As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Politics Discussion Thread (Heated Arguing Warning)

It's a minor capitulation that is going to fool nobody and will not end until ICE gets abolished and all the perpetrators are Weisenthal'd.

popcorn

Did the left just successfully persuade Trump to bypass congress and ignore existing court decisions?

(June 21st, 2018, 02:05)ipecac Wrote: popcorn

Did the left just successfully persuade Trump to bypass congress and ignore existing court decisions?

Yes, but GWB, Trump earlier and Obama did it too so no-one cares.

DEMs won't push as much as they can to avoid forcing a crisis before victory is assured in 2024. DACA fold is a good example. This just means that they will have an even easier time holding out until 2024. Once GOP loses control of the White House for the last time people will forget about this because the DEMs can and will reverse this without fear because there won't be other GOP president again.

Nikki Hayley will be elected president in 2024, if not 2020, lacking any personal force majeure. There's just no other US politician that comes close even close in the combination of factors that she's got.
DL: PB12 | Playing: PB13

(June 21st, 2018, 11:27)Bacchus Wrote: Nikki Hayley will be elected president in 2024, if not 2020, lacking any personal force majeure. There's just no other US politician that comes close even close in the combination of factors that she's got.

Which factors ? Having opinions that are rejected by a majority of Americans on pretty much all issues ?

(June 21st, 2018, 12:24)AdrienIer Wrote:
(June 21st, 2018, 11:27)Bacchus Wrote: Nikki Hayley will be elected president in 2024, if not 2020, lacking any personal force majeure. There's just no other US politician that comes close even close in the combination of factors that she's got.

Which factors ? Having opinions that are rejected by a majority of Americans on pretty much all issues ?

Unfortunately due to our atrocious voting system, that's not necessarily a problem. (Though I disagree that Hayley has much of a shot.)

A question to all who oppose the policy of separation of children from parents: what is your preferred alternative? All I heard so far:
1) Turn children into Get Out of Jail card. Any policy which grants immigrants with children any kind of preferential treatment falls into that category. I think that this "solution" is much inferior to what we have now as it creates horrible incentives.
2) Keep children together with parents in prisons. This is strictly illegal and, as I see here, this is not what the Left want.
3) Throw the border wide open. This is politically unrealistic.
A funny thing: I always believed that idea of building the wall is one of Trump's more exotic proposals. But the more I read about the actual situation on US-Mexico border, the more obvious it is to me that the wall is the most practical and human solution.

This is a false choice, because it wasn't a problem before Trump changed the rules. Lone minors, families and adults were treated differently.

The USA is not complying to international law, because an asylum seeker has no way to legally enter the territory of the US. That person will be refused at the border, or treated as a criminal if they enter illegally. Then, they get a chance to ask for asylum in front of an overworked court, without the help of a lawyer. The current situation is nothing like normal checks at a border, unlike what some want us to believe.

BTW good luck building a wall on the Rio Grande.

(June 24th, 2018, 09:33)AdrienIer Wrote: This is a false choice, because it wasn't a problem before Trump changed the rules. Lone minors, families and adults were treated differently.

From my understanding, before Trump changed the rules children were Get Out of Jail card which is for obvious reason unacceptable. Am I correct that you see no problem with this?

The Wall is a waste of money, most illegal immigrants are people overstaying work visas. Also border hopping is already dangerous and unlikely to be succesful as is, a fence isn't going to change that a whole lot. Oh and of course the small problem that walls aren't that hard to circumvent in the 21st century when we have such things as planes and seaworthy boats...

Parents being incarcerated together with their children is policy throughout the world so I don't know where you got the idea that it's somehow illegal Gavagai? Besides the main problem the ""left"" (i.e. anyone who is reasonably opposed to this policy) has is that it happens to legal asylum seekers. It would be a brutal policy but not strictly bad if it was done to those proven illegals, but to those using their international right to asylum without any trial? That is lunacy, no other way to describe it... well fascist also pretty much covers it, but then those are inseperable terms anyway.