As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] scooter Reruns Bluey

(February 25th, 2024, 08:35)scooter Wrote:
(February 22nd, 2024, 19:28)scooter Wrote: So uh.

Was this supposed to be a seafood?

Can I get some clarity on this soon? My settler comes out potentially as early as tomorrow, and I'm trying to dotmap, but I'm still not sure if I have a food here or not.

Sorry, I've had a busy weekend, but just checked and that was supposed to be a crab. Will PM Ramk.
Playing: PB74
Played: PB58 - PB59 - PB62 - PB66 - PB67
Dedlurked: PB56 (Amicalola) - PB72 (Greenline)
Maps: PB60 - PB61 - PB63 - PB68 - PB70 - PB73 - PB76

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Just got a PM back from Ramk that it's fixed.

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Carcinization claims yet another victim!

It looks like that river by the iron connects the inner and outer sea for trade/religion purposes, is that right?

I did get my Merchant, and bulbed Civil Service as planned. Time for another revolt.

I decided to go ahead and get OR. This is a bit painful in that I'm gonna have to burn yet another turn of Anarchy for the religious revolt. I think it's going to be worth it though. This is the reason I kinda wanted Gandhi.

Triple whip settler at max overflow, 1T a worker out of that, and then regrow on high food surplus + granary. I didn't sim all this extensively by any means, but it definitely feels like grow/whip early is better than normal with the granaries given that they effectively double the food output. I think I can get a ton of mileage out of this capital with Bureau + OR for infrastructure and IMP + Bureau for settlers. I will probably whip every 10T for a bit before growing vertical later.

Anyway, the most pressing issue was how to dotmap, and specifically whether or not I'm gonna try to culture bomb that barbarian city. The issue is the ideal city location is 4 tiles away, however that is less of a flip slam dunk. If I place it 3 tiles away on the plains hill, it will definitely flip, but it'll come at the cost of making my dotmap sort of horrendous. I've landed on a compromise solution.

This will let yellow dot share 2 tiles with the capital, including most importantly the Wheat. It comes at the cost of losing the Ivory sharing, but I can live with that. It also loses hill defense and riverside, so there's a real cost here. I really wanted to place this 1W on the plains hill for a bunch of reasons. However, I think the upside of getting a "free" city is just too high, not to mention that it sets very reasonable borders with Commodore. This would be me planting the city T23 and bombing it roughly T27. Flipping to me around T40 is a pretty realistic expectation, though variance can cut both ways on that. The rest of the dotmap roughly falls out of this. IMP and smallish map means we want to pack cities in, which necessitates an inland purple dot, so the other coastal locations spring out of this. I'm less fussed about first ring foods here because we'll have the ability to build culture or use OR missionaries to pop borders.

I'm going to feel really lousy about this city placement if I miss the Music Artist, but I've thought through the other players choices a million times, and none of them getting there sooner makes any sense, so I'm confident.

Here's a very rough stab at the west, but it will mostly depend on if I can find any more seafood on the coast there. This is super in-pencil tentative just to give me an eyeball at what is possible. Another central filler will have to go in there, likely sharing the Rice. The west is tricky in that it's not especially food rich - there's a bit of a dearth between the Deer and Rice which is tough to handle. I expect I won't be getting that barb city, so this is me mostly ceding that one to Thoth unless he badly bungles his start.

There's also this guy up here which will be very important. Sadly Moai is not buildable on Medieval starts, which really feels like it should be changed. Moai is such a satisfying wonder and really opens up the ability for a medium city to become powerful, and I am sad that it's disabled here.

(February 26th, 2024, 11:51)Tarkeel Wrote: Just got a PM back from Ramk that it's fixed.

Thanks! I did notice this on my turn. I have no idea how we survived so long without his powers. I was pretty confident there was supposed to be something there just based on where the other foods were and weren't.

(February 24th, 2024, 00:38)T-hawk Wrote: IIRC, the culture flip odds converge to something like 12.5% revolt chance per turn, and you need two revolts, with a resistance period between, so the expected time is something like 18-20 turns total. I could be off but I think that's in the ballpark.

(February 24th, 2024, 13:39)Erasmas Wrote: Barbarian cities will flip after the first revolt. According to this https://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/strateg...assembled/ they will even always fail the revolt roll, so as soon as you have enough culure you will get the city.

FYI I tested this, and yeah it just immediately flips on first revolt. I culture bombed a barb city 3 tiles away, and it was in my possession in 12 turns.

Can someone remind Commodore that you have to change your EP spend in order to get everyone's graphs? He has spent max EPs on me every turn the whole game despite blowing past the necessary threshold to get graphs on me like 9 turns ago. lol

Maybe he really wants to know your research, who knows? wink

Does this mean all future Triremes will have this as well? I think so, but I avoid Events as much as possible, so I honestly don't know for sure.

One of the things I hate about the event/quest system is you are not told the reward. So in this case I have to google to find out this is a really strong benefit (+1 happiness in all cities forever), assuming a random forum post is accurate. Anyway, this just boils down to insane RNG. First off, I have to roll this event, and then second, I have to RNG into this particular peak being one of the ones within reach for me. Just pure luck whether I'm going to have a free .5 Notre Dame. Speaking of luck.

Boy is that a tilter if you're Thoth lol. Surely he's been waiting in hopes that his religion would free spread to his capital, and instead mine did.

Named this city after a Bluey episode that is about exactly what it sounds like. I am third to city 3, which isn't great for IMP, but it's also an artifact of sacrificing some citizen turns and a bunch of anarchy to get into Bureau, so I think when factoring in that context, it doesn't feel so bad.

(February 28th, 2024, 09:05)scooter Wrote: Does this mean all future Triremes will have this as well? I think so, but I avoid Events as much as possible, so I honestly don't know for sure.

Yes.

Also, Keepy Uppy is great!
I love how it's not a classic happy ending episode, with the balloon exploding. Instead they turn it into making the most out of what you have.

That trireme event should be pretty useful, since everything that encourages Thoth to look north instead of south is going to help. We definitely do not want to get double teamed here, and it’s very possible Commodore would prefer to look toward us rather than Pindicator since we might be the bigger long-term threat. Also, sniping the barb city via flip could be a thorn in his side.