As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Daring Deity Civ5 Succession Game

As I wrote on my website, I'm looking at running one Civ5 succession game for the purposes of beating Deity. I think that we have a good enough idea of how the game works to do that without too much trouble. This is planned to be more of a serious venture, and not one of our fun "explore the game" variants, so with apologies I'd like to restrict this to players who have either won on Deity or are destroying the AI with little difficulty on Immortal. I'm also looking for people with at least some familiarity with the mass city spamming tactics, since I view them as so far superior to the default city setup.

Luddite already expressed some interest in the idea; let me know if you're still interested. I'm also talking to alpaca from CivFanatics, the creator of the Infinite Rome game, to see if he wants on board. That still leaves a couple more spots for those of you reading this. [Image: smile.gif]

In terms of game setup, I'm thinking all default map conditions and any civ I haven't already played for variety. Persia might be a good choice; I like their civ ability and their unique building.
Follow Sullla: Website | YouTube | Livestream | Twitter | Discord

May i suggest that you take a civ which is one of the worse ones? That will help to show the power of the ICS strategy, rather then taking a civ which has a lot of strengths.

Looking forward to following this game. Unless the game gets patched before you play I don't foresee any great difficulties.

Amelia Wrote:May i suggest that you take a civ which is one of the worse ones? That will help to show the power of the ICS strategy, rather then taking a civ which has a lot of strengths.

That's an interesting idea which would also create at least a bit of a typical RB variant which could make it more fun. Irregardless, I'm looking forward to following this SG and see what the AI looks like on Deity.

Beat Deity with the Ottomans and I will laugh like the Joker.

That said, I like Persia a lot too; the Satrap's Court is a great building which I've been trying to use on Deity myself.

I'm interested in trying this. I've been working on a couple deity games of my own- the first one was pretty boring since the runaway AI just sat there on another continent without doing anything, and the second one I might actually lose if I can't kill them before they finish the spaceship.

What's your goal with this game, exactly? Do you just want to beat the game in a convincingly, or do you want to highlight why city spam is so broken in the hope that Firaxis will make some major changes to the game? I doubt they'll do that but... you never know.

You can play it with whatever civ you want, it really doesn't matter (Persians are very good, or take the Ottomans for an extra challenge). I'd highly recommend a Pangaea map though- the AI doesn't seem capable of an intercontinental invasion. Admitedly that is quite hard to do even for a human.

I have to warn you that warfare on diety is... tedious. The AI can rebuild units as fast as you kill them, so it takes a long time to chew through the army of a large civ.

luddite Wrote:What's your goal with this game, exactly? Do you just want to beat the game in a convincingly, or do you want to highlight why city spam is so broken in the hope that Firaxis will make some major changes to the game? I doubt they'll do that but... you never know.

Both, ideally. I have no preferences on which civ to play; if people really want to see the awful Ottomans in action, that's fine with me. Assuming that we're correct in our criticisms, I suppose we should be able to win with anyone, right? lol

I'm extremely aware of the tedium of playing on Deity, which is why this is going to be a succession game and not me playing solo. I want some help getting through the turns.
Follow Sullla: Website | YouTube | Livestream | Twitter | Discord

I'll be lurking this with interest.

I'd play.

I'm enjoying uberfish's SG (my first), and would similarly like an opportunity to play deity without having to do all the work myself. lol I haven't played deity but I have no trouble with immortal.

I favor a crappier civ than Persia.

Just throwing in an idea, would Epic speed be more suitable for killing the large quantities of units? Or is that too much tedium?