As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[pb72 spoilers]: the esteemed gentleman's literature and book club

sorry bing, but I gave you this option a few turns ago. you shoulda taken it then

I've learned my lesson the hard way about using Machine Guns as city defenders. Bing's turn.

Machine guns are pretty good city defenders, until Artillery comes into play.. Then just stacking an absolute SHITLOAD of collateral into a city makes it impervious. Pb43 is proof of that.
"Superdeath seems to have acquired a rep for aggression somehow. [Image: noidea.gif] In this game that's going to help us because he's going to go to the negotiating table with twitchy eyes and slightly too wide a grin and terrify the neighbors into favorable border agreements, one-sided tech deals and staggered NAPs."
-Old Harry. PB48.

Never mind. The battle went way way worse for me then I thought. For some reason the MGs refused to defend and I had to blow every single siege attack on the stupid infantry. Did Bing just get stupidly lucky when taking out my two cities?

Another FUN LATE GAME FACT: did you know only horse units can take the anti siege promotion?

Perhaps I should have taken bing's peace deal. That torpedoes any chance I have of a comeback. Now Aetryn and Bing can just fight it out. happy to concede whenever.

Artillery has a 50% bonus against siege units, I think.
Nothing you will use much, but MG are siege units. I'm a bit surprised that Infantry defends against cannons, but MG don't get a special city bonus, I think.
And I think not enough siege units for the enemy stack and not enough other units to take the city in 1 turn..
I see 24 MG, 25 Rifles (not good against Infantry, but not trash), ~ 30 "trash" and I think 20 infantry ?
And if Bing has another turn, he can reinforce even more.

And yes, I had "only" 40 catapults against you, but you had only 56 units. 5 hits per catapult makes 200 collateral hits so ~ 4 hits for every unit.

Cannons and artillery do collateral damage against more units, but Bing has even more units in this stack.
Average of 3 hits ? Maybe even 2 ? And even then, the "strongest" enemy defender against Infantry will avoid take damage from the artillery and 20 cannons can't weaken 24 MG enough.

The more I play, the more I dislike all these hidden quirks of the Civ 4 combat engine. Too bad no one wanted to play a civ 6 game.

Catapults are perhaps the most broken unit in Civ4, and collateral damage is king.
Playing: PB74
Played: PB58 - PB59 - PB62 - PB66 - PB67
Dedlurked: PB56 (Amicalola) - PB72 (Greenline)
Maps: PB60 - PB61 - PB63 - PB68 - PB70 - PB73 - PB76

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

(October 16th, 2023, 11:25)Tarkeel Wrote: Catapults are perhaps the most broken unit in Civ4, and collateral damage is king.

makes you wonder why the mod nerfed flanking attacks...  contemplate

I really don't get why cavalry are the only units that can promote anti siege. That makes cavs better attacking into machine guns then infantry. Really doesn't feel right.

And even than, Flanking 2 is better than Charge against MG.
25% against ~ 100% bonus ?
And MG have the 50% against gunpowder, cavalry is better than infantry even without charge. - and all mounted units can use charge.

And which hidden quirk ? the 50% bonus of artillery should be listed in the unit description.

Hidden is not the right word, but unintuitive.

For example, going by what happened this turn, putting machine guns as city defenders when you only have rifles makes the machine guns weaker, because they will defend directly against siege, which collateral your trash and rifles wile directly weakening the machine guns. But if you have infantry, then the infantry always defends first, and machine guns suddenly get better.

Don't like it. Simple as.

Okay, thats fair.
It's should be known that unit composition is important, but you're right this shift is more significant than other.
But even then, MG and infantry are near enough, that a small change diffenrence between the defense boni should change the top defender from infantry to mg. Or city raider 3 gives 10% against gunpowder, I think. This could change the topdefender (for cannons) too.