As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Caster of Magic II Bug Reports!

Hi, I am getting almost to a 75 percent chance to infinitely loop when I finish a lair/Node (But mostly node) combat, when I check the debug logs, This is the message I often get just before the  infinite loop.

------------------------------------------
Target chosen :Kraken, priority = 6160
------------------------------------------
=============================
Selecting attack type
Melee available, priority =6160
AI Melee attack request
UI : start melee attack animation
Treasure found by Sss'ra
Number of custom items in range :0
Chance of custom item :0%

Is there any way to disable custom item generation?

Also, I like to add that I used a number of custom spells. The custom spells work fine in combat and I get zero looping errors fighting/defeating neutral cities. So when I disabled custom spells, and tried a new game, I could get generated items normally. Could the custom spells be causing some kind of infinite looping during the item generation ? Like example adding a new custom Spell Charges onto a randomly generated item causes it to go heywire?

Quote:Is there any way to disable custom item generation?

No, but the game should generate a random item if custom items are not available for any reason.
(Most commonly, too low or too high budget, or all items already found by the players)

It most likely freezes while trying to generate the random item.
Random items don't use spell charges, so they can't be related to custom spells.

I suspect the problem might be the treasure budget for the item being too high so it fails to generate one but even for that there should be a failsafe of giving up and accepting whatever item is rolled on the 5000th try even if it's too cheap.

I will need the mod and the save file to find what's the problem.

(August 17th, 2023, 10:55)Seravy Wrote:
Quote:Is there any way to disable custom item generation?

I will need the mod and the save file to find what's the problem.

Calling it a mod is an exaggeration. I had just been fiddling around trying to understand the mod scripting language. Basically, I took bits and pieces from the Warlords mod, went through a lot of the spells and units and brought them over to a vanilla version of Caster of Magic, 1 spell and unit at a time by scouring through the various .ini and .CAS files, copying/modding/pasting their respective codings, while testing them in game. This helped me a lot in understanding the scripting part which further stoked me into designing/modding my own spells/units. Thankfully, that is still at the drawing board stage which I only did the documentation and spreadsheets and not done the actual full code implementation. (Heavens know what the heck else can go wrong once I added all that.)

That being said, I attached the Data files, with 2 save games. 1st save game is a newly generated game at turn 1, while the 2nd save game has a Kraken unit sitting just outside a nature node. Defeating the nature node with God Mode on and you will notice that the infinite looping starts right at the moment when the last enemy mob was killed.

I used the default treasure loot settings. But made a few minor adjustments like allowing the player to start with all 6 retorts.

Since it is too big to set as an attachment, I left a google drive link below.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UjC15kB...sp=sharing

It's freezing while trying to generate a vial.
You are playing with the "Undeveloped Start" option, which subtracts a constant value from the turn count to compensate for the delay in game progress.
The save file is turn 2, but with the option enabled, the "effective" turn count the game mechanics look at is -22 instead.
Vials are set to be available between turn 0 and 9999 in the INI file so none of them are available.

I will fix the heroabil.ini file to have a negative number for VialMin instead of zero on the next update, until then you can fix the problem by doing the same.

(August 17th, 2023, 23:56)Seravy Wrote: It's freezing while trying to generate a vial.
You are playing with the "Undeveloped Start" option, which subtracts a constant value from the turn count to compensate for the delay in game progress.
The save file is turn 2, but with the option enabled, the "effective" turn count the game mechanics look at is -22 instead.
Vials are set to be available between turn 0 and 9999 in the INI file so none of them are available.

I will fix the heroabil.ini file to have a negative number for VialMin instead of zero on the next update, until then you can fix the problem by doing the same.

Thank you very much! I learnt something new today. Really appreciate it.  jive

Hi, I am getting an unusual Crash to Desktop. Basically, clicking to enter to see what Spells you are researching/researched causes it to crash if you scroll through them all the way to the end. Unsure what is the problem going on. (Refer to the google drive linked image below).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xco-QHt...sp=sharing

This occurs at the start of a fresh new game (modded), on the very first turn. Attached is the Game Mods with the save files. The 1st save file is the one in question.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HtJ0-wK...sp=sharing

Edit Scratch that, things just went from bad to worse, now it full on crashes the moment I press 'end turn' on turn 1, after pressing patrol on all units.
It just crashes to desktop without giving me any possible crash history. The logs were not helpful too. The save file and mod is attached for your reference.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14E2MDP_...sp=sharing

CoM v1.05.01 (GOG)

The ingame description for Animate Ammo says:

ANIMATE AMMO
Chaos Common - Combat Instant
Target: ranged normal enemy unit
Casting Cost: 5 mana
Causes the ammunition of the targeted unit to be possessed by the powers of Chaos, making it refuse to hit your units.
Such ammo becomes unusable, thus the targeted unit loses its ability to attack at range.
Each ammo endowed with chaotic power this way increases the caster's ability to use magic in the battle by one for that combat.
This spell can only target units whose base type is a non-hero normal unit.

The relevant section in Data\MODDING.INI:

; Animate Ammo can target heroes?
AnimateAmmoHeroes=0
; Animate Ammo can target summoned creatures?
AnimateAmmoFantastic=0
; Animate Ammo affects magical ranged attacks?
AnimateAmmoMagicalRanged=1
; Allow Animate Ammo to give casting skill to the user?
; Disabling this reverts the spell to the old behavior of Warp Wood
AnimateAmmoGainSkill=1

Observed behavior:

First round of combat.
Enemy Steam Cannon has 9 (out of 10) ammo.
Friendly hero spellcaster has 35 (out of 35) MP.
Hero casts Animate Ammo on Steam Cannon.
Steam Cannon has 0 ammo.
Hero has 30 MP.

Expected behavior:

Hero should have 39 MP ?

Quote:This occurs at the start of a fresh new game (modded), on the very first turn. Attached is the Game Mods with the save files. The 1st save file is the one in question.

Confirmed. It's crashing on trying to display the spell description for a spell.
Spell 217 has 4 lines of text but the game can only display 3 lines.

I can also confirm the text is longer than the original, so it's not a bug.

Edit : I'll add a warning about this to Desc.INI in the next update.

Quote:First round of combat.
Enemy Steam Cannon has 9 (out of 10) ammo.
Friendly hero spellcaster has 35 (out of 35) MP.
Hero casts Animate Ammo on Steam Cannon.
Steam Cannon has 0 ammo.
Hero has 30 MP.

Expected behavior:

Hero should have 39 MP ?

Confirmed. The spell adds MaxMP to units instead of MP which is unless. This will be fixed in the next update.

For the turn roll-over, when you research a new spell, the spell selection screen seem to pop up first, and your units are then moved invisibly in the background. So
* You can't see your units move
* If you have many units on move order, then the research screen is unresponsive for quite a long time. For no good reason, obviously, since the time is spent animating unit movement you can't see.

Also, there seem to be no pause at the screen where you can see what you just researched. I think that one is supposed to wait until you click it - that would be the only thing making sense.