As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Remnants of the Precursors Showcase Game

Prompted by RefSteel in the thread for the game, this is a report of a run with the intention of showcasing the game and its various improvements/changes over the original MoO. I'll be writing assuming knowledge of the original game, hopefully I won't wind up skimming over new changes in the process.

Anyways, as suggested I went with the following settings: We'll be playing as the Psilons Mentarans, a race with an entirely unique and legally distinct pair of bonuses for 75% of techs showing up in their trees and +50% research. Average map size for 6 opponents and 100 stars, "harder" (6 out of 7) difficulty (usually I play 1 below, but I also don't usually play the strongest race in the game), and "base" AI, which is still significantly smarter than the original's AI, but not as absurd as Modnar (flavourful + strong) or Xilmi (pure strength, AI flavour left by the wayside) can be. For the layout, Ellipse was picked, which comes with 2 suboptions, one that ranges from Circular to Eclipse 4 that determines how flattened vs round the map is, and Void, ranging from no void to 4, which controls the size of a, well, void in the centre of the galaxy, which helps to shape the map a bit more and make it feel less like a regular one with the corners shaved off. I went went with the default of Eclipse 2, and set void from the default none to 1, to try to get more of a shape going on without making it just a loop, but via fiddling with settings you can indeed get a pure ring to play on if you'd like:

Anyways, that's definitely a bit weirder than I'd like for this game. In advanced options the only change was removing all nebulas, because while variety is *interesting* I don't think the specific conditions created by that variety are any fun, but other than that everything stayed the same. Clicked play and here we go:

So that's roughly the shape of the galaxy, with the gap in the middle existing while not being as huge when on the maximum setting. The outermost ring around my capital is the range with ER tanks, next inner one is non-ER range, and the blue circle is the default indicator for planet ownership (obviously colour varies, shape also does once you get enough AIs such that you have to double-up on colours). Generally content with this starting location, though that path north is a bit thin, which I'm sure will be fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine. As for the immediate situation, I sent a scout west and east, then the colony ship up to the orange star, hoping to avoid having to settle for a poor world at the red star (and using the scrollwheel to modify the number of each ship without any clicking). Here's what that decision-making looked like with the range indicator UI toggled on via the 4th button in the top left:

I really can't overstate how useful this is. I can see exactly what range I'd need to get to any star, calculate travel time from anywhere to anywhere, plot expansion.. lovely. The usefulness of this will become much clearer in a couple screenshots. Anyways, hit end turn for 3 turns and the scouting comes back with, uhhhhhhhh...

So here's the systems screen, one of the tabs at least. All shiny and.. yeah none of this can distract from how tragic this all is. One habitable world, 2 hostiles including the one that would set me up for a perfect path north, and the kicker? Well, here's another tab!

Now we can see in glorious HD that that arid planet is, of course, poor. So it's small, substandard, and not in the right direction, but it's the option left open, so I sent the colony ship there and had the scouts head north. Also note how this screen also displays the % of factories on the homeworld out of the maximum, so you can see on the map which colonies are and are not maxed out. Anyways, here's the part where that range indicator comes in handy!

Now we can see with perfect precision exactly how little the new colony will do for us! Current range (which you'll note has its line slightly bolded) leaves us just shy of the southernmost of the two northern stars, though luckily it'll only require range 4 still, and the red can be accessed via range 5. Anyways, I waited for the ships to all shuffle around, and once the colony was founded 3 years later I sent over 9mil pop in 3 batches. Note that in that colony window on the right in the first screenshot that you can see exactly how the population will change in a colony in advance, so I could see that Mentar's population would drop by 0-1 mil each turn I did this, rather than having to guess the precise impact. At around the same time the scouts started arriving, at the blue star they found a toxic 25 (so range 4 wouldn't be enough), leaving the final hope at the red star that requires range 5. And what do I see, just to make these opening turns even more cursed?

The game is officially taunting me now. Yes, it's lovely that it's an artifacts planet, a size 55 steppe to be precise. Yes, I'm theoretically happy that it's a free tech. But it's the most useless possible one! Barring an outright negative result like improved robotics controls III, there is no result that could provide less utility, unless I proceed to get zero range techs prior to researching all the way to either controlled inferno or controlled toxic. Still, the situation wasn't *unplayable*, so I figured the run was still worth being the one to showcase, and went back to building factories and rearranging scouts. Though I really should have built more at this stage, I wasn't as incentivised to do so because scout blockades do nothing in this game and I wouldn't be able to really use anything I'd found until I'd researched further, and building scouts would have simply led to that taking longer. Regardless, before I even had time to make that mistake, you see the sudden unwelcome green ship north of Elion?

I mean, at least it's not the silicoids, and there's a bit of breathing room, but still! We're 10 turns in! A couple turns later the Klackons Kholdan offered a trade deal, which the AI does immediately upon getting within range, I clicked through without thinking but really should have taken a screenshot given that this is a showcase. It's possible to see using that range indicator that it would be pretty hard for them to threaten Maxwell any time soon unless they could leapfrog along the red star, but I mean, it's a red star, of course it wasn't hostile:

As the scouts started to spread out, the need for range 5 became even more clear, as Margulis in the west opened up as another candidate for colonisation. So I went back to anxiously maxing factories, which finished on turn 26:

Mostly just documenting here to show what I mentioned in the other thread about behaviour upon maxing factories, the game immediately starts to try to build up to the default max number of missile bases, currently set to 1. I sent back about 6mil pop from Elion and put everything into research, opening up with just construction (reduced waste 80% over ii9) planetology (improved eco over seemingly-useless controlled barren) and propulsion, opting not to advance that last tech tree by picking range 5 over range 6 (or nuke engines) to get Maxwell and Margulis into range ASAP. While I was getting my act together, I got this frightening notification:

Of course the most successful AI would be the one I started next to, of course! But somehow, this notification came without a colony popping up at Pasteur, they must have been really busy expanding in other directions. It would be a bit before my brain stopped being preoccupied with taking screenshots and writing notes and instead remember to set up basic spying on the bugs to see precisely where their colonies were. Range 5 finished a couple turns after it hit percentages (apparently my notetaking was incapable of noting the year/turn) and I immediately started on a colony ship as the scouts excitedly shuffled around:

This screenshot wasn't taken immediately (as you can see by the colony ship completion time) but rather prompted by my scout being forced to retreat from Pasteur. I wasn't immensely worried about this, the planet wasn't anything exceptional or anything, but I'd still like to have it if possible. Joule in the east was ofc toxic, but the red star even further east combined toxic with also being rich! And size 10, can't get everything.. Then north of Joule was a size 40 Dead Rich world, followed by a barren 40 (controlled barren looking a bit more useful now). At this point my research had largely been put on hold, every tech had been in the percentages so I'd gotten the initial wave (with the second tier being ii8 with no choices, controlled dead with no choices (or complaints), and nuclear engines) but hadn't made a dent on getting any more. I did manage to snag Maxwell though, prompting some satisfying scout rollouts and Elion providing the population for it:

That blue ship would belong to the Mrrshan Fiershan, who'd eventually show up at the orange star north of the hostile trio I was just talking about. At this point I'd gotten out 3 colony ships, but the Kholdan were contesting my second two planned planets, so I had built a round of basic fighters to try to push them off, which succeeded at Margulis but failed at Pasteur, renamed to Chojolom by the bugs. I built a couple more colony ships and sent them north with the expectation that they'd find something to be useful for, but the combination of finally getting spies up and scout reports in painted a bleak picture:

Not only were there no non-hostile planets in range, there weren't even ones *outside* of current range! I switched back to research at this stage, which was going well, until of *course* the virus event hit nuclear engines, because why wouldn't it! But there was one bright spot on the technology front:

Here's the comparative tech display produced by spying. As you can see, neither AI had any colonisation-related tech I lacked, meaning there was no threat of them snapping up any of the colonies I couldn't yet found. It was at around this point, turn 60, that I stopped my first session:

There's definitely been a lot of skimming so far, but there's just not that much to talk about early-game, even in one as exciting as this, especially given what portion of the "wildness" came down to shock at what I *couldn't* do. Future entries should hopefully be more structured and/or interesting. You can see based on the orbs below the treasury capacity on the left that I'm about halfway to all 3 techs, once I get engines + controlled dead I'll probably open up the other 3 categories too. Anyways, happy to answer questions about anything related to the game!
Surprise! Turns out I'm a girl!

Definitely some cool things. I always struggle with these types of updates for these old games, and some aspects of newer 4x games in general. For on thing I think that too much setup customization presents its own set of problems. Obviously, having a lot of ways to customize the game lets a player tailor a game to their liking, but it also takes away from everyone playing "the same game". Once you throw in mods and setup customization it often ends up that everyone is then playing a different game, so discussions about tactics and strategies end up no longer being relevant because everyone is really playing a different game. I'm not sure if this games goes that far or not.

But for example the new Master of Magic remake suffers from this, especially since it is highly moddable. With so many mods, it ends up that no one is really playing the same game anymore, which, IMO, is a big part of the appeal of these games since you don't really play them as a shared multiplayer experience.

So while you have lets options, once of the nice things about classic MoO is that there are just very basic starting settings, so its easy to develop standard of communication and understanding around.

It does look cool though, I may give it a try. But I still think that some of the shortcomings of the original are also what make it endearing smile

That’s all very fair. Generally galaxy size (which has always been an option, just with different bounds) and the nebula disabling are the only things I mess with, but you really don’t *have* to change much at all, there’s no reason why you can’t follow specifically the setup-related shortcomings. Or do you find some of the UI difficulties to also be part of the endearing nature? Anyways, there’s also mods that can change things a fair bit, but there’s no need for them either, and in general the community for the game doesn’t seem large enough such that there is too much variation to compare against, so I mostly just compared my runs to the base game. Basically, I can see your concerns and I’ve definitely seen it happen with other games, this just feels like one where culturally the default isn’t to be, well, majorly non-default. And regardless of what other sites do, there’s no need to stray far when on RB.

Side note but I just viewed the post on mobile and it seems that the forum software warps the aspect ratio of any images that are too wide for the screen, such that it looks awful. Anyone know of a solution for this? Do I just have to drop the resolution further?

Try using the [ screenshot ] tag instead of the img tag, that should auto resize by default and expand to original if you click on the image.

Thanks for posting this, Dp101. thumbsup

I have also been playing a game of RotP, and so far I am liking it quite a lot. The interface offers a lot of useful info and has options to turn on/off lots of different things, so you can adjust things to your liking. But the game feels very MOO, and it is definitely possible to take the defaults and just jump right in and play it like you would the original.

I would note that there is a very nice and helpful manual, which provides a good explanation and overview of the game. It has a helpful "what is new for MOO veterans" section to help people get right into the game without having to read the whole thing. It also has lots of details, tables, and such for those who do want all the info. None of the general game info will be surprising to experienced MOO players, but it is nice to have things laid out in one document for easy reference (diplo base states, tech field ratings for the various races, weapons tables, etc.). Definite kudos on the manual, nice job.

As for the game play itself, one immediate difference (as Dp101 noted) is that scout blockades no longer work. Unarmed ships can coexist in a system, so if you want to blockade enemy scouts you will need an armed ship. And since you can't fit a laser on a small hull with reserve fuel tanks at the start...blockading early is NOT a cheap option. You can cover non-reserve fuel tanks range worlds easily enough, but it certainly changes the opening decisions a bit.

My opening world luck has been similar to Dp101's -- I got a poor size 50 for my second world, with a size 35 also available from that one, then some hostiles blocking the way to the rest of the galaxy. Oh well, two habitable worlds is something at least, even if they are small and one is poor. I am playing the lizards (the Ssslaurens in RotP) so I should be able to do something about those hostiles down the road.

The interface takes a little getting used to -- there are more settings and options available to play with -- but it is familiar enough for a MOO vet to just jump right in without any problems. I am enjoying the game a lot so far. The devs have done a nice job with RotP offering an updated experience but still being MOO.

Wow -- that looks pretty great! Thanks for showcasing this! Am I seeing correctly that rival ships show their destinations too without Improved Scanners? (At least in some cases - does it wait until they've been in view for two consecutive turns, or until you have a spy planted, or...?) And wow, that's a frighteningly hostile galaxy. I'm impressed by the AI expansion too. MoO AI could match it easily, but only because of getting colships for free (which I don't think happens in Remnants). I wonder how much bonus production the AI gets at "harder" difficulty....

From reading the (quite good) manual, I believe you need a spy network in place and/or improved scanners to see other races' ship destinations.

Another thing I am liking about RotP is the more transparent diplo system. You can see, Civ IV style, the factors that are affecting your relations with other races. Trade deals, breaking treaties, spies caught causing trouble -- they get listed and the size of the impact is shown. As a veteran MOO player, I was aware that all these things were going on under the hood. But it is nice to have them actually shown, particularly for games that are split across multiple sessions that are sometimes days apart. Loading up the save and trying to recall just why the rocks (or whoever) were so unhappy with you could be a pain sometimes.

Some people probably will not like it, since it is info you did not have access to in the original game. But making the diplo system more open was apparently once of their design goals with the game, and this certainly helps do that.

Wow, I wasn't expecting this much interest in this thread lol. I keep forgetting that these forums are largely sleeping, not dead. Hopefully I'll have the next set of turns up in the next couple of days.

It also seems like in the time since I last used the site multiquotes stopped working (I click the "quote these posts now" button and it just spins a loading thing for a while) so this was annoying to set up:

(April 2nd, 2024, 14:20)El Grillo Wrote: Try using the [ screenshot ] tag instead of the img tag, that should auto resize by default and expand to original if you click on the image.

Changed to this, hopefully it looks better. I happen to have a 4k monitor so the resolution being either smallish or max is probably not the kindest compared to me previously scaling everything to 1280p wide, open to feedback as to what people prefer.

(April 2nd, 2024, 19:58)RefSteel Wrote: Wow -- that looks pretty great! Thanks for showcasing this! Am I seeing correctly that rival ships show their destinations too without Improved Scanners? (At least in some cases - does it wait until they've been in view for two consecutive turns, or until you have a spy planted, or...?) And wow, that's a frighteningly hostile galaxy. I'm impressed by the AI expansion too. MoO AI could match it easily, but only because of getting colships for free (which I don't think happens in Remnants). I wonder how much bonus production the AI gets at "harder" difficulty....

I'm not sure which screenshot you see rival ship paths in, because none show up in those - in some cases you might be seeing my ships retreating right on top of AI paths (4th to last screenshot around Naachtum, note the 2 opposite-facing ship icons stacked on top of each other), not sure if something else is going on. The manual unfortunately doesn't state the magnitude of the AI's production bonuses based on difficulty, so it's hard to know how much help they have there, beyond knowing the answer is "some".

(April 2nd, 2024, 21:59)haphazard1 Wrote: From reading the (quite good) manual, I believe you need a spy network in place and/or improved scanners to see other races' ship destinations.

Another thing I am liking about RotP is the more transparent diplo system. You can see, Civ IV style, the factors that are affecting your relations with other races. Trade deals, breaking treaties, spies caught causing trouble -- they get listed and the size of the impact is shown. As a veteran MOO player, I was aware that all these things were going on under the hood. But it is nice to have them actually shown, particularly for games that are split across multiple sessions that are sometimes days apart. Loading up the save and trying to recall just why the rocks (or whoever) were so unhappy with you could be a pain sometimes.

Some people probably will not like it, since it is info you did not have access to in the original game. But making the diplo system more open was apparently once of their design goals with the game, and this certainly helps do that.

Could you point out the part in the manual where spy networks let you see fleet paths? I did a quick search for it and saw nothing, not sure if I'm just missing it though. The improved diplo visibility is certainly nice as a learning tool, though ultimately most of what the AIs think is fairly clear so the gamechanging part for me is less the pure "why" and more of learning how much the AIs care about different things. Of course, sometimes this is immensely frustrating, as in almost all my games I wind up with a neighbour who's hopeless at spying so constantly gets hit by really bad spy penetrations that hit the threshold for framing an empire, and sometimes I've seen this happen *every single turn* for 10+ turns, at which point I just turn my spies on them too since they already hate me anyway lol. Glad it hasn't happened (yet) this game.

I rechecked the manual, and I was confused. Spy networks do not appear to have anything to do with detecting ship paths. That should be scanner tech as usual. Sorry, too much info whirling around in my brain. crazyeye

Really looking forward to reading this thread as it goes on. I gave RotP a small try a long time ago, probably less than it deserved even then, but just drifted back to MoO as a habit - plus performance reasons on my laptop. But I've upgraded since then, so ...
It may have looked easy, but that is because it was done correctly - Brian Moore