As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[pb72 spoilers]: the esteemed gentleman's literature and book club

Rest in peace, turn pace. I knew this was going to happen once someone was invaded.

At least Bing played a double.
Playing: PB74
Played: PB58 - PB59 - PB62 - PB66 - PB67
Dedlurked: PB56 (Amicalola) - PB72 (Greenline)
Maps: PB60 - PB61 - PB63 - PB68 - PB70 - PB73 - PB76

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

sitrep: my assumption was wrong and I am a little miffed.

So I saw on PBSpy that Xist had done some whips, but not a ton. Looks like a lot of that was spite whipping Mediolanum down to size 1. He also popped a Golden Age.

So what are the odds of a fresh 12 strength mounted unit against a Praet in a weakly defended border city? Only 31%! Now I am actually onboard the nerf Rome train going on in the CtH thread, what the fuck. A cuir is only a tiny bit stronger than a Phract, it shouldn't be getting this bad odds against a dinky 45h ancient age unit.

Still, there was nothing to do but press onward:

Lost 2 phracts and killed the other praets to capture the city. Came with a granary and a market and a heap of gold, so it was at least worth the blood.

Moving the other Phracts forward revealed this mini stack (plus an extra unit you can see killed in the combat log), which I decided to go forward and attack as well, having 70% odds or greater. I lost one phract on a bad dice roll and wiped the rest...

Revealing this bunch of reinforcements. From what I have seen of Xist's land pre war this is his main mobile army and he would be down to garrisons without it. I decided to move the rest of my healthy phracts on the hill rather than letting my surviving phract be picked off - I do not think he has enough to take out the stack on the offense. Unfortunately it looks like Xist is putting his army in my direction rather than Aetryn's. Not much I can do about that though.

I am feeling less sanguine about prospects to push further. Xist has a large strategic depth and Praets on hills are a much bigger pain in the ass then I realized. Put them down to 7 str!

But hey, at least we grabbed a city, and we'll take Arpinium next turn.

Maybe I should go for the original plan. Finish capturing a couple of cities from Xist, get peace, then tech to cannons, and come back with the unkilleable siege stack.

t146:

Xist spite whipped Arpinium down to size one and left it empty, so I captured it. I don't really mind the spite whipping - the city kept its granary, and the PRO trade routes mean it will generate a significant profit as soon as it comes out of revolt.

I shuffled the injured phracts to heal and moved all my uninjured ones forward. Taking Neapolis by phracts alone will be ugly. Is this a situation to wait for a bit of seige? I have one suicide cat built and more queued. Probably should have had them ready earlier, but alas. Or should I just do some pillaging?

The terrain makes it really difficult to push forward with 2 movers to try and threaten the backlines.

Regarding Mediolanum; A hill-city with 40% culture and fully fortified defenders isn't really lightly defended. Sure, it had few defenders, but that's something else. Spite-whipping smells very much of Superdeath. Battling his mobile praetorians in the hills outside Neapolis would be in our favor; he's better off stuffing them as city defenders.

With Aetryn joining in already, I wouldn't take immediate peace, but rather eat his western flank while trying to push down the middle.

One trick I've forgotten to mention is to spend a turn's worth of commerce on espionage points; it can be enough to get city vision, especially if any cities share our state religion.

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

(August 15th, 2023, 13:38)greenline Wrote:

I shuffled the injured phracts to heal and moved all my uninjured ones forward. Taking Neapolis by phracts alone will be ugly. Is this a situation to wait for a bit of seige? I have one suicide cat built and more queued. Probably should have had them ready earlier, but alas. Or should I just do some pillaging?

Crossposted. Looks like the main invasion is going strong! This is a case where you might be better off having a medium force pillaging the roads out of Neapolis while waiting for catapults, and the other forces take his other cities. Do we even have catapults on the way?

1 catapult so far. I should probably go and whip a couple extra. I just got wines in and silks will come a turn later, so we have more of a happy buffer (all the temples and markets I built were needed after all!)

what in the world is happening in bingland where he needs all these reloads and rule things despite not being at war?  Iiam

t147: not much to report. I moved a bunch of phracts forward and pillaged one of xist's iron mines. Next I will move the stack on the hills and cut the roads. Catapults begin to trickle in. Xist continues to do very little whipping. I think Aetryn took and razed a city off him - my shrine went down by 1gpt. Strange...

Xist evacuated this city, so I will probably just take it. But imagine the pain if he had been whipping Praets in every sad little hill city like this.

The good news: cumae and the buddhist holy city at least seem to be on flat ground, so after Neapolis things should be a bit easier.