As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Remnants Succession Game 02 - In Our Own Talons

Looks like some very productive turns, Fenn. thumbsup

We now have a bridge to the other side of the galaxy, and access to the races there. How does our diplo situation look? With the additional planets we have taken plus advanced soil, I am guessing we will be a candidate in the next coucil election.

I have a brief bit of internet so I wanted to ask, what do the lizards have? We first put spies on them on the last turn of my set so I didn’t get to see and I’m also not sure how they stack up on the graphs.
Surprise! Turns out I'm a girl!

Seems like nice work going on with the game the last few set. We've got the break out we need to bring the game to a win, I think.

At this stage we should be strong enough not to lose (barring a total diplo disaster), just a matter of finding the right route.

I'll keep watching the game, but I don't expect to be getting a set when I come back from Frankfurt in a fortnight.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

Okay, Got it!

(June 29th, 2024, 12:02)Dp101 Wrote: I have a brief bit of internet so I wanted to ask, what do the lizards have?

I'll have to check again if you want to details, but: Nothing we care about.

(June 29th, 2024, 11:55)haphazard1 Wrote: How does our diplo situation look?

Promising! I'll go into more detail when I post a report (I can probably cover the first half of the turns today, and the rest tomorrow.)

Quote:With the additional planets we have taken plus advanced soil, I am guessing we will be a candidate in the next coucil election.

I would say this is an excellent guess! More later....

Good luck, RefSteel!

It seems like our position is a lot better than 30 turns ago, but we still have quite a ways to go to secure a victory. The humans still have a much stronger diplomatic position with most races, and the brains benefit from their alliance. Hopefully we will know more when RefSteel updates.

Report, part 1 - Turns 160-165:

My friend, have you got it made! Let me tell you about your election campaign! Now, look, I don't want you expecting too much: There's not a lot of time before vote time, and I don't see you getting voted High Master of the entire galaxy yet - not yet, okay, you get me? - but all this nay-saying some big-beak bird named Ref said a decade or two back? Ignore him. He doesn't know what he's talking about. We are shimmer-tailed and golden. So look, here's our campaign: Old big-beak nay-say over there says how the rocks and bugs hate each other and everything, how we need to warble on up to the Imperial Rockhead and say how sweet it looks in its magma trousers if we want to avoid getting voted out of the galaxy. As if, am I right? But here's the thing: We knew with all the bug-swatting we were doing, old Carnax would be our buddy if we wanted it to be, so we make this really sweet trade!

I know, I know, trading away a stream projector, death on little ships like ours, eventually, if you put 'em on enough different ships or get enough shots off with them before we slag your entire projectoring fleet. Scary, scary. But the rocks are gonna like us, and it's not like we're relying on that: We can burn their projector ships fast enough if we have to, if they build them, and oh, guess what, spoiler alert, but we have an emergency alternative or two now anyway. But here's the point, and I mean here is the point: Wait until you see what we got in exchange!

Oh, and - and! - I have to tell you, we changed up our tech priorities a little bit. Like, a little. Like, a ton. Like, the last Sovereign was all about getting us some new exoskeletons, fully support that, A-number-one job on that, but that was done, just right in time for the take-over and the old Sovereign was like, hey, keep in mind you can change this stuff up; it just finished right now and everything. So, yeah, we did that. We had an election to win. To not lose. But hey, you know how this goes: If we don't lose, we - we, my fine-feathered friend - are going to win!

Oh, hey, did you think we were emphasizing planetology for like thirty million more voters per world? Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt. Plenty of time for that later, if you ask me. We wanted ion drives, and we wanted them yesterday - I mean, the day before we ... c'mon, you know what I mean. Plus, turns out the industrial thing we were supposed to be researching wouldn't even push the state of the art and was barely better than what we had, so we switched that like the old Sovereign said we could, to new armor for our troops and bases and everything. No worries. So you get it: We went for that and sent some ships around to do some things. Didn't really pay close attention to which ships were which and which we were sending where, you follow me? Ships from the back lines toward the front, a bunch of stuff up to Kholdan, and as for which was which, we just sent them and didn't worry about it too much. For a certain reason.

This is what it looks like when the bugs think they're victorious! Hate to see what losing looks like to them, am I right? Well, if I am, I'd better warn you, because you're going to have to do a lot of looking away. Now, we didn't pay close enough attention to what was which, so we didn't knock down their bases and lost all the totally-inadequate number of bombers we sent in there - completely unnecessarily, I admit that, okay - because we frankly made a mistake with how we flew them, but by the time that happened, we'd completely destroyed their largest remaining starfleet, more than thirty ships strong, more than half of them cruisers, almost all of those the supposedly-scary Tarantulas, and the thing about those missile bases still standing? We didn't care! The whole point of the excersize was to get their fleet out of our feathers; we didn't have enough population nearby yet to take the planet anyway! And we were gonna! We had our triple perch-grip on their side of the galaxy, and with our fighters in space out there, nobody was taking that away. It was time to quit bombing our targets to smithereens just to give our tiny transport fleets a fighting chance, and start taking worlds for real with all their technology and factories! Oh, oh, and speaking of technology:

Always good for the ego of a stealth agent like this bird to pull off a steal from the 'loks! Poor bird doesn't even know what planet the lab is on - oh, and spoilers here, but that's about to change - but still pulls another jammer to help us sneak around like this even more!

Oh, yeah, and while I'm spoiling the story, we were a little busy that next year, for certain reasons, but we did find time to push that engine tech just a little bit more.

Not looking so hot yet, but it's gonna look better, you take my word for this. Because in the meantime, we're getting all these calls on the holo-thing. Carnax is all, "Oh your armored exoskeleton's so gorgeous on you, birdy! Don't you want some garbage torpedoes for it that'll never fit on anything?" BZZZZZZZZZZZT Mr. Rock! We made the trade with you we wanted to! And here it comes! Wait for it ... wait for it......

That's the one! A smidgen more comp tech for our hacker-spies, right? Totally worth an ion stream projector ... as if! No, my friend, this is the beauty of this trade: Everything within nine parsecs of our stars - including the new baby-colonies that used to be core Hive space - is flat-out visble to us now, as good as if we got a survey ship in orbit! That means every star in the galaxy but like three or four or something. We can see Orion in spite of its Guardian. We can see all the bug colonies, so we know which ones are decent, and which are poor and ultra-poor. We can see everything! And you know what this means, right? This means we don't have to wait for our lazy bombers to fly to the right place and clear the bases yet. Because you know where we can send our transports in advance? If you guessed "wherever we want," then you guessed right, my friend!

Oh, oh, wait, and this is precious: More of these aliens call us up, and first off is the 'loks, complaining!

Ooooooooh, ooooooooh, are we spying on you? Are we succeeding? Is that what you're supposed to do? So sad you're so bad at everything. Now watch me ignore you!

Oooooooh, oooooh, but wait, what if our spies get caught again and they declare war or something? What would we do? We only have a few hundred more anti-matter bombers burning holes in our pockets than we even know what to do with right now - literally!

Anyway, so, bugface comes and tells us it doesn't like the whole war thing we've been teaching her about. I mean, okay, buggy, you've had like, I don't know, decades at least, to learn about it from Carnax; you should have figured this out by now. You know what I think you don't like about our war - when you say it like, "this thing you call war" to us? You don't like the part where we're winning!

Anyway, yeah, so the lizards are willing to do a trade with us here, so we go ahead and pull the trigger without even checking to see if it's going to do us any good, even though it probably helps them a lot: We're reducing their waste to like 60% of something while they just give us another kind of deflector shield - class 4 or something - because we like tech and we might as well trade and get the bad stuff out of the way. Because here's the thing about the lizards: They don't scare me. They don't scare you. They don't scare anybody. Because they are small and shabby and bad at everything.

So anyway, funny story: We have all these extra overkill ships we sent to Akechi for a way point, and our first squad of less than three dozen extended-range fighters shows up to clear the way, facing I kid you not, four Mentaran cruisers, because apparently in spite of everything we never bothered to make a non-aggression pact with them. So here's how that went:

Mentarans, top-flight researchers, am I right? Those Axis garbage scows are armed with nothing but five-rack scatter packs, [EDIT: (okay, and maybe bombs; I don't think we have a scan, and there was no planet in the system for them to attack)] and they might as well come with a label pasted on: "Warning: Munitions Too Slow To Live." Twice, they actually flew right up to our ships, clear into NPG range, and fired their missiles point-blank, and they still couldn't catch up to us - we just outran the things! Didn't even bother to fire back, although I don't know if the Republic's brain-trust appreciated that or not. Doesn't matter: The longer they keep using ships like that in their fleet, the longer we can laugh and ignore them completely. Anyway, so yeah, waypoint secure at Akechi.

Right, so we still had more calls coming in, starting with Carnax, and apparently it can't unload those torps fast enough - close-out sale time, everything must go! And since we wouldn't trade it our exoskels, it was like, "Hey, maybe for fuel cells?"

And we're all, "Sure! Knock yourself out! I mean that literally!" We weren't worried if their ships could go a long way off (oh - but not far enough to reach our core, by the way) and every bit of miniaturization has got to be a good thing. Plus - and I'll bet you thought I'd forgotten - we were electioneering! More trade is good for buddying up to other leaders, y'see ... and, trust me my fine-feathered friend, I had not forgotten!

Electioneering comes in many forms: We started turning all our planets into Gaias the first chance we got, upping our own voting power right away, and shipped off colonists to help fill out all the new space on our best worlds, to arrive the year after the projects were complete, while the four of those worlds built out the rest of their newly-available factories. All three of the new bridge worlds and our artifact-laden dreamworld at Yonezu all got help with all of that from the treasury, but that wasn't all my friend - not by a long swoop! - because we had new worlds to conquer, and our transports were heading forward to get at them! We were going to need a lot of people, I hear you say - and so we were! - and it would help to get them out to the front as soon as we possibly could, with no way to know how long our new engines would take to be really ready. So we needed something - and hey! Check out the brains!

It never feels good trading computer technology away, but Dynalon had better already, and I'm fine with our braniac buddies seeing fleets - and even planets - from far away like now we do ... when it means we can clone whole armies of canvassers to help get out the vote! Oh, and then guess who noticed another big Hive fleet sitting over a planet I don't care about! Guess who!

Awwwwwwwwwwww yeah, look at that beautiful battle the Hive called their "victory!" This time we sent most of our fighters, and enough bombers to take the bases too - but then we didn't because we didn't want anybody messing with the buggies at Ixil ... not yet! So our bombers flew around their hilariously-slow five-racked scatter missiles, then eventually retreated before the planetary missiles could reach, and our fighters burned down all their armed ships without touching the planets - including almost twenty more of those "scary" Tarantula things - without losing a single ship!

Friends, don't let friends design five-rack scatter boats.

Oh, and we went ahead and blew up all of Kaxuinic's defenses, maybe a little earlier than we should have, but eh, I'll take it, right? You know, kind of also in the news. The way I know it was early: Our 'sports weren't ready to show up yet, and the very next year, they rebuilt almost half their bases and a couple more cruisers that had been flying back that way showed up. But then the Imperial Star Fleet sent something there too - saw a big orange triangle on the HUD - and it was looking like we'd have to blow up the new defenses, and then take on our new best buddy Carnax to keep control of the place's space. So we said forget that, you know? Our transports still weren't in position, so we got out of their airspace, let the two of them fight it out, and when the rocks retreated too - I didn't even check to see if either side took losses since, frankly, I didn't care - it was on to the next bout of interstellar electioneering!

Our simian friends showed up asking for a trade upgrade, and we were like, "Sure! The more the merrier!" and then there's this funny thing: I guess it's the translation module updating to our calendar system, but it's still just weird seeing an alien seeming to call the year "462" - a date that has no meaning to them or their history! Of course, it'll look good later in the historical documentaries when the Altairan dating system is adopted as the universal standard throughout the galaxy, together with everything else about our empire, but let's not get ahead of ourselves! Like I said, we're not winning this election outright!

Probably.

Here you see some of the work we're doing to turn that around: Those seventy-three transports bound for Ixlu are less than half the total number that are going to converge there from Shangri-La, Satake, and Acanceh - not to mention the waves of transports heading for Civiltuk en route to Points Beyond from around cat space. We're getting ready to get out the vote on the far side of the galaxy!

So, okay, my friend, we're just about halfway home now, so let's take a look at the situation as it stood half-way through your predecessor's reign as Sovereign. We had spies running around everywhere except with the cats who we knew had nothing and the apes who had crazy-advanced computer technology and had gotten slightly miffed at our previous success against them. We didn't want to be their enemies! The 'loks were pretty angry about it too, but our feeling about them was, "Declare on us! We dare you!" But there's one other case that got shifted into the Earthlings' category right around that time:

Breaking into Mentaran labs isn't what I'd call easy, but this time we had pretty good options everywhere - except computers with a flat nothing - and instead of hedging our bets for another reduction in industrial waste, we took one of the gambles: A coin flip between burning rubbish and ... well, and what we got! It's a shame it came one year too late to help us up at Ixlu - by the time the spy sent the blueprints over, the transports from Acanceh had just left without the new toys - but a fusion rifle's going to be a big deal for all the upcoming invasions from half a galaxy away! Dynalon was pretty upset and complained noisily, so we shut down spy operations and told our heroic fusion-rifle-stealer to hide out for a while, but it was worth it - and to make up for it, we kicked up our trade package with the brainiacs, and with the rockers besides, to match what the chimps set up with us the year before!

That's significant, you see: Those three bands of crazy aliens? They're neck and neck and ... rocky protuberance, something ... in the race for second place in galactic population! But. Okay, I'm saying: It's a race for second the way a bunch of birds power-gliding from mountaintops would race for second place in altitude when first place is like superbird soaring through the upper stratosphere. This thing where we invade the bugs (whose vote count is going to keep dropping) and make friends with the rocks (because unlike the monkeys, they won't have enough friends to win even if they're nominated) so we'll have a what's it called, loss-proof bloc? Forget it! I mean, sure, whatever, lean into it, whatever you want, but - but! When we take the bug worlds - and maybe the 'loks' for good measure - and turn them into Gaias, and clone up replacements for all the birds who went out to do the job, I'm thinking - okay, not a promise, 'cause anything can happen, and maybe I can be wrong - but I'm thinking we're going to get you a veto at this rate!

To be continued tomorrow....

I just realized though, I'm not sure how well that answered the diplo question after all, so I'll say:
- The cats still hate us and always will
- The bugs obviously hate us, but we can presumably get peace (at which point they will still hate us forever) whenever we want (so maybe just before the council, though that probably doesn't matter).
- The rocks love us as long as we keep blowing up bugs, so we can probably do something with that if we want to.
- Everyone else is trading with us, though only the apes have a NAP with us. They're generally neutralish toward us, upset by our expansion and espionage.
- If we keep up the pressure, it won't matter what anyone thinks of us unless (or ... maybe even if!) the Central Alliance or mayyyyybe rocks (they have by far the galaxy's largest starfleet) declare war - contingencies which we're actively working to avoid with every expectation of success for the immediate future.

Nice report, RefSteel. thumbsup Lots of new tech, new worlds being added to our growing holdings, and possibly some races will vote for us. Cloning tech in particular is a big pick up, so we can fill all these worlds with pop.

Report Part 2, Turns 166-170:

So do I know what you're thinking? Tell me if I know what you're thinking here: It's all fine and sweet to make trades with aliens and just hope they vote with us, and make grandiose plans about a veto, but how is this veto thing going to ever get delivered to me? What's it going to take to get over the line here? Is that what it is? Because if you want to know what to do about it, have a look over here:

Yeah, that's Ixlu, where the bugs had a colony five years back. You might remember we had a little practice taking on their bases and fleets - and this one barely qualified, compared to what we'd been fighting in the past - and we were still learning, getting better at predicting how many bombers we'd need to quickly handle each base, that kind of thing. So at this point, we're looking at twenty-two lost bombers and just twenty-three lost factories, but we can do better, and we will. But there's another difference here from all the other attacks we made before. See, this time we had transports coming in right behind our ships, and that's the reason we wanted to cut down some on all the blown-up factories. Only thing is? We had a problem! The bugs came up with a fusion rifle just before we landed - probably traded for it with somebody - and like I said, our fusion rifles arrived just a little too late to get out there for the battle. Turned what should have been a walk-over into a burny, mushroom-cloudy kind of fight.

Good thing we sent enough birds down to make sure! We outnumbered the bugs by more than two to one when we hit the ground, and still had only ten million survivors after the fight - less than 7% of our invasion force! We'd planned to turn the planet straight around into an ace world for us, and we were still going to do that, for sure, but talk about flying into a head-wind to get there!

Okay, so that said, let's hit the good news for a change: All those 297 factories were building stuff, and they had designs loaded into their buffers and everywhere so they'd be able to handle all the bug technology, and we looted their data systems for all they were worth! Energy pulsar? Do not want, but hey, miniaturization, and it's a good thing they didn't put that on their fleets! (Bugs are dumb, FYI.) (Plus, we didn't give them a lot of time to react to our designs between declaring war and ... you know, this happening.) Auto Blaster, argh, we should not have wasted resources trying to research that for ourselves, now I don't even care about looting it here. Class V deflectors - is that our state of the art now? Should I care? I should not. Controlled Tundra, hurray for a smidgeon more production, I guess? I mean, actually, with our galaxy-leading population, a smidgeon adds up to a lot, but please. And Class III deflectors, definitely not state of anybody's art who matters to anything, we're getting all the bugs' junk out of this planet, aren't we? Is there any other trash our birds can loot out of those factories? Maybe a jammer that only works against anti-missiles or something just to be doubly or triply useless, depending on how you count?

NOPE! That's their absorption shield we're getting, finally! And that means, between those and our own fusion rifles, we were finally going to have the advantage when we invaded again - we'd be trying to push that advantage even farther too, looking at hand phasors as our next secret weapon project, at the same time as a cloak for our ships - and "when we invaded again" was coming up fast! We launched the last set of transports from Civiltuk, crammed with enough 'sorb shields to supply all the other troops going in, and...

Boom! Kaxuinic's the way a battle's supposed to go! We lose 21 Raptor bombers (and, as usual, by the way, absolutely nothing else) and drop just nineteen of their factories (we could have done better, but that's pretty good) to ice three more Tarantulas, another of their Viper cruisers, six bases, and their colony, because we sent in just enough troops - by sheer luck, exactly enough - to kill off all the bug troops who hadn't been splashed by our bombs, and replace the former bug population, from prior to our attack exactly!

Oh, and was that ever a year for technology!

The soldiers got first crack, and they helped, but, see, our scientists finally came through around the same time with stuff they'd been promising for years already, and that was what split the skies: Robotic controls more advanced than anybody else's I know of got started right away at our best worlds, with Yonezu getting some help from the treasury since research is its thing, not production like the rest. None of the other planets could afford the delay right off, with all the cloning they needed to do and that kind of thing - get-out-the-vote stuff, you know? - and we'd be going for our only option after that, with a two-layer battle computer upgrade. But that wasn't even the big news. No, the big news was Ion drives! We're looking into Star Gates now so we'll be able to connect the two halves of our empire more effectively, but I'm glad we took these in the order we did: We just didn't have the production yet in our new holdings to get any star gates in place, but with the new drives, we can get people and ships - and did I mention people, like in transports, as in troops? - across space fast, and build up the new holdings so they will be able to build star gates! Anyway, the only way forward was with a high-energy focus thing that's hard to imagine doing any good on a little one-pilot ship.

So mewanwhile, we were cleaning up everything the bugs had, thanks to Kaxuinic's 341 surviving factories, which meant another smidge of a production boost from inferno environmental controls, anti-missile rockets to point and laugh at and help miniaturize our actual weapons a tiny bit, a warp dissipator device that'll never fit on our combat ships, plus the one bug tech we actually wanted - and wanted a lot: Terraforming technology that would make room for another ten million birds on every single world where we lived in the galaxy! Which, also thanks to the bugs' helpful contributions, was up to seventeen! And believe me, my fine-feathered friend, I mean seventeen and counting, because we were not done - and I'd better just add that unless you decide otherwise, we are not done yet!

Yeahhhhhhh when I saw what your predecessor had in mind here, first thing I said was, "Oh, no - the crazy old bird is doing it again!" Most of these fleets and transports and everything have landed by now. Most of them. But if you're having trouble following all the Jasana's-Cradle lines showing our planned attack and reinforcement vectors across interstellar space, I don't blame you. Not building any new ships yet in spite of the new design though: We didn't need 'em yet; we had a big enough fleet already! The only sad part is that our fun little exercise in insect electioneering was winding down: The bugs were running out of worlds for us to take! But even a quick glance at those battle lines I mentioned should give you some idea that we had a solution in mind for that already!

Oh, and speaking of which - you know, it'srelated for certain reasons - our least-important tech contribution of the year was from Carinth, one of the liz... oh, wait, wait, hold on while I check ... okay, yeah, yeah, had to make sure: One of the lizard worlds!

Our eager little buddy here didn't have much to choose from since we could already enrich our soil better than they every could, but we figured at the time that a smidge more room to fit cool stuff onto our ships would be cooler than a smidge more production everywhere for what we were planning. Plus, there's this one actual use case for auto-repair on little one-pilot ships like ours: In case we start facing someone who deploys stream projectors, we can make giant swarms of fighters and bombers that can actually stay in the fight! But that's for later-if-ever. Because, remember all those tangled lines on the attack plan from that year? Yeah, it was about to get worse.

See, so, okay, I had been thinking, right up until the year we finally took Kaxuinic and our ion drives came in, we'll conquer all the bugs except like one world, and then move straight on to the 'loks, because who even likes 'loks, am I right? But come to realize, those cloak-loving masked-up universal thieves are still far away from everything, and they don't have all that many worlds, but they do have a monster fleet! And it's like I heard you were saying, I don't know, thirty, forty, fifty years ago? Way back when, about Ajoite, when sure our bombers could crack their bases, but would we even have enough firepower to bust up all the garbage they had floating around in space? Not to mention the chance they'd have something on their cruisers that - in big enough numbers - could actually kill our ships! And, okay, what your predecessor, the crazy old Sovereign with the cat's-cradle plans, what that bird noticed was, the lizards had practically no fleet to speak of - even smaller, even by GNN's clueless metric than ours - and they had a bunch of big worlds with plenty of voting power, much closer by! So ... that started happening, and then in the meantime, we actually found another use case for that auto-repair stuff we got from those very same lizards already!

I know, I know, individual Mentaran ships are going to be harder to kill when they can regenerate, but I'm not scared. They'll probably put it on missile boats that have to retreat in short order anyway, or not bother to put it on anything, and I'm hoping we never have to fight them anyway - or if we do, we can always swarm them with enough fighters to kill off their ships before they can repair! Anyway, so apart from that, it was a quiet year - and so was the next one - because we were all preparing for the big year: This year, when the old Sovereign got to retire in style and you get to take over with me for your election campaigner! Would have been crazier and fancier with more stuff planned right away if the loon wasn't planning to retire right this year already, but that's what you get. Anyway, here's what it looked like last year: The year before the fireworks:

That's one of the fleets heading out that I highlighted. There are lots. Did I mention your predecessor built zero armed ships throughout the entire decade - just a small number of scanner boats? Yeah, that's because our "little" starfleet was already more than enough. We didn't need anything else. Now, though? Well, that's up to you. We've got some suggested designs lined up that I think you'll agree are pretty if you want to keep pushing attacks against stronger enemies than lizards, cats, and bugs, or you can just roll with what you've got and keep pushing funds into the reserve to help stand up our new worlds. Your call!

Now, what am I forgetting here? Oh - oh, right, right, the apes! They warned us about stealing something from them, which we hadn't done (that year) and of course we were framed. So that's something to keep an eye on: They like us okay, but apparently someone is spying on them in spite of them being beloved monkeys, and trying to drive a wedge between us.

Oh, and there's this other thing:

The old sovereign was complaining about not being able to find an option to declare war! I don't know. The diplomatic corps is funny that way; sometimes they pretend not to know how or something? Or maybe they'd have made it an option in there somewhere; it's not like we spent much time looking. It wasn't like the lizards would take long to figure out we were at war anyway.

So here's the lizards' homeworld with its seventeen missile bases, moments before our bombers slagged them all in one shot. Talons went wide to leave space in the middle for the Raptor bombers, right up behind the rightmost asteroids on the screen. Then with not enough missiles from the ships to make us care, the Talons went right up to start slugging away with their out-of-date targeting computers and NPGs. The Swifts would help with that a little when they finally caught up. Then the bombers went "high" because the Dinosaurs seemed to be firing more rockets (I mean, there were more Dinosaurs) than the Pterodactyls, closing with the planet and eating whatever shots caught up, and then ran around trying to dodge more missiles for a while so the NPG fighters could clean up and nobody would have to retreat. We lost less than twenty bombers to their six Dinosaur cruisers, seventeen bases. The 'dactyls managed to retreat because our fighters are showing their age and couldn't slag them all before the enemy ran out of missiles to shoot. Similar stuff at Mersorth, and at Xelha against the bugs. Oh, and also we sent a spare fleet over to Ixil to blow up the last of the bugs' military equipment. They didn't bomb the place from orbit because we were afraid we'd kill off all the bugs, so we're sending most of them elsewhere now. But the big electioneering push was still at the lizard homeworld!

I know it's unfortunate, really sad, but it always happens with these really nasty elections with all kinds of negative ads: The number who showed up at the polls shrank a lot in the course of the campaign. Still, thanks to a really effective force-field and construction-based advertising campaign of our own, after leading the polling just 191 million to 147 million at the outset, we're now solidly ahead in the planetary polls by a solid 98 million! It didn't go nearly that well at the bug world of Xelha - for a certain reason - but we sent so much, we still came out ahead by some 51 million, and even at Mersoth, where we were actually outnumbered by the lizards before our fleet arrived, our technological edge brought us another electoral victory, with a 27-million vote lead! Oh, oh, and that certain reason I mentioned?

Yeah, the bugs just kept it up with their last-minute tech leaps, this time jumping all the way up to Tritanium armor for their troops just before ours hit their skies. Lucky for us, now we have it, for all our future conquests - plus, the cute, slightly crude techniques the lizards use to enrich their soil - which should make things a little easier for us ... meaning, my fine-feathered friend, for you!

Okay, okay, I hear you say, but what does this have to do with your election campaign? Yeah, well, it's just a piece of the bigger picture that covers everything:

Remember how big the bugs' fleet was before ours blew it to pieces? Yeah. It's currently sitting at 0.0% of the military strength of the galaxy. The lizards aren't looking too hot either, and we've barely started with them. We can take on the others too when and if we ever have to, no matter what the numbers say right now - we've got some ace shipyard worlds that just finished maxing out their infrastructure ready to build us a whole new and better warp-6 fleet if necessary ... or when we feel like it! Our production numbers have been scratching and clawing their way toward the top for ages, and we have a ton of new factories we can still produce, including the ones we just have to cheaply refit to work with us instead of bugs of lizards at our newly-captured colonies. We're even starting to threaten to break into the big three in technology if we concentrate on that for a bit ... and planets ... well, we have an even twenty - which is more than the entire Central Alliance combined. But you don't want to hear about that. You want to hear your poll numbers - and, well, check out that population count! We've almost got a veto already, with room to grow on most of our worlds and transports still in space - mostly for Sssla, Kholdan, and Mersorth, all arriving within the next three years. We might be able to veto the Council with just the worlds we have ... but there's no reason, unless you want to, to stop here!

Oh, and if the election were held today? We'd be up against Dynalon, who - critically - isn't a monkey, so not everybody loves him. But you know who's third in population right now?

Carnax is funny. We've been fighting the bugs for years, and now it shows up to egg us on? Now it's like, "Hey go prove yourself on the battlefield against the disgusting insects"? I mean, look, that war is donezo. They're in a zoo with no bases or starfleet and a fair amount of mineral poverty! We've already won! But hey, we've got an election to win - you know? If Carnax isn't going to be nominated (and who knows at this point; it's a close race for second right now) we might as well leave a token force to drop some anti-matter bombs into the Klackon zoo for a while. And the best part is, if it's close enough we think Carnax might be nominated, we can make peace with the bugs at the last minute and get their vote - as long as they stay at war with the C'oids, but y'know. I'm sure they want to make peace, but Carnax will take one look at their relative fleet strengths and "NO!" will just say, even faster than I can lead up to the open-quotes,

Okay, okay, enough joking about dumb aliens. What if they turn out to be smart? Like, I mentioned adding auto-repair if we expect long fights with stream projectors, but what about, I don't know, repulsor beams? Or anything else we need to engage fast or at long range? Well, even in spite of their adoration for ECM, if we have to, here's a suggestion somebody left in the "Prototype" box:

Now, this is a missile boat! 22 billion credits to get a pair of Stinger missiles with class-9 total targeting into space is a pretty good deal. It's just that for ship-to-ship if we can take our time a little more and close to point-blank range, I'd rather have something like the Surgeon 6, with our best computer, best maneuver including a stabilizer, and a mass driver! Twin NPGs would be better if we were facing a bunch of little ships, but as someone observed before we set off on this crazy quest, the aliens all seem to be too dumb to ever use little fighters, so we might as well show them the error of their ways!

Oh - oh, and those Terminal V(elocity)s? Best computer. Best speed. Stabilizer. And two anti-matter bombs apiece! None of this has been built yet, so it's totally up to you what you actually use - you could go a whole different way, or build nothing yet since we already have enough fleet to take on the lizards at least - but this should give you an idea of what's available if you want it. And - heh - especially since, as a kind of extra gift, the last Sovereign did leave a pretty good amount of "ship reserve" stores on each of our three main shipyard worlds ready to contribute toward whatever you want to build next. Just saying.

So okay, that's just speculation, so let's go ahead and speculate some more. When you get into office, things are going to look comparatively clean, with just those 'sports I mentioned coming in. But if the old Sovereign got roped into taking another term? Here's the way things might look starting out the new term then!

No worries if you don't want to play it that way; just offering it for your consideration. That, and noting the two ships that did get built with warp six: A pair of up-to-date Falcon's Eye scan ships, one at Mersorth (potentially heading to Sssla to rendezvous with more of the fleet, or available to redirect to anywhere you find interesting) and one on its way to Adachi, partly as a waypoint, and partly just to see what kinds of alien ships might be hanging out there, so it can post them to the Alien Military screens. Should be there next year, ready to send along to whatever you're curious about next ... on your way first to a veto and later to rule over the galaxy!

Notes for the next player:

- We're extremely close to a veto, with room to grow and more targets to conquer.

- There are still incoming transports to three worlds; some pop might have to be moved away from one or more of them before the transports come in to make room.  (There are places to send them.  Including, you know, "more targets to conquer.")

- For the worlds that still have alien factories we can cheaply refit, I've listed the number of such factories available in the "Notes" section on the Colony screen.  One is a UP world (yes, I took one of those, liking the extra population it would allow, plus all the factories the bugs were so kind as to build for us there) so I don't recommend building any more facs there than the bugs already did.  Also, I'd suggest keeping it fully fed with reserves whenever its building factories and completing its Gaia conversion first (and maybe growing some troops too to help take other worlds if that helps get our population up for the High Council on T174.)

- Only our rich, UR, and Art worlds have maxed factories with our new RC.  No one else has even started yet.  (It came in very recently, and we needed pop growth for assault transports more than new, ridiculously overpriced factories).

- The Rich and UR worlds each have some stored "ship reserve" from changing off of a huge, imaginary super-defensive colony ship which was later scrapped, so whenever you start shipbuilding there, they should have an extra initial boost.

- We have a deadly fleet above Ixil, the last (poor, small) Hive world.  Most of it is being sent away (you can still change this) with a few ships left behind in case we want to bomb it for diplo purposes.  You can of course veto this too and probably even make peace with the bugs.

- We have two scanner ships - our only warp-6 ships yet, which means our transports are now moving faster than our combat fleets! - one of which will reach the Adachi asteroid system next turn; the other is at Mersorth.

- Our main attack fleet is divided mostly between Sssla, Mesorth, and Xelha, with another fleet at-or-leaving Ixil as mentioned above.

- I'd stopped spying on the brains and apes since they are way ahead in computer tech and I don't want to start a war with them if I can help it. I am spying on the 'loks because I'm happy to go to war with them in spite of their giant fleet, especially if I can scan it and plan how to defeat it, but you can certainly change this!

- I have spent no reserves this turn (there might be a little left over from last turn in one or two places) nor sent any new transports out nor dispatched any other fleets (except maybe the Mersorth scanner? I don't remember) ... in the normal 2470 save. As usual, I have not left this save in the state in which I would actually have ended the turn with it if I were playing on, partly because I didn't want to make irrevocable decisions for you like spending from the treasury. On the other hand...

- The attached zipped folder actually includes two saves; the 2470B version is there just in case you want to see what my plan would look like (more or less) if I were taking over instead of handing off, and/or want to pick it up there instead of "earlier in the turn." Obviously you can duplicate it just by playing from the 2470 version and making the same calls I did, none of which provide more information - so it's fine to play from either one. Note that in the "B" version, I'm staging the main fleet at Sssla, preparing to split it to attack Apophis to arrive in 2472) while sending some to support the attackers coming from Ixil to Norruth (in 2473) and/or splitting off to Carinth (TBD, but probably 2473, including transports arriving, if I were playing - or possibly 2472 with a first wave of transports from Sssla ahead of reinforcements, perhaps also from Sssla, depending).

Attached Files
.zip   RSG-02-T170.zip (Size: 236.24 KB / Downloads: 1)

Edit: turns out I in fact am not caught up with reading and this was posted just in reply to part 1 of the report. Whoops

Caught up with reading and damn that's some nice turns. The only possible thing I'm concerned about isn't a problem for our success, quite the opposite - it seems like my fears around this not being much of a variant came true, where our military is hardly harmed at all by the all-small restriction. We can fly circles around the AI even when only a little ahead in tech, or outright equivalent, and it might be just a tad stronger than I feared lol. This really just gives rise to the only *other* non-concern concern I have which is that at this rate, we'll never get to see just how beautiful our fleets would look like with full-on inertial nullifiers, since we'll have won by then. OFC they might even be absent from every tech tree, which would both be more tragic and also eliminate any victory-related tragedy, but overall it's probably just whatever. I'm seeing a happy amount of yellow on that map, and the amount will only grow!

Edit2: Ok, now *actually* caught up - on the note about not being sure how to declare war, it's under the "threaten" menu, which only pops up if you have other valid reasons to fight them. Also the concept of a small missile boat is violently horrifying and I love it. Who's actually next anyway at the moment?
Surprise! Turns out I'm a girl!