As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[pb72 spoilers]: the esteemed gentleman's literature and book club

(August 30th, 2023, 12:53)greenline Wrote:
(August 30th, 2023, 12:48)Tarkeel Wrote: Those two corps work great together; MinInc is probably more important for us though. And they are both better than SoL. Do we have a Wall Street city? Not sure if pairing it shrine is worth it here.

We can put WallSt in Creation, which has the shrine. Only other National Wonder there is Moai, although we need a couple more banks. MinInc sounds like the more important one, so what tech do we need for that?

I meant that WallStreet might be better in a city with more natural commerce, such as the capital.

All corps need the Corporation tech to found; MinInc needs Railroads and CreCon should be on Steel I think? Not sure which of the two will do us best; will calculate from your latest city screenshot.

E: Actually, much easier to just check the Corp screen ingame.
Playing: PB74
Played: PB58 - PB59 - PB62 - PB66 - PB67
Dedlurked: PB56 (Amicalola) - PB72 (Greenline)
Maps: PB60 - PB61 - PB63 - PB68 - PB70 - PB73 - PB76

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Here's a comparison of the two cities on this turn:

Going for steel next seems like the plan. We'll be closer to Railroad, and we'll have cannons available for defense. Corporation is the tech I want to grab last, so as not to obsolete all the castles until necessary.

At current resource leves, corps will net us:
CreCon: 7 hammers and 41 culture
MinInc: 11 hammers
Cereal: 8 food
Sushi: 2 food and 9 culture

(this really isn't the mapscript for Sushi)
CreCon is available at SteamPower, so slightly before MinInc. Is 4 hammers worth 41 culture?

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

(August 30th, 2023, 13:19)greenline Wrote: Going for steel next seems like the plan. We'll be closer to Railroad, and we'll have cannons available for defense. Corporation is the tech I want to grab last, so as not to obsolete all the castles until necessary.

I'd hold off on building more castles for exactly that reason. They're great and all, but have a very limited shelflife now.

E: Regarding WallStreet; Creation will probably have more value due to our breakeven rate, and can build it faster, but Atlas is much more defensible.

The culture from CreCon would only really be valuable in a couple of border crumple zones near Aetryn, unless we want to go for culture (will be difficult without Sistine). But having the hammers online sooner would be nice. I'll put steel as the next tech.

Agree with those plans. Overall, I think we're in a rather good spot right now.

One last thing, how about mapping out that nasty black blob in the north? Aetryn would probably prefer if we built an explorer for it instead of using a phract.

(August 30th, 2023, 13:55)Tarkeel Wrote: Agree with those plans. Overall, I think we're in a rather good spot right now.

One last thing, how about mapping out that nasty black blob in the north? Aetryn would probably prefer if we built an explorer for it instead of using a phract.

Can do. I swapped a city to pop out a one turn scout, courtesy of not having researched compass yet. 

Aetryn definitely seems to be pushing hard for revenge on Xist. I'll keep an eye on the power charts to see if we can play cleanup.

t183: little to report. Turn on a bunch of wealth builds to get to steel in 2t. After that the teching will slow a bit as a bunch of cities build a round of cannons for defense purposes. I don't expect anyone to attack, but it never hurts to be safe.

t184: Bing finally researched Rep Parts, taking the lead in MFG. He will keep that until his GA ends and he swaps back to slavery. I'm still tops in GNP for this turn, although that will end when I dial research down. At least Oxford completing will be a significant boost to raw beakers.

The way Aetryn failed to get much out of Lib has me thinking that Bing is the #1 rival again. With the top MFG in the game for the remaining turns of his GA, he can probably blitz a lot of techs. I am hoping that my current edge in tech is enough to secure both corps. I am not sure if Bing is aiming for any corps, or if he just wants to push to a key miltech (say, cavalry) and then do a massive whipping fest to build an army. I am glad that Railroad is the tech for MinInc, as that will make us impossible to crack on the defense for quite a while.

The situation between Xist and Aetryn continues to confuse me. I guess this is right on the border of Xist's land and he needs all those catapults to guard if Xist attacks? But then what is the other settler for?

Steel in. A bunch of cities swap from Wealth to Cannon builds, Ironworks is started in Carmilla. Steam Power due in 5 at breakeven with some gold saved - Oxford is due in 3, so we will really be able to put that gold to good use when it is built.

Screenshots of what I have scouted of Aetryn's land so far. It seems similar quality to ours, a mix of plains, tundra, and grassland with a few food resources sprinkled in. I am curious if he moved his capital like I did or not.

While Bing is still in his mega-GA, we are only 50 behind in MFG and 200ish behind in GNP. Comforting.