As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Psilons overrated?

Psilons get techs for about half the price (0,8 x 2/3 = 53%) . And that's just huge in the early game. But you have to adapt your opening to make the best out of it - that is, open research early, make a plan, seed the techs, and so on.

As an example, I was playing a Psilon game the other day. By 2335 the 3rd colony ship was leaving Mentar (going for the 5th colony), already at warp 2. And I had researched R4 + T10 + ER3 + II9 (and Nuclear Engines of course). 

Factories are important too, but not so important. In that game I stopped Mentar at 100 factories, but colony ships takes just 4 turns to complete.

It's quite interesting. Psilons are always forced to adapt to their opponent, otherwise they will be crushed immediately. And in some situations they simply have no chance to defend themselves

IMO you ALWAYS have to adapt in 4x games. The point is, how much you have to deviate from what we may call "a standard opening" to be successful. For example, playing as the Klackons is pretty straightforward - if you just grow pop and factories, you will be playing their advantages very close to optimal.

The Psilon research bonus is huge and suits how most people play this game. Further, they have a fairly good diplomatic outlook, having no natural enemies and tons of trade opportunities via their research.

(September 26th, 2023, 22:25)Anskiy Wrote: I genuinely would like examples of games where early aggression has worked out.

I genuinely would like examples of peaceful and successful games that don't consume your entire day.

Heh, a fast Psilon game? I'm not sure I have the skill to pull it off, but I believe it can be done.

I played a quick game on a safe map... There are fun battles in the middle and at the end, using the most malicious bugs of the game... At the end, the realization comes that almost the entire map was destroyed by one ship. In one battle, the ship created 3 blackholes in a row in one turn without using the wait button. Teleportation into battle + 2 volleys + teleportation back without the enemy being able to respond. That's how i see Psilon gameplay https://youtu.be/GbdZSRlijbU

(October 3rd, 2023, 02:35)Anskiy Wrote: Heh, a fast Psilon game? I'm not sure I have the skill to pull it off, but I believe it can be done.

I'd like to see a successful Psilon play on a dangerous map if someone already knows how to do it.

OK. I did some research on early Psilon aggression and came to the conclusion that I think Psilon is underrated. Well, along the way, I figured out how to radically strengthen AI without giving it the opportunity to cheat with production. Details later
UPD: If you do your research correctly, you won't have to invest a lot of money into it. So you just build your fleet and fight most of the time.
Can handle a normal enemy like Sakkras or Silicoids.
UPD2: Successful early aggression example: https://youtu.be/cpQ6yY5uguY Also: this map have really bad tech rolls (no NPG, no T10, no ER3)

I have developed a certain scheme for more or less optimal development. As a result, I started an extremely good map, and won it mostly with lasers and nuclear bombs. https://youtu.be/v0UEisfBMmI
UPD: After re-watching I see that I'm still missing out on a lot of value