As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

SG2- People Who Also Still Want to Get Better at Civ IV

I am thinking since there was overwhelmingly positive reaction to the SG1 game started yesterday, that we can fill up another SG.

Wonders or Blood!

The Gods have decreed from their Olympian perch, "You must feed our lust for Wonders, or appease our wrath through blood sacrifice!"

Variant Rule: Your civilization must build a World Wonder within the first 50 turns, and then another within 25 turns of the completion of your most recent Wonder, or delete every unit possessed by your civilization.

For a leader, we can choose between the three starts I rolled at random below.

Difficulty: Monarch
Speed: Normal
Map: Inland Sea
Map Size: Standard
Climate: Temperate
Sea Level: Medium
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Tech Trading: On
Tech Brokering: Off
Leaders: Restricted
Vassals: Off
Huts: Off
Events: Off

Players:
1. Gold Ergo Sum
2. Tatan
3. Nakor
4. Sciz

Anyone else want in?

Probably Monarch, although I can go to Emperor if people want the challenge. To give a sense of my skill level, I won an Emperor OCC last week, and I've won one game on Immortal in Adventure 45, but I am not sure I have actually played a normal Emperor game from start to finish. I haven't played more than a dozen games from start to finish, but it typically takes me 15-25 hours to play a game on Normal speed. Let's just say I am slow.

If anyone thinks the variant's turn rules (within the first 50 AND every 25 thereafter) are too strict or too lenient, those can be adjusted as well.

I don't really care if we win, I just want to learn. Unlike the other SG, I would encourage aggressive lurking. Anybody who wants to give advice on the best strategic moves, and then criticizes our actual MM immediately afterwards is encouraged. As for turns, I am thinking 20/15/15 and 10 thereafter.

Here is the Stalin start:

[Image: Stalin0000.jpg?t=1285815047]

Here is the Stalin 2 start:

[Image: Stalin20000.jpg]

Here is the Stalin 3 start:

[Image: Stalin30000.jpg]

Stalin is Industrious, so obviously he will be the easiest of the bunch.

Frederick will have Marble at the start, so that is beneficial.

Ragnar looks like the most difficult start for the variant.

Alright, I'm in. [If you don't mind my screw-ups lol]

Game options look fine with me [though I might prefer something a bit more random than Inland Sea; any particular reason you wanted to do it?]

Wonder variant looks interesting. Or [just throwing random things out there], what if we made a rule that we could only have one wonder per city? What if we combined both rules? crazyeye
I'm open to pretty much anything.

Hope we can get a few more people.

Edit: Crosspost.

I vote the Stalin start. After all, everybody loves plains, right? Right?

Seriously, though, it would make for a fun challenge. smile
Played in: PBEM 4 [Formerly Jowy's Peter of Egypt] | PBEM 10 [Napoleon of the Dutch] | PBEM 11 [Shaka of France] | EitB XVI [Valledia of the Amurites] | PB7 [Darius of Rome] | Diplomacy 3 [Austria-Hungary] | PBEMm/o vs AutomatedTeller

I can re-roll starts for each leader if everyone wants something more random. I just chose Inland Sea because I don't think I had ever played it before and it sounded interesting to me.

Don't worry about skill. I am FAR from a seasoned Civ player. I am hoping if some of the more skilled players lurk our game, we can learn a lot from their suggestions and then their criticisms of our inability to execute their suggestions. smile

I'll sign up!
Interesting variant! Stalin seems like the most logical choice. Nice land... lol

I added both of you guys to the roster. I would like to have five people, but I am willing to play with four, or even three, if you guys are willing.

What I really want are a few lurkers who will be willing to critique us as we go.

My inclination is to post this at CivFanatics when it comes time to actually start the game.

Before we start play, we need to strategize what techs we might need when, and what Wonders we hope to build when. Obviously, we will have to adjust as we go. Also, securing stone and marble, if possible, will be key.

I would think culture victory is the way to go, but I am open to anything.

Gold Ergo Sum Wrote:What I really want are a few lurkers who will be willing to critique us as we go.

My inclination is to post this at CivFanatics when it comes time to actually start the game.

Speaking for myself only, I'm much more likely to comment if the game is hosted here rather than at CFC

I'm in if you want me, I've never played on Emperor though, only Monarch (which i've won on, but not all the time)

regoarrarr Wrote:Speaking for myself only, I'm much more likely to comment if the game is hosted here rather than at CFC

Fair enough. My only concern in hosting the game here is whether that was appropriate or not. I'm fairly new around here and I don't know the etiquette for such things. Do we keep the game in this forum, or is there a more appropriate place where we should start a second thread?

Quote: I'm in if you want me, I've never played on Emperor though, only Monarch (which i've won on, but not all the time)

Well, we're playing on Monarch so no worries. And there are no skill requirements to play. If there were, I wouldn't be invited to my own game. lol

I added you to the roster Sciz. We'll wait around for another day or two to see if anyone else wants in.

Questions to be addressed:

1) Is everybody good with Inland Sea and the other settings, or should I re-roll new starts on a different map script?

2) If we are keeping those starts, which one do we want?

3) What are our short-term goals (techs/Wonders) and long-term goals (victory conditions)?

Good to have a fourth player.
Let's get started and post here on RB, if that's ok with you guys.

I'm ok with Inland Seas.
Ok with either Frederick or Stalin.

I think going for Oracle or Stonehenge is the easiest way to go. Maybe Great Wall.

VC could be either Cultural or anything else. We'll have to think about that once the game progresses and we know more about our surroundings and opponents.