As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Bug Reports!

1. Yes, Magic weapons should give +1 to hit if you haven't got them already.
2. It seems the retort was changed to apply the cost reduction to the total maintenance you pay for creatures instead of each unit individually. This is different from the dos version where it reduced the cost of each unit but with rounding rules different from any other effect in the game.

(January 3rd, 2023, 16:55)Seravy Wrote: 1. Yes, Magic weapons should give +1 to hit if you haven't got them already.
2. It seems the retort was changed to apply the cost reduction to the total maintenance you pay for creatures instead of each unit individually. This is different from the dos version where it reduced the cost of each unit but with rounding rules different from any other effect in the game.

1. Yeah, but I've had magic weapons and I felt that the to-hit was higher that it should have been. Didn't calculate hard enough though, will dbl check when I get back to the game...
2. I see. That's OK, as long as the reduction actually happens, I wasn't sure if it did.

(November 27th, 2022, 20:47)Seravy Wrote:
(October 26th, 2022, 12:29)Desertfox Wrote: Playing Caster of Magic for windows version 1.04.06
The manual for crack's call says: "Units affected by this spell become Buried for the rest of the combat : they are unable to move or attack, take irrecoverable damage from all attacks and are irrecoverably destroyed when their side does not win the battle."
I attacked a node containing 5 hydras, which have regeneration. I attack with 9 draconian wizards. I cast a bunch of crack's calls which lead to 2 hydras being buried. Using ranged attacks I killed those two hydras. I flew around with my wizards until the message popped "all units retreat exhausted" (not just the green "flee" button).
However, when I F1-mouse the map afterward, there are still 5 hydras there.
So I killed two hydras with 100% irrecoverable damage yet the hydras came back after combat.
Is this working as intended? Or do I just misunderstand "irrecoverable damage"?

I checked the source code but it should convert the incoming damage to irrecoverable.
However, if you did the ranged damage BEFORE the unit was buried, that damage was not irrecoverable.
Then, because the Hydras did win the battle (you retreated), the "are irrecoverably destroyed when their side does not win the battle." part had no effect. So assuming the total normal damage was higher than the irrecoverable damage, the Hydras could regenerate.

However if you did cast the spell first and used ranged attacks afterwards and the Hydras still regenerated, that is a bug. In that case, let me know and please post the save file so I can reproduce it.

I did cast crack's call first and if successful, followed it up with ranged damage until the hydra died. So in theory, it should have gotten 100% irrecoverable damage.
The save game is no longer available due to starting new games, sorry.

(January 1st, 2023, 18:39)Seravy Wrote: B132. As far as I remember this exists because flying boats enable transported units to participate in the battle the same way wind walking heroes do. Which requires tiles they can actually stand/move on.
Correct me if I'm wrong but if that's the case, it's necessary.

In these cases, any non-flying boat should probably have an altered starting position outside the cloud area though.

Simple, intuitive rules that are easy to understand would be more user friendly. Simple rule I propose: Galley and other boats also provide ground platform for walking units to fight on. (Hence no surprise that when they start flying they suddenly grow in size). This would also help the AI since I tend to massacre them on water where they cannot fight with land units on boats.

(November 27th, 2022, 21:57)Seravy Wrote: B124. This is a feature request, not a bug report. The DOS version didn't support more than 2 prerequisite buildings which were the Cathedral and the Armorer's Guild. It is possible to add the Stables now if necessary, maybe start a poll on this?

B128. Neither a bug nor spell specific. It's a global rule, irrecoverable damage is a combat only feature.

B124. Yes. Please start a poll on this.

B128. OK, but please explain it somewhere in the game. Not only in the User manual that few people read and tend to contain many errors.

(January 13th, 2023, 16:56)WhiteMage Wrote:
(November 27th, 2022, 21:57)Seravy Wrote: B124. This is a feature request, not a bug report. The DOS version didn't support more than 2 prerequisite buildings which were the Cathedral and the Armorer's Guild. It is possible to add the Stables now if necessary, maybe start a poll on this?

B124. Yes. Please start a poll on this.

Apprentices are the only unit that requires 3 buildings:
[62]
Name=Apprentices

Building1=8
Building2=16
Building3=13

It is possible, e.g. for [113] Paladins, to add the line "Building3=9" in UNITS.INI for Stables as a third prerequisite, for example.

Edit: Elven Lords sit on horses ...  popcorn

Encountered a bug with Fairy Ring summoning from a banished wizard.  On the turn after banished... I guess the summoning circle doesn't exist -- or still points to the city I captured.  If the city has empty space -- then I end up with both my forces -- and new enemy summons in my city.  I assume this is bad... I hope I can work around this by keeping the city full.  Let me know if you need the save file.

Attached save file:  capture the neighboring city with torin + sky drakes.   I guess maybe summoning circle is originally there.  Then next turn.  Enemy fairy ring summons will spawn in Tarsus which was the banished capital.

Attached Files
.zip   3.zip (Size: 760.26 KB / Downloads: 2)

(January 14th, 2023, 12:38)mshih Wrote: Encountered a bug with Fairy Ring summoning from a banished wizard.  On the turn after banished... I guess the summoning circle doesn't exist -- or still points to the city I captured.  If the city has empty space -- then I end up with both my forces -- and new enemy summons in my city.  I assume this is bad... I hope I can work around this by keeping the city full.  Let me know if you need the save file.

Attached save file:  capture the neighboring city with torin + sky drakes.   I guess maybe summoning circle is originally there.  Then next turn.  Enemy fairy ring summons will spawn in Tarsus which was the banished capital.

Confirmed, this will be fixed in the next update.

Crack's Call vs Hydras : confirmed.
The code to turn the damage irrecoverable was accidentally placed in the debug section so it never had an effect unless god mode was enabled. This will be fixed in this update.

I try to create arcane unit enchantment ability (in hope to avoid it castable by realm fantastic creature) for unit to grant endurance in combat by using new spell slot for this ability as arcane and found that as long as this ability remain arcane the spell could not trigger in combat (no animation, no enchantment granted) but would function normally if I change to any other realm except arcane. I also notice that I could not change animation to custom one too (all of them using generic animation for each realms) too so likely the case coming from fact that arcane has no set for generic unit enchantment trigger animation. So I report here and hope it would be fixed in future version.