticed that a Russian melee ship could actually sail around Runic to the tile between the two GW and hit me next turn, which could kill the IC in conjunction with the city strike. So my IC scurried back 3SW with its iron-plated tail between its legs. At least there it shouldn't be scouted unless there really is a huge wave of Russian ships to our north. I also dropped the other IC fleet from the south into Linear B juuust in case the defense strength gave away that something was amiss.

I think this deploy is a bit better than some of the other ones I've put up lately. That gap between the caravels and the frigates means no frigate sniping from that angle - Russian privateers would have to go all the way around the weakened caravel to find any frigates. They could still pick off the single caravel if they have ships in range, which is the main flaw (it didn't have the MP to get any closer), but that would cost at least 2 privateers and is hardly a slam-dunk for them.

You can see that I wasn't too brave about going for the Cossack, since I couldn't kill it and I was nervous that the fleet caravel + field cannon could kill my double-promoted Elizabeth Bonaventure (70-health caravel fleet, which is still kicking from way back at the start of the TAD war!) if I left it outside the GA range. But our horsey friend might be as good as displaced anyways with the one good hit I got, as it will be much deader if sticks around until next turn. I also did 28 damage to Rodeo and highrolled Illmatic to zero out the health. Looking around, it looks like Illmatic and all the other visible Australian cities have just bare campuses, no libraries or unis or anything, so maybe it won't be a disaster after all if we take the city (post-Russian Refining) and give our foes one science pillage.

We also may have a, uh, uniquely compelling reason to not expect too strong a counterattack on this turn because:

Their MA has lapsed! Let's see how long it takes them to get it renewed. If we are very lucky, maybe roland will not notice the renewal bug (since they might not be planning to hit any units this turn) and we will get a full round of no +5 CS for Russia smile

More miscellany: I feel comfortable saying that Russia has definitively messed up at Svetlana/Oracle Bones:

Liang is way too late to save this city, as she has been dawdling in doomed Runic/Hieratic/etc. for the longest time. I think we are about to see the rarest of all MP Civ6 occurrences: a free city that stands on its own feet loyalty-wise (since it will get a 10-point boost from independence to offset the -1.9 loyalty from population). It is also sufficiently out of the way that I don't think it will be conquered for some while. Could we actually see a free city survive to the end of the game?

...I could capture a barb camp next turn! Probably not worth it though, as this sword will make an invaluable anti-privateer scout once it joins the rest of the fleet. Its trek has led it through frigid Indonesian wilderness, past terrifying close encounters with Russian knights, and now almost all the way back to Phoenician-born Leif Erickson. When they compare maps, they will rediscover that the world is round smile

How bad do you think my war weariness is, if you had to guess? I admit I have not checked it directly in kind of a while. But I haven't lost that many units, really, other than at the Battle of (W)oden that will live rent-free in my head for the rest of forever. And most of my deaths have been at home, too, which significantly mitigates the penalty...

...oh eek lol

I beg you for all your extra luxes (and diplo favor), offering up a meager 200 gold in exchange:

And then I get a little more desperate than that:

I saw that you had an extra dye, so I'm trying to trade my one dye to suboptimal so I can beg you for that, too lol. It would be worth more to Bruindane, who has the larger empire, but China has been rejecting my lux deals of late, so I figured maybe sub would feel more like being nice to me this time...

Speaking of diplo favor, you will notice that Russia got a bunch last turn too - apparently an emergency against them, presumably called ages ago by China/Indonesia, ended on the same turn as yours. So we are not out in front of that race as Australia will get a big favor gift next turn, too, and has crazy high favor income for some reason.

I actually think we should try to buy some of China and Indonesia's favor off of them. Maybe you could ship them some luxes for their diplo favor? If they aren't going to use it to help us, maybe they will give it to us so we can help ourselves. If I could, I would trade Anoch Sun to China for their 220 diplo favor. And...I actually could trade 8 hammer per turn Nsibidi to China for all their favor... That might be a good move if it weren't so cheesy, some of the resolutions (100% hammer discount on military!) are crazy impactful.

There is also one more trick we can pull: on the last turn before the WC, remind me to gift half my favor back to you. It is worth more in terms of votes if evenly divided between us than if one person hoards it all and ends up spending 70 or 80 favor for one marginal vote. That could make the difference if our opponents decline to do so.

edit: dare me to try to sneak that sword into He Was My Brother? mischief

edit2: Wait, is WC after this turn or next turn? If it is after this turn, please reject my diplo favor deal as it will cost us votes. If it's after next turn, I can give you the favor back next turn and you will at least save 26 from not having to pay your deficit.

World Congress appears to be after next turn. I can probably take Runic and liberate it to you for another 100 diplo favor this turn and still have a decent front line. I would then send it to you if it to see if it we can save the -29 but not sure since it looks like it is applies at the start of the turn. Yes, there was a Russian emergency the same time as mine. Remember me bringing up the discussion on a teammate being able to declare war on the other team, even if 1 member from each team had a friendship. It ended with both Russia and I having emergencies but neither of us voted for each others emergency. Let's hope they don't consider splitting the favor up and have Australia keep it all. We will need to figure out how many votes we can get and split it so we don't get a situation where we each have half the favor for an extra vote.

Edit: It looks like Cuneiform is maxed out on war wariness, as a city can only have as much war wariness as it needs for luxuries, i.e. it needs 7 amenities to be 0 happiness and has 7 war wariness.

Yeah, luckily WW can't get worse in Cuneiform. And really, rebel units may not be so bad for us there as they will waste some of my pillages and slow Russia's advance. Fort Lakton is going crazy though:

The game still remembers that Geneva used to be a CS, too, as it is at -5/4. I guess the higher cap applies to all conquered cities, not just those under occupation...

As for liberating Runic, it is likely worth one or two extra votes. I think it's worth it, but only if we are sure you are not going to take a first strike by doing so.

Luckily, Japan has less than 10 turns to live so Fort Lakton's WW will disappear or at least drop down to the luxury requirement level.

As for Runic, I can take it and still have a decent line of ironclads. Actually, this will be a good turn to let my stragglers catch up since I really don't want to head into the open east of Runic without a decent formation.

On another note, we have caught up to Team Suboptimal/Bruindane. Only a few more posts and we will exceed their post count.

Unfortunately, it looks like the higher cap applies forever, regardless of whether you are still at war with the civ you take the city from, or even whether that civ still exists. Geneva still remembers the bitterness of its occupation from all the way back in BC years...

Yeah, I have been following that too re suboptimal and Bruindane. Just need to find 5 more extraneous comments to make... Surely Russia will be quaking in their boots at our game-leading loquaciousness lol

(December 22nd, 2021, 05:48)thrawn Wrote: Nice move using the sight 3 caravel to get vision for the Dreadnought.

smile

Apparently an IC works just as well for this...I kind of thought our ICs only had 3 sight because they were upgraded caravels, but no, apparently it is a property of the base unit. Not sure I really get the logic behind that, but okay...

I should have more pearls around England/Japan that I can repair. Also, there is citrus at the Japanese city I am currently attacking and I do have a builder in the area. I will probably take the city in 3 or 4 turns, once my berserkers heal and I can pillage the tiles. I have more Jade but it is on the coast and not sure if it is worth improving only to have Russia pillage it.

Edit: I also think tehre is more cotton somewhere but don't remember off hand.

Yeah, I don't think it's worth repairing anywhere that Russia will just disconnect again. It only forestalls the inevitable, and makes them even richer. I appreciate the offer, though.

edit: Roland's turn is in the books, and I did not see any discussion in their thread. Do I dare to dream that they have not noticed the MA is gone?

I am really crossing my fingers that we can avoid any of the really game-breaking WC resolutions... Mercenary Companies in particular has no good outcomes for us, as the other players are sure to vote for -50% unit cost for something, and Russia has us beat in faith, gold, and production income. If I were Russia, I would vote for -50% gold cost and just buy 10 battleships. I guess production is our best bet, but it is still quite bad for us as it would badly undermine the Australian front. Please just let it not appear, it is so dumb...

edit: I am a bit surprised actually that so many of my cities are in unrest or revolt status and no rebels have spawned. Kind of a shame, really, as not only would they slow Russia down but they would make great targets for you to farm for LoB on your battleships...

One more thing I noticed - it looks like your IC in Australia can form a wall directly in front of my caravels this turn. If I can incorporate them into the defensive line this turn, it might free me up to go after the Cossack (or whatever is on the iron) a bit harder this time.

Turn 190-Vikings start
I was able to open the save shorty after it was passed but had no time to play or post. No much time left for me to play, so unless you post something in the next half hour, I am going to go with what I think best. Starting near Australia...

Russia's Cossack has left the iron mine and might be heading over to fight over the coal mine at TMMLP. I am thinking the ironclad in front of the city center should go and pillage it. The others are too far away. I should be able to make a decent east-west line right off the tip of the land. Your ships should be fairly protected. I could angle it SW to NE but regardless of what I do, my 4th ironclad will have to leave a single tile gap there as he doesn't have the movement to fill in the line. 

Over by your empire...

I selected the farthest back Ironclad and he can make it to the gap between Runic and Cuneiform. I should be able to get all my ironclads to the front. The biggest problem now is that my GA is trailing a little and won't be able to cover the front ironclads. Depending on where he is positioned, he might be able to make a first strike with his melee ships but they would probably be without ranged support, as I would leave them behind to upgrade. He has to be getting close and he retook Buyniy and it will rebel in 3 turns. Could be anytime between next turn and 3 turns. My best estimate is 2 turns but not sure when he pillaged the IZ.  All we know for sure is he doesn't have a new tech this turn.

World Congress timer says next Session in 2 turns.

Edit: quick note on pillaging the mine, it won't shave a turn off of Combined Arms but I am going to switch any city with a campus in Japan/England over to a project to see if I can shave a turn off when combined with the pillage. Maybe even Wodin and Frigg for a turn or 2.