As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

A good example of coming from behind with the Darloks

Just finished up a fun game with Darloks on Impossible. It was a classic case of being able to come from behind with them. Overall, Darloks are certainly my favorite race to play, even though Klackons are stronger. I had to go back to old saves to get pics, and I didn't have saves for all the best times, so there are some gaps. This was Impossible Medium map. 

Started out with a decent map and some challenging opponents:

The close green star on the lower right ended up being Ultra Poor, but I went ahead anyway. 

For quite a while I only had contact with the Silicoids and Mrrshan. I was planning to go against the Silis but then the Klackons got involved and I decided to go after them instead, as they were a softer target. I had been able to acquire a good selection planets early on by setting the forward planets ASAP and then filling in my back field, which you'll see in the next map. I started spying almost right way, but made sure to start trade agreements on the first turn of meeting and also gave some minor tribute.

I met the Psilons around 2447:

I was worried when I saw them, as they looked to be a good bit ahead and with a sizable population. I got spies in ASAP to see what they had. 

Looked like they were pretty well ahead. I was contemplating just throwing in the towel, but since I was Darloks I went ahead. 

Here's what the map looked like by this point: 

So far everything had been peaceful. A few rebuffed skirmishes. The Psilons actually attacked a planet of mine, but I was barely able to drive them away with Planetary Shields and Scatter Packs and then they just left me alone for a bit. 

So I launched an attack on the Klackons as of this turn, but I didn't have much to work with:

I attacked the closest green star right below the red one near my home world in the map above.

This is how my research was set:

It mostly stayed about that like through most of the game, a few changes here and there. 

You can see why I didn't go after the Silis:

So this was how things looked at the mid-game. I had some decent planets, but was pretty far behind the Psilons in tech, especially in computers, which had me worried. But I was able to get good relations with them long enough while I started taking over the Klackons.

By 2491 I had taken a single Klackon planet and was ready to move on to launch an attack on Kholdan proper.

My fleet had improved some by this point. I had gotten in good with the Pslions, through a combination of trade, tribute and blaming everyone else when spying on them. I had gotten lucky with teh spy hits on them and didn't get caught, even though I was behind in tech. I didn't do any save scumming, just went with the rolls. 

But you can see that even though I had gotten some computer tech, they were still really pulling ahead. 

I basically took over the Klackons but left them with a single planet. 

By 2528 things were looking up:

The two rich worlds near me had been taken by the Silis, since they were Toxic. I had planned to take them back, but ended getting an alliance with the Silis that lasted the rest of the game, so I went after the rich and Ultra Rich worlds at the bottom. 

By this point I was ready to take on the Psilons so I launched an attack on their Ultra Rich world. I was opportunistic and was able to get it before they got missile bases up on it. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

My last save was about 20 turns before the end, so its not exactly the end game. But this is how things were started it turn out: 

I did take Orion, most just to get the tech and keep the Psilons from getting it. I let them settle it, then took it from them. 

The Silis were keeping them quite occupied as well. Once I got the good planets I just went on a bombing raid, but closely managed their population so as to keep them in second place to win by vote.

And this is why I like the Darloks. So fun to come from behind like this, and they are really the only race that can do, at least in my experience.