As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[pb72 spoilers]: the esteemed gentleman's literature and book club

Can I just say again, the turn pace in this game has been staggering.

(August 31st, 2023, 14:07)El Grillo Wrote: Can I just say again, the turn pace in this game has been staggering.

Is it a RB record?

t186: didn't have time to grab screenshots when playing the turn, but we have a potential red alert. Bing just teched rifling. While Aetryn doesn't seem to have grasped the importance of 2 movers and doesn't border us over water, Bing has a shoreline to strike and the shortest tech path to cavalry. Must keep an eye if his power spikes. I am hoping cannons and then PRO machineguns will deter him.

Machine guns don't get any PRO bonus,as they're siege units.
Playing: PB74
Played: PB58 - PB59 - PB62 - PB66 - PB67
Dedlurked: PB56 (Amicalola) - PB72 (Greenline)
Maps: PB60 - PB61 - PB63 - PB68 - PB70 - PB73 - PB76

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Oxford will finally complete next turn. That will make me feel better about having to take so many cities off wealth builds.

A rather suspicious Bing worker pair. I am worried about an attack from this direction as these two cities are harder to reinforce (a thousand curses on that stupid fjord!). I am building some cannons here as well. Would it make sense to go for rifling before railroad, just for defensive purposes?

The weird shape of Aetryn's land, lacking any road connection to his core, except at the very south.

(September 1st, 2023, 07:50)greenline Wrote:

A rather suspicious Bing worker pair. I am worried about an attack from this direction as these two cities are harder to reinforce (a thousand curses on that stupid fjord!). I am building some cannons here as well. Would it make sense to go for rifling before railroad, just for defensive purposes?

That does look very sus. It might be that he wants a filler city on the desert 2N of the workers, or an alternative route into Aetryn though. Unless he's running some form of worker bonus (serfdom?) they can't road in one turn though.

As for rifling, that's one of the reasons to do binary research: easier to swap around when priorities change. Could maybe turn it down to 0% for a turn and see what he does?
Playing: PB74
Played: PB58 - PB59 - PB62 - PB66 - PB67
Dedlurked: PB56 (Amicalola) - PB72 (Greenline)
Maps: PB60 - PB61 - PB63 - PB68 - PB70 - PB73 - PB76

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Bing is running serfdom at the moment, so he can build a one turn road. I'll turn research down to zero for this turn. We'll see if MilTrad is his next tech.

Bing didn't finish a tech or build a road on the desert hill. Still, I used the saved gold to switch to rifling at 100%. Better safe than sorry. I do not think Bing will want to bother attacking into PRO rifles and cannons.

Oxford is done. That will be about as far as we can push our raw beakers until labs. We do have a very strong base for gold generation though. Aetryn has the strongest amount of pure beakers, being FIN, but doesn't have a shrine or a way to boost internal routes. Bing has been growing his cities fat on water tiles that are currently GA boosted, but will become much weaker outside of the eternal GA. I assume he plans to mass whip all that extra pop into a big army of some description. Railroad can't come soon enough.

After I relocated my phract stack to a position to more easily play zone defence, Xist decided to show off this monstrosity that he must have been tormenting Aetryn with. Too bad I will have to keep all my shiny new cannons pointed in Bing's direction. It won't be enough to take the city if I reinforce, but sadly I don't have enough cats (I think) to weaken the pikes on a hill to the point where I can flank the cats away. Maybe. If he moves in I will sim it.

t189: Bing still hasn't went for MilTrad, Xist didn't advance. Perhaps Bing is aiming for Statue now? His power is spiking a little, so I do feel justified in my paranoia.

t190: my paranoia was correct. Bing grabbed MilTrad this turn, so he can start building cavs. Rifling is in for us, so the entire core is now building rifles or cannons. Steam power will be in 2t, but I do not feel safe enough to build the levees until we have machine guns in place and a railnet.